The Student Room Group

French

Hey,
I have my A Level French Oral exam in about 2 weeks and I was wondering if anyone has some useful phrases I could throw in? Especially phrases that could also show my opinion rather than just 'A mon avis' or 'Je pense' etc
Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by katycheung
Hey,
I have my A Level French Oral exam in about 2 weeks and I was wondering if anyone has some useful phrases I could throw in? Especially phrases that could also show my opinion rather than just 'A mon avis' or 'Je pense' etc
Thanks in advance!

@FrenchUnicorn maybe able to help you :yep:
Hey,
Thanks in advance!

Hey !
I suggest you to use such sentences/connectives :
Dans un premier temps -> in the 1st instance
Par ailleurs -> furthermore
En outre -> Besides
Il est vrai que -> admitteldly
Je reconnais que -> I recognize that
Je suppose que -> I suppose
Apparemment -> Apparently
J'admets que -> I admit that
Pour conclure -> to concluse
Je dirais que -> I'd say that

Let me know if you need more help :h:

Original post by fatima1998

:hugs:
Reply 3
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
Hey !
I suggest you to use such sentences/connectives :
Dans un premier temps -> in the 1st instance
Par ailleurs -> furthermore
En outre -> Besides
Il est vrai que -> admitteldly
Je reconnais que -> I recognize that
Je suppose que -> I suppose
Apparemment -> Apparently
J'admets que -> I admit that
Pour conclure -> to concluse
Je dirais que -> I'd say that

Let me know if you need more help :h:

:hugs:

Thank you so much for the alternatives! I was running out of non repetitive phrases! So nervous for speaking eep (>.<)
Reply 4
Original post by fatima1998

Thank you! :h:
Thank you so much for the alternatives! I was running out of non repetitive phrases! So nervous for speaking eep (>.<:wink:

You're welcome :h:
I'm a french native don't hesitate if you ever need help again :h:
D'une telle manière [insert]
Quoique je sois tout à fait d'accord, en revanche
Par ailleurs
Il parait évident que
C'est un sujet polemique
Le gouvernement est souvent tenu responsable pour les soucis d'aujourd'hui de la société telles que la pauvrété (back of my head)

Didn't know you did GCSE
(edited 8 years ago)

Dans quelle situation aurait-il mieux utiliser plutôt que, au lieu d'au lieu de (mdrrr)
Reply 8

That's great! :h: I could definitely use a little help for the upcoming exams... I'm most nervous about listening as it was my weakest at GCSE, as for speaking, I did really well but I'm always nervous before the exams... I really want to ace it A Level and feel more confident with the language!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Pablo Picasso
D'une telle manière [insert]
Quoique je sois tout à fait d'accord, en revanche
Par ailleurs
Il parait évident que
C'est un sujet polemique
Le gouvernement est souvent tenu responsable pour les problèmes d'aujourd'hui de la société telles que la pauvrété (back of my head)

Didn't know you did GCSE

Thank you! :h: No, I've done my GCSEs, I'm just worrying about the upcoming A Level exams aha, especially my French oral. I'm on AQA too :smile:
Hi, I'm only doing iGCSE but my exams are also on the spot so, in addition to the above, I also use:
J'imagine que...
Je dois admettre que...
Je ne crois pas que ce soit ... (uses subjunctive) + something like 'juste', 'necessaire' etc.
Bien que je sache que...
On pourrait dire que...
Il me parait que...
Il me semble que...

Start all your sentences with adverbs:
ie. Cependant, personellement, honnetement, (mal)heureusement, probablement (you can kind of use them to buy yourself time)
Thank you! :h: No, I've done my GCSEs, I'm just worrying about the upcoming A Level exams aha, especially my French oral. I'm on AQA too :smile:

AS or A2?
Reply 12
AS or A2?

AS, I'm nearing the end of year 12. You?
AS, I'm nearing the end of year 12. You?

A2 good luck
Dans quelle situation aurait-il mieux utiliser plutôt que, au lieu d'au lieu de (mdrrr)

Tu peux les utiliser dans les mêmes situations, c'est exactement la même chose :yep:

That's great! :h: I could definitely use a little help for the upcoming exams... I'm most nervous about listening as it was my weakest at GCSE, as for speaking, I did really well but I'm always nervous before the exams... I really want to ace it A Level and feel more confident with the language!

Don't worry I bet you can :five:

To improve your french I suggest you to :
- listen to french music everyday (Stromae, Louane, Indila, Shym..)
- read a bit of a french book everyday before you go to sleep
- watch 10min of the french news everyday

I insist, do the above EVERYDAY , it does not need a big effort and you'll become really familiar with french pretty quickly, which is good for your GCSE :wink:

If you have more time you can also watch all your movies settled in french with english subtitles ^^
Reply 15
A2 good luck

Thank you, you too :smile:
j'préconserai Europe Un sur YouTube si tu veux entendre des nouvelles
Reply 17
Tu peux les utiliser dans les mêmes situations, c'est exactement la même chose :yep:

Don't worry I bet you can :five:

To improve your french I suggest you to :
- listen to french music everyday (Stromae, Louane, Indila, Shym..)
- read a bit of a french book everyday before you go to sleep
- watch 10min of the french news everyday

I insist, do the above EVERYDAY , it does not need a big effort and you'll become really familiar with french pretty quickly, which is good for your GCSE :wink:

If you have more time you can also watch all your movies settled in french with english subtitles ^^

Ooh, okay! I shall try that for the next few weeks :smile: I finished my GCSEs last year XD I'm doing my AS Level, sorry for the confusion :colondollar:
Ooh, okay! I shall try that for the next few weeks :smile: I finished my GCSEs last year XD I'm doing my AS Level, sorry for the confusion :colondollar:

My bad ! And not your fault ^^
I wish you best lucks for it then :h:
Of you have some french work to correct in the future don't hesitate to tag/PM me :yep:
Oh I forgot to add this:

'elargir mes horizons' (broaden my horizons), idk it just sounds really nice and French when you say it :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending