The Student Room Group

Your views on a 20yr male sexting a 16yr old girl.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BicepPeak
Say I was sexting a 16 year old (im 20), didn't send any sexually explicit photos, maybe the odd topless one but generally just explicit messages, would you say it's okay, im not aware of the law regarding this.

That's the question I'm asking lol. There appears to be a lot of grey areas. And it will depend on intent and solicitation I guess.
Original post by Ethereal World
That's the question I'm asking lol. There appears to be a lot of grey areas. And it will depend on intent and solicitation I guess.

The age difference isn't that bad!
16 year olds can legally consent to having sex with someone of any age, so i don't see why the same rule shouldn't apply to sexting (such a wide term anyway).
1/2(20) + 7 = 17.

Too young. Arrest him.
Although it's illegal, do you think it's morally wrong. ? What if they're actually dating ?

what's the problem???
Reply 45
Original post by thefatone
what's the problem???

I did leave 'sexting' up to interpretation, but if there's nudes involved then it becomes illegal. But what about if there is no sexually explicit images involved and just messages.
I did leave 'sexting' up to interpretation, but if there's nudes involved then it becomes illegal. But what about if there is no sexually explicit images involved and just messages.

questionable relationship if nudes are involved i'd say

i guess then there's not a problem... not in my eyes anyway
Original post by the bear
you are quite correct... but PC Plod is the forces of law and order are more interested in busting people for rude pictures than rude epigrams.

Agreed, although the original question was whether a 20 year-old sexting a 16 year-old is illegal. If sexting doesn't necessarily include nude photos then it isn't necessarily unlawful (at least on the basis you've set out), if indeed its unlawful at all. Which bring me to the added part (b) to my previous post - can you point me to legislation which supports what you're saying?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 48
I did answer in relation to text - as long as the person is of the age of consent it wouldn't be deemed abusive. As long as they want the messages. You can't just randomly text a girl something. You also have to be aware of her mental capacity because that can change the age of consent to 18.

Basically it's just better to leave the kids alone.
Let her focus on her GCSE's fam...

Spoiler

Reply 50
Original post by TheGreatImposter
Its absolutely disgusting and the fact that some people get away with it is even worse. If you're a minor and you're taking advantage of someone who may be vulnerable is unacceptable.

What's wrong with sexting someone who can legally actually have real non-text-based sex?
Original post by RobML
What's wrong with sexting someone who can legally actually have real non-text-based sex?

Okay let's say you're 22/23, and you're graduated and maybe even have a job. A girl who just turned 16 is doing her GCSE's, what do you have in common? You're treating the girl like a booty call when she's at the age where she's probably started getting attention from boys, it's exciting and she'll probably fall for the guy when the guy may not feel the same way. She's more vulnerable to doing something she regrets/ sending nudes. Okay I know I'm generalising and there are exceptions e.g. the girl may feel ready to have sex/ want to sext and may be in relationship etc. So yes the legal age may be 16 but they may not be mentally prepared/ rushed into something they may not want to do.

So THAT is what is wrong.
Age of consent is 16 yes, however I'm sure it's illegal to sext under 18s

only if you are exchanging indecent images....
Reply 53
Okay let's say you're 22/23, and you're graduated and maybe even have a job. A girl who just turned 16 is doing her GCSE's, what do you have in common? You're treating the girl like a booty call when she's at the age where she's probably started getting attention from boys, it's exciting and she'll probably fall for the guy when the guy may not feel the same way. She's more vulnerable to doing something she regrets/ sending nudes. Okay I know I'm generalising and there are exceptions e.g. the girl may feel ready to have sex/ want to sext and may be in relationship etc. So yes the legal age may be 16 but they may not be mentally prepared/ rushed into something they may not want to do.

So THAT is what is wrong.

I thought you were saying it's always disgusting, which seemed kind of ridiculous to me. It's clear when someone's taking advantage in a harmful manner (knowing all the facts ofc), but otherwise, there's not enough there to have such a strong view against it. Also I might be a little high and so probably not making full sense.
Although it's illegal, do you think it's morally wrong. ? What if they're actually dating ?

It is illegal and two 14 year olds can't do it with each other either.

https://www.disrespectnobody.co.uk/sexting/advice/
Original post by RobML
I thought you were saying it's always disgusting, which seemed kind of ridiculous to me. It's clear when someone's taking advantage in a harmful manner (knowing all the facts ofc), but otherwise, there's not enough there to have such a strong view against it. Also I might be a little high and so probably not making full sense.

I just think that it's wrong to prey on young girls and ask for nudes. Okay I can kinda get the fact that if two 16 year olds want to sext or whatever but there's a bit of a age gap between 16 and 20. Sometimes guys may send "dick pics" to a girl who's young and they may feel like they have to return the favour. Why is it such a big deal to wait a couple of years where both parties know what they're getting themselves into. You were not at the same maturity at 16 as you are now, heck, even my maturity has changed a lot over the past few years.
Reply 56
I just think that it's wrong to prey on young girls and ask for nudes. Okay I can kinda get the fact that if two 16 year olds want to sext or whatever but there's a bit of a age gap between 16 and 20. Sometimes guys may send "dick pics" to a girl who's young and they may feel like they have to return the favour. Why is it such a big deal to wait a couple of years where both parties know what they're getting themselves into. You were not at the same maturity at 16 as you are now, heck, even my maturity has changed a lot over the past few years.

I'm not talking about nudes, btw. As a guy I'll admit they're nearly always a gesture of wanting something in return, and doing that with a 16 yr old is most definitely wrong.
Original post by RobML
I'm not talking about nudes, btw. As a guy I'll admit they're nearly always a gesture of wanting something in return, and doing that with a 16 yr old is most definitely wrong.

I'm glad you could see my viewpoint :h:
I think there's a big problem with the law here tbh. If it is illegal for a 16-17.999 year old to sexualise their bodies i.e. By taking and sending nudes, irrelevant of how old the recipient is, then it should be illegal to sexualise their body by actually having sex.

If people believe this law is fair then I would be surprised if you don't support raising age of consent to 18, since that's apparently when you're adult enough to make decisions about what to do with your own body.

At 16, admittedly, I was ready to do neither and thus did neither (probably cause I had a Nokia 3210 :rofl: as well). But if I had a choice about whether to have sex or send a nude at 16, in terms of the least effect on me mentally/emotionally if I wasn't ready, I would choose the latter. Hence why I believe the law is clearly quite inconsistent.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by Ethereal World
I think there's a big problem with the law here tbh. If it is illegal for a 16-17.999 year old to sexualise their bodies i.e. By taking and sending nudes, irrelevant of how old the recipient is, then it should be illegal to sexualise their body by actually having sex.

If people believe this law is fair then I would be surprised if you don't support raising age of consent to 18, since that's apparently when you're adult enough to make decisions about what to do with your own body.

At 16, admittedly, I was ready to do neither and thus did neither (probably cause I had a Nokia 3210 :rofl: as well). But if I had a choice about whether to have sex or send a nude at 16, in terms of the least effect on me mentally/emotionally if I wasn't ready, I would choose the latter. Hence why I believe the law is clearly quite inconsistent.

Aren't 16 year old allowed to get married? Yet they're still deemed as children who can be manipulated?

Doesn't make sense tbh... :s-smilie:

So you're right, it is inconsistent. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest