The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SmashConcept
It's an interesting one. I don't know the numbers, but surely this year's top 8 must have an unprecedented amount of capital already invested in QBs. Dallas, SD, Baltimore and Philly are all paying franchise money, as are SF if they can't offload Kaep. Jacksonville has a high draft choice in there and will obviously not be going QB. Cleveland has two players making high level backup/low starter money and IMO will only take a QB if it just so happens that they disagree with the Rams on which one is better out of Wentz and Goff.

I don't see Glennon being very compelling trade bait (at least for you guys to move up in round 1) for that reason. The only team that can be considered to have a pressing need there is San Francisco. I see them moving up a couple of spots to secure Goff, but not moving down and going into camp with Glennon and Gabbert. That just sounds like a great way to get fired to me.

It seems that although it's NFL lore that there are always only 20-25 qualified QBs to do 32 jobs, that is not really true at the moment because 5-6 spots are being filled by players over 35. I don't know if that is an unusual number though. It does feel as if an uncommon number of teams are comfortable with their QB right now though. Curious about other people's thoughts on this.

I do see where you are coming from. If we unloaded glennon for a back end first early second some how though it would give us ammunition. But yeah the qb is saturated because of these old guys going and going and going. Teams keep paying them and they do a job.
Original post by ..DT..
I do see where you are coming from. If we unloaded glennon for a back end first early second some how though it would give us ammunition. But yeah the qb is saturated because of these old guys going and going and going. Teams keep paying them and they do a job.

Yeah I just think you're tripping on optimism if you think anyone gives up their first rounder for Glennon. I honestly think that whatever his trade value does happen to be, it will turn out to be less than his value as a solid backup.
Reply 2142
Yeah I need the Browns to go QB at #2 despite that being a stupid decision or for the Jaguars it's really as you were, the order of play will be reshuffled but we'll get left with Jack, Ramsey or Bosa. I really don't want a DE with no bend if I'm brutally honest so I hope it's one of the other two. The nightmare arises if nobody picks Tunsil because that leaves them with no defensive players that actually make sense for them in the top five. Any media guy drafting them Buckner or Hargreaves fails to understand the scheme/needs.
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't see how you could be that upset with Tunsil. There are ways to get defenders other than your first draft pick.

Watched some of Paxton Lynch yesterday. Would be very surprised if he goes in round 1.
Watching an American football game irl right now.

Harder to follow with no game clock and commentators. In Wembley you can see game clock and hear ref, in this field I have the refs symbols I don't understand most of.
The Rams have really messed up the QB market now. Lynch isn't a top 15 talent, yet, I've seen a mock draft which has him at #7. He'd be a nice fit for the Bills, I guess, but he'd fit especially nicely in Arizona at #28. He has the highest upside of any QB in the draft, but of the top QBs, he easily has the lowest floor. His footwork is a mess, he misses easy reads, he can rely on his arm and athleteticism a little too much. I'd also need to know how he'd be able to play in the cold, and against elevated competition. He's probably a little too tall, meaning that he's a big target for defensive players hitting him low. His release is a little slow and funky. The Brock Osweiler comparison is fairly apt.

I really hope Connor Cook is available at #31, although the Jets and Bills have to be in play for him. The Jets and Bills have to be in play for him, but they have more pressing needs to address, and they have significant draft capital in QBs. If Connor Cook is there at #31, I'd be delighted. Very high floor, and executes the bootleg. He doesn't deserve the game-manager tag, because he's a gunslinger and a gamer.

My ideal draft strategy for the Broncos:

1,31: Connor Cook, Michigan State. (#4 QB, NFLDraftScout; 6ft4, 217lbs, 9.75" Hand; 4.79s 40; 34-5 starting record)
2,63: Shon Coleman, OT, Auburn (#7 OT; 6ft5, 307lbs, 35.125" Arm; 22 reps bench; 1-0 v. Cancer)
3,94: Bronson Kaufusi, DE, Bringham Young (#11DE, 6ft6, 285lbs, 34.5" Arm; 4.87 40, 1.69 10; 25BN; 30" Vertical)
3,98: Blake Martinez, ILB/ST, Stanford (#8 ILB; 6ft2, 237lbs, 31.625" Arm; 4.71 40, 1.61 10; 22BN; 9ft5 Broad, 34" V*; 6.98 3c, 4.20 SS)
OR. Nick Vigil, ILB/ST, Utah State (#5 ILB; 6ft2, 239lbs, 32.375" Arm; 4.65 40*, 1.58 10*; 15BN*; 9ft7 Broad, 31.5" V; 6.73 3c, 4.00 SS)
4, 136: Justin Simmons, FS/ST, Boston College (#7, FS; 6ft2, 202lbs; 4.53 40*, 1.56 10*; 16BN; 40" V; 10ft6 Broad; 6.58 3c 3.85 SS)
5, 144: Ben Braunecker, TE/ST, Harvard (#6 TE; 6ft4, 250lbs, 32.75" Arm, 9.5" Hand; 4.73 40, 1.63 10; 37.5" V, 10ft1 Broad; 6.90 3c, 4.20 SS)
5, 157: Daniel Lasco, RB/ST, California (#11 RB; 6ft0, 209lbs; 9.125" Hand; 4.46 40, 1.54 10; 23BN; 41.5" V, 11ft3 Broad; 6.84 3c*, 4.13 SS*)
6, 219: Dan Vitale, FB/ST, Northwestern (#2 FB; 6ft1, 239lbs, 31.75" Arm, 9.75" Hand; 4.60 40; 30BN; 38.5"V, 10ft3 Broad; 4.13 SS, 7.12 3c)
7, 228: Clayton Fejedelem, SS/ST, Illinois (#10 SS; 6ft0, 204lbs; 4.54 40*, 1.57 10*; 20 BN*; 40.5" V, 10ft1 Broad; 7.17 3c*, 4.30 SS*)
7, 253: Joe Gore, G, Clemson (#26 T; 6ft5, 304lbs; 32.75" Arm; 5.05 40*, 1.92 10*; 28 BN*; 27.5" V*, 9ft1 Broad*; 7.71 3c*, 4.65 SS*)
UDFA: Maushaun Coprich, KR/RB, Illinois State (#24 RB; 5ft8, 207lbs, 9" hands; 4.47 40, 1.55 10; 17BN; 39" V*, 9ft6 Broad*, 6.90 3c* 4.42 SS*)
UDFA: Riley Dixon, P, Syracuse (#4 P; 6ft4, 221lbs; 2015 - 43.7 AVG, 28-65 IN 20, 5 TB, 18 50+, 64 LONG)
UDFA: Trent Matthews, S/ST, Colorado State (#16 FS; 6ft1, 215lbs; 16 reps BN; torn ACL)
UDFA: Manoa Pikula, ILB/ST, Bringham Young (#41 ILB; 6ft0, 234lbs; 4.57 40*, 1.59 10*; 24 BN*; 36.5" V*, 9ft8 Broad*; 7.06 3c*, 4.23 SS*)
UDFA: Max McCaffrey, WR, Duke (#46 WR; 6ft2, 196lbs; 4.46 40*, 1.54 10*; 9 BN*; 36.5 V*, 10ft2 Broad*; 7.09 3c*, 4.15 SS*)
UDFA: Kivon Cartwright, TE/ST, Colorado State (#22 TE; 6ft4, 243lbs; 4.77 40*, 1.73 10*; 23BN*; 34.5" V*, 9ft8 Broad*; 7.43 3c*, 4.80 SS*)

* indicates pro day.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2146
I don't see how you could be that upset with Tunsil. There are ways to get defenders other than your first draft pick.

Watched some of Paxton Lynch yesterday. Would be very surprised if he goes in round 1.

Have you seen the LT depth chart on the Jags? Beachum and Joeckel already competing for the starting spot, neither project well at guard. You can get defensive players for sure but top 5 guys are supposed to be surer bets, generally Dave the GM doesn't get good defenders late either, he gets backups.
Watched some of the QB camps today. Goff is basically a ringer for Aaron Rodgers, for whatever that's worth. Turned off Wentz when he started blabbering about God (ie after 2 minutes). Watched about 2 thirds of Lynch and I mean whatever. What was interesting was that they had cutups from the same game that I watched, so I know he didn't play nearly as well in that game as Gruden was saying. But it was always obvious that you can't really get much info from a reality TV style fluff job, just thought that was interesting though.

Original post by Wattsy
Have you seen the LT depth chart on the Jags? Beachum and Joeckel already competing for the starting spot, neither project well at guard. You can get defensive players for sure but top 5 guys are supposed to be surer bets, generally Dave the GM doesn't get good defenders late either, he gets backups.

I don't know much about the Jags, I just don't think you can ever really be that disappointed with a tackle prospect as elite as Tunsil is supposed to be, and that's second hand info because I haven't watched him. RT and LT are basically the same position nowadays because of slide protection (and also the fact that the Jags RT faces JJ Watt twice a year) and injuries happen. So yeah I don't think it would be a horrible pick.

If the GM is so bad at drafting that he can't find anyone in rounds 2, 3 and 4 then that really is too bad. Kind of explains why the Jags always seem to have a top 5 pick though...
(edited 8 years ago)
Watched some of the QB camps today. Goff is basically a ringer for Aaron Rodgers, for whatever that's worth. Turned off Wentz when he started blabbering about God (ie after 2 minutes). Watched about 2 thirds of Lynch and I mean whatever. What was interesting was that they had cutups from the same game that I watched, so I know he didn't play nearly as well in that game as Gruden was saying. But it was always obvious that you can't really get much info from a reality TV style fluff job, just thought that was interesting though.

I don't know much about the Jags, I just don't think you can ever really be that disappointed with a tackle prospect as elite as Tunsil is supposed to be, and that's second hand info because I haven't watched him. RT and LT are basically the same position nowadays because of slide protection (and also the fact that the Jags RT faces JJ Watt twice a year) and injuries happen. So yeah I don't think it would be a horrible pick.

If the GM is so bad at drafting that he can't find anyone in rounds 2, 3 and 4 then that really is too bad. Kind of explains why the Jags always seem to have a top 5 pick though...

Matt kalil was supposed to be an elite tackle, you can be disappointed.
Original post by joecphillips
Matt kalil was supposed to be an elite tackle, you can be disappointed.

Well yeah, but there are top 10 busts in every position. There were three other top 5 busts in that same draft.
Reply 2150

I'm talking 5,6,7 to be fair, he's come up with some absolute gems in the middle. I know you're drafting depth at that level and that's usually what gets found.
Eagles trading up to 2..... People have been watching too much draft day.
Original post by ..DT..
Eagles trading up to 2..... People have been watching too much draft day.

They've given away a lot for this! First round pick this year and next and a bunch of lower draft picks as well.

Wentz to Rams, Goff to Eagles?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I understand the Rams trade but I have no ****ing idea what the Eagles are doing.
I understand the Rams trade but I have no ****ing idea what the Eagles are doing.

I just don't believe they're willing to trade for sloppy seconds on the qb market. Must be Ramsey surely??
Original post by ..DT..
I just don't believe they're willing to trade for sloppy seconds on the qb market. Must be Ramsey surely??

I mean trading for whichever unknown QB the Rams don't want makes zero sense, and given they extended Bradford it now makes less than zero sense. Trading that much for a corner makes more than zero sense but still not very much. Doing it for Tunsil when they already have very good bookend tackles probably makes less sense than Ramsey but more sense than doing it for a QB. Kind of a crapshoot unless there is an elite pass rusher who fits their scheme? I don't know much about the pass rushers available or the Eagles' scheme so I wouldn't know.
I mean trading for whichever unknown QB the Rams don't want makes zero sense, and given they extended Bradford it now makes less than zero sense. Trading that much for a corner makes more than zero sense but still not very much. Doing it for Tunsil when they already have very good bookend tackles probably makes less sense than Ramsey but more sense than doing it for a QB. Kind of a crapshoot unless there is an elite pass rusher who fits their scheme? I don't know much about the pass rushers available or the Eagles' scheme so I wouldn't know.

If you want a laugh go on the nfl reddit page and read eagles fans responses on the thread about the trade Haha
Reply 2157
Park me firmly in the 'this trade is insane' camp. Unless you know which QB the Rams Are taking you absolutely cannot bet the farm and that is what the Eagles have done. If they pick a non-QB they're going to be the most valuable non QB in terms of draft picks since Herschel Walker. I thought the blockbuster trade days were supposed to be over but these past 2 seasons we've seen plenty.
The only thing I can think of is that they sincerely believe that Goff and Wentz are both sure fire franchise guys, same as Winston/Mariota and the way RG3 and Luck were seen. I mean technically Washington did the same thing in 2012, although everyone knew there was no way Indy were taking anyone except Luck.

But obviously Washington could in theory have had to "settle" for Luck even though they wanted RG3, and I suppose we are in sort of the same situation.
I just read that Tunsil gave up ZERO qb hits in the games he played last season. ZERO. HITS. That's crazy. If anyone want to bet that the chargers keep the 3rd pick In the draft take my money. Has that ever even happened before? First 3 draft picks traded away?

Quick Reply

Latest