The Student Room Group

HELP! Need reasonably priced insurance for just passed 18 year old?

I just passed my test on monday and I was hoping to be able to get on the road and drive to college as I'm fed up of public transport lol. But insurance premiums are making my heart stop :eek3: ! I keep getting quoted around £10,000 to at the most £15,000 and it's effin crazy but I understand why. I've tried ingenie but they won't give me a quote, tried putting my dad on the policy then making me an additional driver, no luck. Marmalade won't quote me because my car is older that 9 years (peugeot 206). In the end we are considering getting a brand new car in a ford fiesta deal where you get the insurance + car as we don't know what else to do. One quote was £3,000 which is reasonable and will probably have to get that. Can anyone recommend any sites specifically for young drivers which wont give me a quote that costs me an arm and leg? I've tried girlsdrivebetter.com, compare the market, rac, money supermarket, aviva, marmalade, ingenie -.-

Scroll to see replies

That's crazy. I was getting quotes for like 3000/4000 a year ago which I got lowered to just under 2000 but your quotes are crazy!

Try and get your dad/mom/grandparents on it if you can, play around with it see what it brings up.

I'll also be honest, you can definitely lie about your job and where the car is parked during the day. Change up the mileage too to make it lower.

I assure you, you are doing some stuff wrong if your quotes are that high. Especially for a car which is likely in a low insurance group.
Original post by randomgeeza
That's crazy. I was getting quotes for like 3000/4000 a year ago which I got lowered to just under 2000 but your quotes are crazy!

Try and get your dad/mom/grandparents on it if you can, play around with it see what it brings up.

I'll also be honest, you can definitely lie about your job and where the car is parked during the day. Change up the mileage too to make it lower.

I assure you, you are doing some stuff wrong if your quotes are that high. Especially for a car which is likely in a low insurance group.

Honestly no idea, I put my occupation as a student, car is kept at home, not modified, no ncb, excess of 500 or more. I think it's because I've literally just passed and I'm putting my name and not under anyone else. But I have just looked around at co-op and they've quoted £2,800 for My dad and me as an additional driver which I think I might just go for. Thanks for the reply though!
Original post by mrpopodopalaus
Honestly no idea, I put my occupation as a student, car is kept at home, not modified, no ncb, excess of 500 or more. I think it's because I've literally just passed and I'm putting my name and not under anyone else. But I have just looked around a co-op and they've quoted £2,800 for My dad and me as an additional driver which I think I might just go for. Thanks for the reply though!

They don't check your occupation, if they ever do ask for anything when you get insured it'll be your driving license, logbook and maybe another form of id like a passport. They don't even ask for that now usually, depends.

Hike up your excess too.
They don't check your occupation, if they ever do ask for anything when you get insured it'll be your driving license, logbook and maybe another form of id like a passport. They don't even ask for that now usually, depends.

Hike up your excess too.

Ah ok, thanks!
Reply 5
Honestly no idea, I put my occupation as a student, car is kept at home, not modified, no ncb, excess of 500 or more. I think it's because I've literally just passed and I'm putting my name and not under anyone else. But I have just looked around at co-op and they've quoted £2,800 for My dad and me as an additional driver which I think I might just go for. Thanks for the reply though!

It will definitely lower your premium to have your dad as a named driver.

Also restrict your mileage to, say, 5000 per year.

The age of your car is a problem. Insurers think that drivers of newer cars will be safer (because they will want to look after them). Also they aren't encourgaed by you driving a cheap car for the same reason. So old AND cheap raises flags...

They are more worried by the third party risk (the damage you cause when you hit someone else) than anything.

So a newish, reasonably priced car is likely to be cheaper to insure that an old cheap car.

Also be VERY careful about you being the named driver on a policy if you are, in fact, the main driver. Insurers are very suspicious of it and it can invalidate your policy if you make a claim.
Original post by jneill
It will definitely lower your premium to have your dad as a named driver.

Also restrict your mileage to, say, 5000 per year.

The age of your car is a problem. Insurers think that drivers of newer cars will be safer (because they will want to look after them). Also they aren't encourgaed by you driving a cheap car for the same reason. So old AND cheap raises flags...

They are more worried by the third party risk (the damage you cause when you hit someone else) than anything.

So a newish, reasonably priced car is likely to be cheaper to insure that an old cheap car.

Also be VERY careful about you being the named driver on a policy if you are, in fact, the main driver. Insurers are very suspicious of it and it can invalidate your policy if you make a claim.

Yeah, I would of taken more time to think about what car to get but honestly at the time it was just about getting "a" car to practice in to prepare for my test but I didn't know it would be this tough ._. I'll definitely explain this to my mum and see if buying another car is an option if we can't find anything. Thanks for your response :smile:

When you lie problems arise at the point of making a claim. Insurance companies will look for any tiny detail to get out of paying out so you can be sure they will look for things like this if you claim. Granted, the more you claim the more they are likely to look. Example being if you say you don't commute to college and then and 8.30am, near college, you have a crash then they will try and catch you out and not pay!

