The Student Room Group

Inns of Court GDL Scholarships

One criterion most inns use for awarding scholarships is 'motivation to succeed at the bar'. Can anyone shed some light on how best to demonstrate this prior to commencing GDL? Because most chambers require that you need to have already begun your legal studies in order to be eligible to apply for minis.

Joe

Scroll to see replies

Anything that shows drive, tenacity, strength of character, fascination with law, capacity to keep working in difficult circs, long hours. Grit. Determination. How do they know you won't fall by the wayside, essentially

It really isn't an easy job or path to take and you really really really really need to want to do it

I don't do it btw no way am I tough enough 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by happyinthehaze
Anything that shows drive, tenacity, strength of character, fascination with law, capacity to keep working in difficult circs, long hours. Grit. Determination. How do they know you won't fall by the wayside, essentially

It really isn't an easy job or path to take and you really really really really need to want to do it

I don't do it btw no way am I tough enough 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you think it's constituted more by the development of relevant qualities than actual experience of the profession?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I'm wondering about this as well. I have no relevant law experience and have very little chance of getting any before the deadline next month, so I'm trying to draw from anything where I needed motivation to succeed in my undergraduate degree (Psychology). Anything like interview competitions, advocacy-type activities (I was a Student Rep and used to argue for students on the course at a university level), or similar would be useful I reckon.
I suspect it depends somewhat on the Inn that interviews you. That said, I don't know that determination generally is enough - I recall being grilled quite hard on how I knew I wanted to go to the Bar; they don't want to give you money and then see you run off to a law firm.

It's worth noting that, generally speaking, you can walk into any court and watch. I'd recommend a trip to the Supreme Court, as you can look up in advance what the cases are and read the judgments in the courts below to get a feel for what's going on. There's seating for the public at the back. I might be tempted (although I never did) to go to the Old Bailey too, as the advocacy will be completely different and will give you a contrasting experience to talk about.
Reply 6
Original post by sunburnt_note
I suspect it depends somewhat on the Inn that interviews you. That said, I don't know that determination generally is enough - I recall being grilled quite hard on how I knew I wanted to go to the Bar; they don't want to give you money and then see you run off to a law firm.

It's worth noting that, generally speaking, you can walk into any court and watch. I'd recommend a trip to the Supreme Court, as you can look up in advance what the cases are and read the judgments in the courts below to get a feel for what's going on. There's seating for the public at the back. I might be tempted (although I never did) to go to the Old Bailey too, as the advocacy will be completely different and will give you a contrasting experience to talk about.

Were you successful?

I'm thinking of taking a year out and getting some more legal experience before applying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hockeyjoe
Were you successful?

I'm thinking of taking a year out and getting some more legal experience before applying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't get a GDL scholarship. I received a substantial BPTC scholarship from another Inn, however - so, reflecting back, that's what I would have done differently for the GDL one, I think.

I wouldn't want to tell you whether to take a year out, as money is a very personal thing. What I will say is that GDL scholarships are quite thin on the ground because most of the money goes towards BPTC scholarships, so even after a gap year you might not get one. If you have money issues for the GDL, I would advise applying for a scholarship; if you don't get one, think about getting a job for a year doing something legal related, which will help you save up money for the GDL AND have the bonus effect of looking good on any future scholarship application.
Reply 8
I didn't get a GDL scholarship. I received a substantial BPTC scholarship from another Inn, however - so, reflecting back, that's what I would have done differently for the GDL one, I think.

I wouldn't want to tell you whether to take a year out, as money is a very personal thing. What I will say is that GDL scholarships are quite thin on the ground because most of the money goes towards BPTC scholarships, so even after a gap year you might not get one. If you have money issues for the GDL, I would advise applying for a scholarship; if you don't get one, think about getting a job for a year doing something legal related, which will help you save up money for the GDL AND have the bonus effect of looking good on any future scholarship application.

I appreciate the reply. What're your thoughts on ways for non-law students to show advocacy aptitude?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I appreciate the reply. What're your thoughts on ways for non-law students to show advocacy aptitude?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Debating, I guess - or (I had a friend on the GDL who did this) join a public speaking group. By the time of the BPTC scholarship interview, I'd done quite a bit of mooting, and in my opinion that's hands-down the best way to show oral advocacy aptitude.

Of course, you have to show written advocacy aptitude too - which is not too difficult if you've done an Arts subject at university.
Reply 10
Debating, I guess - or (I had a friend on the GDL who did this) join a public speaking group. By the time of the BPTC scholarship interview, I'd done quite a bit of mooting, and in my opinion that's hands-down the best way to show oral advocacy aptitude.

Of course, you have to show written advocacy aptitude too - which is not too difficult if you've done an Arts subject at university.

Would you mind sharing which inn you're with and why you went for them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would you mind sharing which inn you're with and why you went for them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I went for Middle, which was purely on the basis that they interviewed everyone. It really does depend on what matters to you - I think the other Inns give slightly more money for their top awards, but Middle means-test (or, at least, they did in my day) the financial value of their awards. Lincoln's seemed to be much better for providing mooting and debating opportunities when I was on the BPTC, but I really love my Inn and wouldn't change it.
Hi Joe,

Have you considered a court visit? You can go into any Crown Court near you and sit in on a court case. It's a good way to see the reality of life in the courtroom and reflect on the different advocacy techniques which you could talk about in your applications/interview.

Here's a film we've made that focuses on BPTC students: there's lots of useful content for GDL students as well. Don't worry too much about the students' legal knowledge - everyone is in the same boat as you as you'll all be starting the GDL as non-law graduates.

[video="youtube;hBxz2KQ2tZk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBxz2KQ2tZk&feature=youtu.be[/video]

As for comparing Inns of Court, Chambers Student provides a useful guide to compare different Inns and the scholarships available: http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/the-bar/the-inns-of-court-compared

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

Best of luck!

Lizzie
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by The University of Law
Hi Joe,

Have you considered a court visit? You can go into any Crown Court near you and sit in on a court case. It's a good way to see the reality of life in the courtroom and reflect on the different advocacy techniques which you could talk about in your applications/interview.

Here's a film we've made that focuses on BPTC students: there's lots of useful content for GDL students as well. Don't worry too much about the students' legal knowledge - everyone is in the same boat as you as you'll all be starting the GDL as non-law graduates.

[video="youtube;hBxz2KQ2tZk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBxz2KQ2tZk&feature=youtu.be[/video]

As for comparing Inns of Court, Chambers Student provides a useful guide to compare different Inns and the scholarships available: http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/the-bar/the-inns-of-court-compared

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

Best of luck!

Lizzie

Hi Lizzie,

Thank you very much for your reply.

By way of questions, I know that the University of Law also have a small number of scholarships available for the GDL. I've also no doubt that the criteria for selection for these scholarships are available online. But maybe you could say a few words about how non-law students can show legal motivation to make themselves competitive?

Joe

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone with experience of cpe/gdl scholarship interviews at Gray's in recent years? Any info or advice please.
Reply 15
Original post by pjs736_student
Anyone with experience of cpe/gdl scholarship interviews at Gray's in recent years? Any info or advice please.

Have you gotten an email about being invited for an interview? I haven't heard so I'm wondering if that means I haven't made it.
Original post by klaw1919
Have you gotten an email about being invited for an interview? I haven't heard so I'm wondering if that means I haven't made it.

Nothing yet, just being optimistic. Deadlne was only ten days ago -I hope they take their time = proper consideration.
Reply 17
Nothing yet, just being optimistic. Deadlne was only ten days ago -I hope they take their time = proper consideration.

Yeah fair enough- I saw on the site that they'd inform us about a month before the interviews and since they're the 14th and 15th of June, I was getting a bit antsy :smile:
Original post by klaw1919
Yeah fair enough- I saw on the site that they'd inform us about a month before the interviews and since they're the 14th and 15th of June, I was getting a bit antsy :smile:

No news yet...
No news yet...

bump

Assuming no-one has heard anything?!

Quick Reply

Latest