The Student Room Group

Approaching Secondary PGCE/School Direct Interview for Dance

I'm looking for a bit of guidance really from anyone who is doing/already has completed a PGCE/School direct for Dance.

I have an interview lined up for a school direct and have had the details sent through today,
Informing me that I have to teach a 40 minute lesson to a year 7 group of girls.

My main concern is that I have no idea what to expect - I have attended a number of job interviews for dance in the formal education sector but they've all asked that I teach 30 mins to a GCSE class that I have always flown through!

They've said it will be an 'introductory' dance lesson and that I should assume they have little or no dance experience - so I'm struggling for an idea to plan my lesson on!

id really appreciate anyone sharing their experiences with me of how the interview went and what I should/could expect from it!

Did anyone else get given a year 7 or lower school group - I'm concerned I might struggle to demonstrate my knowledge and skills if I have to assume these kids haven't danced before!

Thanks in advance! X
Original post by Louise2234
I'm looking for a bit of guidance really from anyone who is doing/already has completed a PGCE/School direct for Dance.

I have an interview lined up for a school direct and have had the details sent through today,
Informing me that I have to teach a 40 minute lesson to a year 7 group of girls.

My main concern is that I have no idea what to expect - I have attended a number of job interviews for dance in the formal education sector but they've all asked that I teach 30 mins to a GCSE class that I have always flown through!

They've said it will be an 'introductory' dance lesson and that I should assume they have little or no dance experience - so I'm struggling for an idea to plan my lesson on!

id really appreciate anyone sharing their experiences with me of how the interview went and what I should/could expect from it!

Did anyone else get given a year 7 or lower school group - I'm concerned I might struggle to demonstrate my knowledge and skills if I have to assume these kids haven't danced before!

Thanks in advance! X

I admit I know nothing about dance but I remember a PE lesson from when I was in year 7 or 8 where we had to think of our favourite music videos (oh the age of MTV) and try and come up with a dance routine inspired by these. You could do something similar?
Reply 2
Original post by alymau
I admit I know nothing about dance but I remember a PE lesson from when I was in year 7 or 8 where we had to think of our favourite music videos (oh the age of MTV) and try and come up with a dance routine inspired by these. You could do something similar?

Thank you for your reply and advice for that matter! I've also been trying to think back to my year 7 dance lessons - tough as it was a looong time ago now! Got a few ideas together so going to get a strong couple of lesson plans and go from there! Thanks for your help! X
Teach them the chorus to a popular dance song? Like Justin Bieber? or One Direction? Or find a video which has a lot of dance in it and teach them a few techniques.

You could look at expressive dance and what different movements means.

Or you could look at Thai dance where each movement represents a piece of a story - this would be a cultural lesson too.
Sorry if this is too late!

Im 17 and hoping to go to dance school next ear, but i teach year 7, 8 and 9 voluntarily dance at my school.

Heres some ideas which I have used...

I am working on a show with them at the moment, and I have put together a short song edited of 4 different tracks which they dance ballet, contemporary, jazz and street to. I edited them well together so it sounds ok, but this can help you demonstrate your skills in all areas, and creativity, giving about 20-30 seconds for each section. The kids wont get too bored either!

When teaching contemporary, if I feel they arent putting enough emotion in their dance I make them stand towards the wall with their eyes closed and play the song, telling them to think of something that reminds them of the song. Then make them dance it again.

I also will do improvisation (in twos) from the corner, usually on a high level form the right corner, and floor work only from the left corner.

You could also progress in styles during the lesson, e.g. doing a jazzy cardio warm up, then focus exercised that are ballet based. With it being young girls, ballet is always a good one!

Use up to date music, not necesscarily your taste, but what you think their taste will be! But nothing too cringey that they might hate it. Here are songs Ive put into the peice for my kids at the moment = Catch and release (matt simmons deepend remix), to build a home (cinematic orchestra), beat it (MJ), and no money (galantis).

I also give them cards. I have 4 lots - actions space dynamics and relationships. Each couple get one card from each pile. You can either help them then choreograph a short duo inspired from these, or teach them a short section of choreography and get them to identify which from the cards can apply to it.

Another good one is using twister - each dot can have an action space dynamic or relationship on it. Once they are all tangled up in the game, get them to write down their dots and create choreography.

The last idea I have is bringing in materials, e.g. cloth, or objects, to base a dance on. They could even use large peices of cloth in their dance which is always fun and a bit different.

You could also show them some stuff online, videos etc, see what they react best to and give them choreography based on that style, so your prepared for each style but know your giving them what they want most.

Hope this is of some use...

Claudia x
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending