The Student Room Group

Sunburn (I think), 5weeks on, still itchy, tingling / pins and needles

Hi,

Recently returned from a Caribbean holiday.

Used sunscreen, but perhaps not religiously / as often as I should have. Week before I left the island I spent a few days at a hotel complex, was fine when I got there. However on the last day I went out into the sun; spent time in the pool, on the sun lounger, walking to / from the BBQ hut for lunch, and then in a car on my way home. My skin felt fine, however when I got to my destination (where I was staying) . . . my skin was on fire! Although I had slight tan lines, and I was a bit red, I didn't have any blisters. I religiously put aloe vera on the skin and sudocrem to soothe the areas (my whole body nearly), and continued doing so until I got home / back to the UK.

I returned to the UK, and things settled. However I kept putting aloe vera on my skin to soothe and moisturise the skin. A few days after returning my skin started to peel, this was only slightly, but that was it. A week after returning my skin erupted again into the tingling, pins and needles and it has been like this for the past 5 weeks! I have religiously been applying aloe vera day and night. Went to my GP who gave me an Emolliant to use to see if that settles things but I don't think it's working. Even taken Piriton to see if that works, slight relief, but the issue still remains. I am also experiencing tummy cramps as a result of this; 5 weeks, and I am at times in great agony with it.

I am now panicking / worrying that my skin will never return to how it use to be. I always visit the Caribbean but have never experienced this. Even today the sun was out, and my skin didn't like it! :frown:

Does anyone have any help / advice / tips on how best I can treat this issue? It's annoying me and I just want the tingling / itching / pins and needles to stop :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:doctor:
Reply 2
Original post by Mimir
:doctor:

Been twice; given Emollient to use in the shower, and had blood tests done!

My friend came with me on this holiday, and she too is suffering similar! But she doesn't have the sunburn lines; she went red but didn't peel!
Reply 3
Use of the word religiously more than once bugs me :smile:

Try to use Greek yogurt, it helps, I personally tried.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

Recently returned from a Caribbean holiday.

Used sunscreen, but perhaps not religiously / as often as I should have. Week before I left the island I spent a few days at a hotel complex, was fine when I got there. However on the last day I went out into the sun; spent time in the pool, on the sun lounger, walking to / from the BBQ hut for lunch, and then in a car on my way home. My skin felt fine, however when I got to my destination (where I was staying) . . . my skin was on fire! Although I had slight tan lines, and I was a bit red, I didn't have any blisters. I religiously put aloe vera on the skin and sudocrem to soothe the areas (my whole body nearly), and continued doing so until I got home / back to the UK.

I returned to the UK, and things settled. However I kept putting aloe vera on my skin to soothe and moisturise the skin. A few days after returning my skin started to peel, this was only slightly, but that was it. A week after returning my skin erupted again into the tingling, pins and needles and it has been like this for the past 5 weeks! I have religiously been applying aloe vera day and night. Went to my GP who gave me an Emolliant to use to see if that settles things but I don't think it's working. Even taken Piriton to see if that works, slight relief, but the issue still remains. I am also experiencing tummy cramps as a result of this; 5 weeks, and I am at times in great agony with it.

I am now panicking / worrying that my skin will never return to how it use to be. I always visit the Caribbean but have never experienced this. Even today the sun was out, and my skin didn't like it! :frown:

Does anyone have any help / advice / tips on how best I can treat this issue? It's annoying me and I just want the tingling / itching / pins and needles to stop :frown:

I'm not medically trained but it sounds like actinic keratosis. See your GP again and insist upon seeing a dermatologist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by lNurl
Use of the word religiously more than once bugs me :smile:

Try to use Greek yogurt, it helps, I personally tried.

I will religiously Greek yogurt to heal the skin, thanks! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by KaptainCliff
I'm not medically trained but it sounds like actinic keratosis. See your GP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought this as well from googling, but I haven't got the dry scaly patches of dry skin. Looking at my skin there is nothing wrong with it. Even my GP said she can't see any rash at all; ok yes I've got the tan lines, but there is nothing else visible! I've been to the Drs twice in the space of a week though! Had BT done today, so will see what happens!
Reply 7
I will religiously Greek yogurt to heal the skin, thanks! :smile:

Ahaha, now I feel the burn, where is my Greek yogurt!? :smile: I love you <3
I thought this as well from googling, but I haven't got the dry scaly patches of dry skin. Looking at my skin there is nothing wrong with it. Even my GP said she can't see any rash at all; ok yes I've got the tan lines, but there is nothing else visible! I've been to the Drs twice in the space of a week though! Had BT done today, so will see what happens!

You don't always get all the symptoms. I work in dermatology in the NHS and I've heard a lot of stories of GPs who have misdiagnosed patients on skin issues. As I say I'm not medically trained, but I'd recommend seeing your GP again and insisting upon seeing a dermatologist. If I'm right and it is actinic keratosis, they'll take a biopsy of it and that'll be the end of it (in most cases).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
You don't always get all the symptoms. I work in dermatology in the NHS and I've heard a lot of stories of GPs who have misdiagnosed patients on skin issues. As I say I'm not medically trained, but I'd recommend seeing your GP again and insisting upon seeing a dermatologist. If I'm right and it is actinic keratosis, they'll take a biopsy of it and that'll be the end of it (in most cases).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh ok. But what would they biopsy? :confused: as there is nothing, no visible / crusty-like lesions on my skin! Or would they simply take a piece of my skin?