In terms of a low price, firstly my quotes were huge and most people's are because they check literally the day they pass, a few weeks dropped my quotes substantially. You also need to get a parent with no claims bonus to be the policy holder
My dad had 25 years no claims so on his policy for my car he used his no claims bonus which dropped my insurance to £800 for the year when I passed. Dropped a lot in the years following too.
I'm with Tesco on their black box policy. £1300 for the first year as a 17 yr old!!!
£700 without a box when it's renewed in May!
But look at Tescos black box policy and see what you get!
Reply 9
Have a look at a company called MyPolicy. They specify in insurance for 17-25 year olds. After being quoted similar to what you have, I got insured at 18 on an 08 KA for £2,200 with a black box which actually turned out not to be very restrictive (no curfews, definitely went over the speed limit a few times but never got flagged for it.) That was three years ago but I do live in a high risk "crash for cash" area
Original post by FireFreezer77
I'm with Tesco on their black box policy. £1300 for the first year as a 17 yr old!!!
£700 without a box when it's renewed in May!
But look at Tescos black box policy and see what you get!

Hmm not bad! Going to have a look now thanks!
Original post by Anon07079191
When you lie problems arise at the point of making a claim. Insurance companies will look for any tiny detail to get out of paying out so you can be sure they will look for things like this if you claim. Granted, the more you claim the more they are likely to look. Example being if you say you don't commute to college and then and 8.30am, near college, you have a crash then they will try and catch you out and not pay!

In terms of a low price, firstly my quotes were huge and most people's are because they check literally the day they pass, a few weeks dropped my quotes substantially. You also need to get a parent with no claims bonus to be the policy holder
My dad had 25 years no claims so on his policy for my car he used his no claims bonus which dropped my insurance to £800 for the year when I passed. Dropped a lot in the years following too.

Ahh I see, yeah right now I'm searching for putting my dad as the main driver and he has 3 year ncb at the moment.
I just passed my test on monday and I was hoping to be able to get on the road and drive to college as I'm fed up of public transport lol. But insurance premiums are making my heart stop :eek3: ! I keep getting quoted around £10,000 to at the most £15,000 and it's effin crazy but I understand why. I've tried ingenie but they won't give me a quote, tried putting my dad on the policy then making me an additional driver, no luck. Marmalade won't quote me because my car is older that 9 years (peugeot 206). In the end we are considering getting a brand new car in a ford fiesta deal where you get the insurance + car as we don't know what else to do. One quote was £3,000 which is reasonable and will probably have to get that. Can anyone recommend any sites specifically for young drivers which wont give me a quote that costs me an arm and leg? I've tried girlsdrivebetter.com, compare the market, rac, money supermarket, aviva, marmalade, ingenie -.-

Hm first of all what car are you thinking of insuring, and how big is the engine. Usually you want something with an engine no bigger than 1.4...the smaller the better.

And regarding ingenie, YOU have to be the main driver, and the car has to be in YOUR name. Perhaps you weren't receiving quotes from it as you were putting your dad as the main driver??

And one more thing, don't always do this whole "putting 1k as your yearly milage" and saying the car would be parked in the garage, when in reality it won't. As Insurance firms are starting to catch on now. And i've found that i'm getting lower quotes by actually being honest with the milage ( 4-6k a year) and saying the car would be parked outside my flat building on the street. Oh and i'm a 17 year old, yet to pass my test. And my quotes are generally coming to 1.7k anually for Mini ones...and around 2.4k a year for Corsa's :smile:
Hmm not bad! Going to have a look now thanks!

It's really good for the first two years!
Btw this is on a 1.2 Fiat Grande Punto
Original post by Dann.It
Hm first of all what car are you thinking of insuring, and how big is the engine. Usually you want something with an engine no bigger than 1.4...the smaller the better.

And regarding ingenie, YOU have to be the main driver, and the car has to be in YOUR name. Perhaps you weren't receiving quotes from it as you were putting your dad as the main driver??

And one more thing, don't always do this whole "putting 1k as your yearly milage" and saying the car would be parked in the garage, when in reality it won't. As Insurance firms are starting to catch on now. And i've found that i'm getting lower quotes by actually being honest with the milage ( 4-6k a year) and saying the car would be parked outside my flat building on the street. Oh and i'm a 17 year old, yet to pass my test. And my quotes are generally coming to 1.7k anually for Mini ones...and around 2.4k a year for Corsa's :smile:

Yeah I "lied" and infact the quote went up haha. My car is a 1.1 and it's a peugeot 206 fever 2003-4. In regards to ingenie I put myself as the main driver and they weren't able to give me a quote so they probably wanted me to call.
Reply 15
Yeah, I would of taken more time to think about what car to get but honestly at the time it was just about getting "a" car to practice in to prepare for my test but I didn't know it would be this tough ._. I'll definitely explain this to my mum and see if buying another car is an option if we can't find anything. Thanks for your response :smile:

For reference we have a 5yo Fiat 500 1.4, 17yo main driver (but not the policy owner), two named experienced drivers (1 of which is also the policy owner), 5000 miles annual limit. No black box. £500 excess. Premium £1000 More Than.
Have you tried staying away from your everyday first time driver cars i.e corsa's, peugots 206s, clios etc...try coming up with a car that most people don't get as their first, as they have less claims with insurance firms.
Original post by Dann.It
Have you tried staying away from your everyday first time driver cars i.e corsa's, peugots 206s, clios etc...try coming up with a car that most people don't get as their first, as they have less claims with insurance firms.

No, I've been putting my peugeot 206 as the car lol
No, I've been putting my peugeot 206 as the car lol

Lol well if there's any other cars out there you'd like, trying putting those in :smile:
Original post by Dann.It
Lol well if there's any other cars out there you'd like, trying putting those in :smile:

I see, and what if I do get a drastically cheaper quote with a different car?

Quick Reply

Latest