The Student Room Group

UCL, LSE or Warwick (Maths)

Hello :smile: Thanks for entering my thread.

For the past couple months I have been debating my insurance uni. I have attended open days at UCL and LSE (for maths) and have visited Warwick before (on an engineering open day with a friend).

At UCL and Warwick I have applied for straight maths, but at LSE maths w/ economics.

I have friends at all the unis so I know I won't get lonely.

I know the quality of the maths course seems to be higher at Warwick through rankings, ect. However when I visited UCL on an open day I really enjoyed meeting the faculty members, and they all seemed like a nice bunch. Leaving me split in the middle :frown:

With the LSE course I may not enjoy it as the mathematics is more statistically based while I enjoy more core/mechanical also I have no prior experience with any economics (didn't do economics a level), however they will start from scratch so it's not all doom and gloom. The reason I am contemplating the LSE course is that it is more likely to take me further after university, e.g when job searching.

The reason why I made this post is to get opinions of other people to help aid my decision. Please do not be afraid to post, many thanks! :smile: :smile:
Original post by mubmoh
Hello :smile: Thanks for entering my thread.

For the past couple months I have been debating my insurance uni. I have attended open days at UCL and LSE (for maths) and have visited Warwick before (on an engineering open day with a friend).

At UCL and Warwick I have applied for straight maths, but at LSE maths w/ economics.

I have friends at all the unis so I know I won't get lonely.

I know the quality of the maths course seems to be higher at Warwick through rankings, ect. However when I visited UCL on an open day I really enjoyed meeting the faculty members, and they all seemed like a nice bunch. Leaving me split in the middle :frown:

With the LSE course I may not enjoy it as the mathematics is more statistically based while I enjoy more core/mechanical also I have no prior experience with any economics (didn't do economics a level), however they will start from scratch so it's not all doom and gloom. The reason I am contemplating the LSE course is that it is more likely to take me further after university, e.g when job searching.

The reason why I made this post is to get opinions of other people to help aid my decision. Please do not be afraid to post, many thanks! :smile: :smile:

I think you have answered it for yourself (kind of). Warwick has the stronger department but you seem to like UCL staff etc more? So isn't it then for you to decide if academic reputation or preferred staff has priority. (Not saying either one doesn't have the other.) :smile:
Hiya, I've moved this to a more appropriate forum for you. :borat:

Living in London is a big decision so have a think about that aspect :h:

Those 3 unis are all very good and it's not just about which one you go to, but what you do there and how you make the most of it so if you're not swayed to a particular uni, don't worry too much.

Also, make sure you've done your research into maths at uni. The core/mechanics things can seem fun at A-level but at uni, thinks like Algebra and Analaysis aren't to everyone's taste, and you may or may not find that you wished you were doing some economics alongside your maths rather than just maths, so try to know as much as you can about that. :h:
Warwick is probably the strongest actual maths course. If that's what you want to do, go there (though, I guess I should say "here": I'm typing this in their maths department). If you want to do more applied stuff, somewhere else might be better.
Reply 4
Original post by acontium
I think you have answered it for yourself (kind of). Warwick has the stronger department but you seem to like UCL staff etc more? So isn't it then for you to decide if academic reputation or preferred staff has priority. (Not saying either one doesn't have the other.) :smile:

Thanks for the post :smile: I can't believe you saw my UCL bias :biggrin:, I tried being objective as possible when it came to writing this. That being said I did like the UCL staff, but I never met the staff at any of the other unis, so who's to know if I would've felt the same with them. That's why I'm in my predicament of not insuring UCL.

Original post by SeanFM
Hiya, I've moved this to a more appropriate forum for you. :borat:

Living in London is a big decision so have a think about that aspect :h:

Those 3 unis are all very good and it's not just about which one you go to, but what you do there and how you make the most of it so if you're not swayed to a particular uni, don't worry too much.

Also, make sure you've done your research into maths at uni. The core/mechanics things can seem fun at A-level but at uni, thinks like Algebra and Analaysis aren't to everyone's taste, and you may or may not find that you wished you were doing some economics alongside your maths rather than just maths, so try to know as much as you can about that. :h:

Thanks for you post aswell! :biggrin:, I've lived in London my entire life, and roughly 40minutes commute from UCL & LSE. So if I do end up at either of those I'll most likely being living at home :frown: And I would love the experience to move out of London, and maybe then I will then finally need to learn how to cook!! :biggrin:
You're right about that I could be wishing to do some economics, but it's a double edged sword, I could end up hating economics, but still be having to study it at LSE.

Original post by BlueSam3
Warwick is probably the strongest actual maths course. If that's what you want to do, go there (though, I guess I should say "here": I'm typing this in their maths department). If you want to do more applied stuff, somewhere else might be better.

Ahh! You study at Warwick?! :biggrin:, Do you enjoy studying there? and how are the people (in your course)? Also what do you mean if I want to do more 'applied stuff' somewhere else might be better? I assumed you always had a wide range of modules to choose from, but at warwick is this not the case? Thanks for you post too!! :smile:
Original post by mubmoh
Thanks for the post :smile: I can't believe you saw my UCL bias :biggrin:, I tried being objective as possible when it came to writing this. That being said I did like the UCL staff, but I never met the staff at any of the other unis, so who's to know if I would've felt the same with them. That's why I'm in my predicament of not insuring UCL.

Thanks for you post aswell! :biggrin:, I've lived in London my entire life, and roughly 40minutes commute from UCL & LSE. So if I do end up at either of those I'll most likely being living at home :frown: And I would love the experience to move out of London, and maybe then I will then finally need to learn how to cook!! :biggrin:
You're right about that I could be wishing to do some economics, but it's a double edged sword, I could end up hating economics, but still be having to study it at LSE.

Ahh! You study at Warwick?! :biggrin:, Do you enjoy studying there? and how are the people (in your course)? Also what do you mean if I want to do more 'applied stuff' somewhere else might be better? I assumed you always had a wide range of modules to choose from, but at warwick is this not the case? Thanks for you post too!! :smile:

Yeah, Warwick has a very broad spectrum, and a lot of opportunities to do non-maths modules, it's just that if you want to do lots of physics/statistics/whatever, there are universities that are stronger for that sort of stuff. And yes, I enjoy it.

Quick Reply

Latest