This is so frustrating :facepalm:. Never have I endured this my whole entire life of visiting the Caribbean.
Reply 10
I still think you need to see your/a different GP. Get some bloods taken, this could be several different things. You should make sure they know where you went on holiday, which will hopefully prompt them to do tests.

Better safe than sorry.

PS Don't use Sudocreme on anything on your body except maybe an itchy bum hole (that's what it's for). Use E45.
Ahh ok. But what would they biopsy? :confused: as there is nothing, no visible / crusty-like lesions on my skin! Or would they simply take a piece of my skin?

This is so frustrating :facepalm:. Never have I endured this my whole entire life of visiting the Caribbean.

If there is a red patch that's about 1cm or so in diameter then it's just a case of cutting out a bit of skin with a few millimeters margin. This is done under a local anaesthetic.
If there is no red patch, then they'll likely prescribe Efudix and give you the option to come back in a follow up appointment.
I want to reiterate I'm not medically trained.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mimir
I still think you need to see your/a different GP. Get some bloods taken, this could be several different things. You should make sure they know where you went on holiday, which will hopefully prompt them to do tests.

Better safe than sorry.

PS Don't use Sudocreme on anything on your body except maybe an itchy bum hole (that's what it's for). Use E45.

LMAO ''Itchy bum-hole'' :biggrin: That made me chuckle. I stopped using the Sudocrem when I got back to the UK because it was thick, horrid on my skin, and it made me look 'blue'! Dark skin + Sudocrem = smurf!! But I did get slight relief from it when it first started. I am currently now using E45 which I have to admit does soothe the skin somewhat. I don't use anything fragranced on my body, apart from a few squirts of perfume on my wrists which are fine.

I had bloods done today, so we'll see what comes back from that.Yes, they're aware of where I went on holiday, even my friend is suffering similar as well. So not sure if it is actually sun burn of some sort, or perhaps we picked something nasty up whilst being in the hotel? :dontknow:
If there is a red patch that's about 1cm or so in diameter then it's just a case of cutting out a bit of skin with a few millimeters margin. This is done under a local anaesthetic.
If there is no red patch, then they'll likely prescribe Efudix and give you the option to come back in a follow up appointment.
I want to reiterate I'm not medically trained.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I fully understand you're not medically trained, but thank you for your input. It's just been driving me stir crazy trying to suss out what the heck is doing on. Google only gives so much before it sends you 'batty'. But I will wait and see what the blood test results are and then go from there.

I have no red patches on my skin. Just tan lines (I am black) so you can see my pale brown bits and my dark (tanned) bits! I'm checking myself everyday, looking for rashes, but there is sod all!
Reply 14
LMAO ''Itchy bum-hole'' :biggrin: That made me chuckle. I stopped using the Sudocrem when I got back to the UK because it was thick, horrid on my skin, and it made me look 'blue'! Dark skin + Sudocrem = smurf!! But I did get slight relief from it when it first started. I am currently now using E45 which I have to admit does soothe the skin somewhat. I don't use anything fragranced on my body, apart from a few squirts of perfume on my wrists which are fine.

I had bloods done today, so we'll see what comes back from that.Yes, they're aware of where I went on holiday, even my friend is suffering similar as well. So not sure if it is actually sun burn of some sort, or perhaps we picked something nasty up whilst being in the hotel? :dontknow:

All you can do is wait for the bloods to come back.

Could be Lupus... :ninja:
Original post by Mimir
All you can do is wait for the bloods to come back.

Could be Lupus... :ninja:

Even though my friend is suffering the same / similar? :dontknow: :ninja:
UPDATE: Blood test results are back . . . .all normal / satisfactory! :facepalm:

My skin is still irritated; the backs of my hands, the soles of my feet, my tummy, bum cheeks, are all very irritated! Really going out of my mind. My friend who I went on holiday with is suffering the same / similar, apart from she is getting irritations on her head, neck, boobs as well as a few of the places I am getting irritation as well.

Discussed this matter with a lady who I am having laser hair removal treatment with, and she suggested sounds like maybe I have picked up a Parasite? Eaten something, as my friend and I more or less ate the same thing! :dontknow: This is driving me insane!
UPDATE:

Still no further forward on trying to find out what the heck is going on with my skin :frown:. Starting to worry now because everything I google, I don't have typical (physical) signs of, i.e. hives / rash / redness! :frown: I'm spending an absolute fortune on products in a bid to try and stop whatever it is that is happening to my skin. Part of my thinks my skin is simply trying to repair itself and is shedding all skin . . but 6 weeks on? Really? :dontknow:

If anyone can help, it would be very much appreciated. :frown:
Reply 18
Did this ever get solved? I am having the same issue. Left the Caribbean two weeks ago my Gpthinks I'm crazy.
Original post by Jedimom
Did this ever get solved? I am having the same issue. Left the Caribbean two weeks ago my Gpthinks I'm crazy.

Yes..took about 2-3 months to clear. No idea what it was exactly, but I think it was over exposure to the sun. I used Aveeno body wash, and limited scrubbing my skin, so allowing it to heal on its own.

Now Oe whenever I’m in the Caribbean, I lather myself in spf 50!!!!

Latest