The Student Room Group

Poor handwriting holding me back

My handwriting is really poor, I can write neatly outside of exams, but in timed condition i struggle writing fast and my handwriting becomes really poor and I have to constantly keep crossing out words due to how unreadable they are.

What can I do?
Reply 1
Original post by OrdinaryStudent
My handwriting is really poor, I can write neatly outside of exams, but in timed condition i struggle writing fast and my handwriting becomes really poor and I have to constantly keep crossing out words due to how unreadable they are.

What can I do?

practice,practice practice :smile:

I'm sure it is not that bad i know a lot of people who have terrible handwriting when the are writing as but teachers/examiners can read them as they're experienced.
Does your teacher ever say he/she can not read it?
Someone had a thread about this last week.
As someone who has a similar problem I remember writing in ink slows your hand down and you need to take more time forming the words. Ink looks better as well imo.
Original post by 999tigger
Someone had a thread about this last week.
As someone who has a similar problem I remember writing in ink slows your hand down and you need to take more time forming the words. Ink looks better as well imo.

Im not used to ink pens and it will make me work even slower then lol
Im not used to ink pens and it will make me work even slower then lol

Your provlem is you are going too fast and not forming your words. In any event the best pen for you is important.
Original post by 999tigger
Your provlem is you are going too fast and not forming your words. In any event the best pen for you is important.

I dont have a choice, I have to go fast lol or I wont be able to finish the paper and fail
Original post by geek567
practice,practice practice :smile:

I'm sure it is not that bad i know a lot of people who have terrible handwriting when the are writing as but teachers/examiners can read them as they're experienced.
Does your teacher ever say he/she can not read it?

My teachers havent said anything for the most part as homework tends to be quite neat, however for my mocks my teachers hadnt said anything but I know my handwriting took a long time to read and mark as sometimes I cant decipher a word i've written myself as stupid as it sounds :s
How bad is bad?
Please post a photo sample.
I've got pretty messy writing under timed conditions though it's because I've got a more European style hand writing which is hard to read at times.

So I use a computer for exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I dont have a choice, I have to go fast lol or I wont be able to finish the paper and fail

You can only go as fast as you can be legible. As pointed out abive its likely that experienced teachers cna read your handwriting. If you basically say you have no choice and you wont slow down then what advice do you expect from people.

Have a look on search and you cna look at other peoples tips. Youve had plenty of time to sort it though, so youll just have to go with what you have as you wont change much in a few months. Just try and keep an eye on what you write.
Reply 10

What can I do?

Try an extra-fine point pen.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pilot-Black-Hi-Tecpoint-Extra-Rollerball/dp/B00LXAOICW/

And there's no need to rush. "More haste, less speed." If you slow yourself down a fraction you will be less messy and not have to keep re-writing unreadable words.
Original post by jneill
Try an extra-fine point pen.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pilot-Black-Hi-Tecpoint-Extra-Rollerball/dp/B00LXAOICW/

And there's no need to rush. "More haste, less speed." If you slow yourself down a fraction you will be less messy and not have to keep re-writing unreadable words.

I cant use these pens as i tend to press down hard

Original post by ODES_PDES
How bad is bad?
Please post a photo sample.

I will post a pic tomorrow
What can I do?

Become a doctor
Reply 13
I cant use these pens as i tend to press down hard

I will post a pic tomorrow

I think that getting a thinner pen is a good option actually; in that way, it's the opposite of a fountain pen. Then you just have to get used to not pressing so hard, which will probably increase the time you write for before your hand gets tired and handwriting messy. Though make sure it's not too runny so it doesn't smudge.

Alternatively, you could ask to do your exams by computer like CarpeDiem.
Reply 14

What can I do?

This used to happen to me at GCSE. You should practice under strict time conditions everyday. What I did was I got random articles from the internet, wrote a paragraph in a minute; then took 2mins break, and tried again (but I made the time much shorter).

Quick Reply

Latest