The Student Room Group

Less than a month till AS levels, no revision. What do I do?

So, for various personal reasons I have not been able to study for the most part of this academic year. I am in year 12, studying History, Government & Politics and Philosophy & Ethics. My first history exam is on the 18th of May and I have done no revision for reason I would rather not discuss. I have around 200+ pages of History to learn as well as the other 2 courses. I am mainly concerned about History as I believe I can get by on the other subjects as they are quite soft, and the exam timetable means there is time for revision for those. My question is this: What is the best way for me to learn all the history before the 18th? And has anyone found any useful revision material for the new spec that was launched this year, hence there being no revision guides. Thanks.
Get revising then! Wtf?
Original post by loveleest
Get revising then! Wtf?

I am aware that I must revise haha, I was just wondering if anyone could give me some good tips, from experience or not, to learn such a large amount of information in a small amount of time. Revising over the course of a year is different to that over a month.
Reply 3
Original post by failedstudent99
I am aware that I must revise haha, I was just wondering if anyone could give me some good tips, from experience or not, to learn such a large amount of information in a small amount of time. Revising over the course of a year is different to that over a month.

create mind maps for all the past paper questions just revise from examiner reports and past papers and write essays instead of wasting time writing notes
Notes are key for history. Notes that you know, and can revise easily the days before the exam. Do you have any notes?

If it's just a massive book that you have, and you don't reckon it'll be feasible to read it all, maybe go through a couple of past papers, and for each question make a list of bullet points to answer them?

My advice would be though to preferably have notes that cover everything, read that till it's stuck in your head and then you should be able to cover what comes up in the exam. If it's doable through a book then do that, maybe underline the key points so you can skim next time. Combine that with a knowledge of the exam paper question styles and how to answer (e.g. 8 points for an 8 marker) you should be good.

As to revising itself, I like to recommend turning off all phones, laptops etc, taking the battery out and whatnot. For something like history there's a lot of reading, so I like to sit near a window, read for say 10-15 minutes, then stop and look out the window at the street for a bit to clear head, and then continue. Not getting distracted by the net is key, but having a short break to clear the head helps too.
Don't bother with notes; at this point they are utterly useless.

Do the essays at the end of each chapter whilst using the book to help you, and memorise those.
So, for various personal reasons I have not been able to study for the most part of this academic year. I am in year 12, studying History, Government & Politics and Philosophy & Ethics. My first history exam is on the 18th of May and I have done no revision for reason I would rather not discuss. I have around 200+ pages of History to learn as well as the other 2 courses. I am mainly concerned about History as I believe I can get by on the other subjects as they are quite soft, and the exam timetable means there is time for revision for those. My question is this: What is the best way for me to learn all the history before the 18th? And has anyone found any useful revision material for the new spec that was launched this year, hence there being no revision guides. Thanks.

Summarise/ Rote memorise/ memorise essays/ memorise marking criteria/ memorise examiner reports.

You can do it if you plan it all out well enough! Good luck :smile:

1 month is a lot of time to revise, don't panic. As long as you devote enough time to revision, you'll be surprised how much you get done.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest