The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why is crime so prevalent among black people in UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NickLCFC
Note: Please don't interpret this thread to have some kind of racist agenda. I'm genuinely interested as to what factors contribute towards these higher crime rates.

Statistics from the Ministry of Justice from 2014 show that 'Black' and 'Mixed' British Nationals are disproportionately represented in UK prisons:

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/480250/bulletin.pdf + https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/race-and-the-criminal-justice-system-2014

The chance of black British person being in prison is almost 3x the average for the entire UK population (all ethnicities).

The low figures among 'Chinese or Other' are also pretty interesting.

Unsurprisingly, a somewhat similar pattern can be seen among the arrest rates:

Is Economic Status a factor?
A reasonable explanation for these high rates of crime could be put down to higher rates of poverty among black people. A report by poverty.org shows the proportion of people who live in low-income households (http://www.poverty.org.uk/06/index.shtml):

From this, it is evident that black minorities are more likely to live in low-income households. However, the rate is also much higher among Pakistanis and Bangladeshis (60% and 70% respectively) as well as it being high among Indians (30%). These 3 ethnic groups make up the vast majority of the UK 'Asian' population. Can you therefore really consider economic status to be a big factor/cause of crime? It clearly doesn't have as much of an impact on crime among the 'Asian' ethnic group.

Is the UK justice system racist?
Maybe the justice system just discriminates against black people hence the higher prison population. However, the conviction rates suggest otherwise:

Why is crime more prevalent among black and mixed British people in the UK? I'm interested to hear other people's thoughts on this.

Media. Always posting headline stories about the problem with black crime and black boys. If black crime is all that is covered in the media, the police are more likely to search for it, which is why stop and searches are like 5 times more likely in black people. If you focus more on the crime we commit, you're more likely to find this crime and so the rates of crime 'increase' to make people believe that this is a problem. This also ties in with institutional racism. Also, being present in the news will obviously bring attention to it so the public are more on the lookout for black crime, so they will also report it more.

Marginalisation: poverty and socio-economic disadvantages are likely in ethnic minorities. This impacts upon educational achievement. If success cannot be achieved through legimitate means (getting good grades at school, going to uni and getting a good job) they will revert to the only other avenue..illigetimate means and perhaps a life or crime. they may not feel accepted in a society that is like 87% white people, so they reject society's norms and form their own norms in a subculture, usually deviant behaviour that they know society is not accepting of.
Also have the master status. Some black people may accept the label attached to them, that is that blacks are more likely to be criminals and hence, they live up to this label and become criminals.

Source: A level sociology: crime and deviance
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by cherryred90s
Media. Always posting headline stories about the problem with black crime and black boys. If black crime is all that is covered in the media, the police are more likely to search for it, which is why stop and searches are like 5 times more likely in black people. If you focus more on the crime we commit, you're more likely to find this crime and so the rates of crime 'increase' to make people believe that this is a problem. This also ties in with institutional racism. Also, being present in the news will obviously bring attention to it so the public are more on the lookout for black crime, so they will also report it more.

Is black crime really covered that much in the media? I've never realised noticed this alleged focus on black crime in the mainstream media. As for institutional racism: where is it in the UK? You can't just point to institutional racism and not expand on it and provide evidence for it. The fact that stop and searches are more common for black people doesn't necessarily point to racism within the UK police force (it's just over 4x more likely btw not 5x).

1) If you see the Ministry of Justice crime statistics posted, crime rates are clearly higher among the black population.
2) From the government study that was posted on Page 2 of this thread (http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200607/cmselect/cmhaff/181/181i.pdf): black people are more likely to come to the attention of police because of the prevalence in the TYPE of crimes they commit.

I think both these factors contribute to higher number of stop and searches. However, admittedly there is most likely some level of discrimination/ stereotyping that also contributes to this high number of stop and searches.

Marginalisation: poverty and socio-economic disadvantages are likely in ethnic minorities. This impacts upon educational achievement. If success cannot be achieved through legimitate means (getting good grades at school, going to uni and getting a good job) they will revert to the only other avenue..illigetimate means and perhaps a life or crime. they may not feel accepted in a society that is like 87% white people, so they reject society's norms and form their own norms in a subculture, usually deviant behaviour that they know society is not accepting of.
Also have the master status. Some black people may accept the label attached to them, that is that blacks are more likely to be criminals and hence, they live up to this label and become criminals.

As already you pointed out yourself, these are issues that affect ALL ethnic minorities, so why does this only cause such a high rate of crime in just the black British and mixed British population? If you read my original post you would see that Asian people in the UK are more likely to live in 'low-income households'; yet the crime rates among British Asians is nowhere near as high.
(edited 8 years ago)
I havn't read all the posts in this thread, I just want to share what my reading brought up when I looked at the vulnerability of some groups in regards to education.

In related to Black or Minority Ethnic Groups, there was a high level of institutional racism within schools, with exclusion disproportionately high for BME students. There was also cultural concerns such as deprivation, poverty and vulnerability to discrimination, crime, lack of support etc.
Original post by WBZ144
My mum said that back in her day (the 1970s) the thing she feared the most was having a son because of how targeted Black males were by the police. My brothers do not dress and act like many of the other Black youth so they are generally left alone. But I can imagine that for those living in poorer areas who look the way the police would expect a stereotypical gangster to look it would be a different story.

Sad, isn't it? The police are committing genocide, and its completely ignored
Poverty

and unfortunate group psychology causing a positive feedback loop
Original post by Multiculturalism
Sad, isn't it? The police are committing genocide, and its completely ignored

LOL

Wow.
Original post by Years & Months
LOL

Wow.

[video]https://youtu.be/KuZrSzc9KvQ[/video]
x

I'm not clicking on your link you fascist pig.
I'm not clicking on your link you fascist pig.

I'm fascist? LOL

Its not a virus, chill
I'm fascist

At least you admit it. :smile:
I'm fascist? LOL

Its not a virus, chill

At least you admit it. :smile:

LOL pathetic editing of quotes.
LOL pathetic editing of quotes.

You said it, not me, don't cry you fascist.
You said it, not me, don't cry you fascist.

What was the link to anyway?
Reply 93
Original post by 999tigger
Care to explain which bit isnt true?

Clearly a lot of crime by black people is gang related and against other black people

How many black people have you met in your entire life? ...And how much american TV do you watch?Its is a very narrow minded point of view that you have and that is a shame tbh.Not all black people join gangs, not all black people commit crimes and not all black people use weapons against each other.Any human being has the ability to commit a crime regardles of their race.

Source: A level sociology: crime and deviance

To go on your first point my brother is an intelligence officer with West Midlands Police and served under the special constabulary the point is they stop and search anyone who acts suspiciously. Also if they are five times more likely to be searched they are also look 5 times as suspicious. Im only talking about the West Midlands area here but organised crime is the reason why many black people are arrested in the City of Birmingham the Burger Boys have a lot of black and Asain members but very little white people. If this is the case why are some black people richer than white people?- Your right on average whites are richer but poverty is a extreme word to use,
Reply 95
There are a lot of factors one is fatherless children
Tbh I think there needs to be a differentiation. Are we talking about Black African or afro-caribbeans or just Black British or all of them? One thing though I assume (could be wrong) is that this is more of a black male issue than with Black women.
Good question. Does this mean that ghanian, nigerian, somali or ethiopian brits are more criminal than the average anglo saxon brit. In America Black Africans are definitely not more criminal than the average white population. Also the notion Black British is misleading because from that logic you also could lump together indians and gypsies because both populations have indian roots and look similar. In central europe you are sometimes hardly able to differentiate between indians and gypsies. So why lump together black people? Because they do so in the united states?
Original post by the bear
the astonishing thing is how well behaved the Chinese community are. they work hard, do not cause trouble and keep themselves to themselves.

They neither descend from slaves nor have a missionary religion.
Black British Carrebeans, African Americans, South Africans or Asians like gypsies (Indians) have a long history of slavery, thats why they are socialy dysfunct.
Original post by generallee
It is also interesting to compare the crime statistics and state of general governance in black majority countries.

Compare the crime rates in South Africa and Rhodesia/Zimbabwe now, and when they were run by whites. Or Jamaica pre and post independence. Or Nigeria.

Those countries all went down the plug hole. Why?

Nigerian crime is not higher than crime in latin american countries or thailand, phillipines etc.
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Jamaica are states of former slaves. A gypsy state would look the same way, and gypsies are only asian indians who were slaves in Eastern Europe.

Latest

Trending

Trending