The Student Room Group

Someone got caught speeding the other day

Heres a story about it on the BBC website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-36091495

You know those electromagnetic solar discharge things that NASA says can screw with electrical equipment, can they affect speed cameras and other nuisance gadgets? Would be sods law that if I ever break the speed limit (which it wont tho) that it wont be during a CME contact with Earth.

Also does it count as speeding if your on a horse at the time?
Original post by Laomedeia
Heres a story about it on the BBC website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-36091495

You know those electromagnetic solar discharge things that NASA says can screw with electrical equipment, can they affect speed cameras and other nuisance gadgets? Would be sods law that if I ever break the speed limit (which it wont tho) that it wont be during a CME contact with Earth.

That is pretty damned fast to be driving to be fair! It's quite weird to think that I occasionally drive along that road, and could meet someone like him there...

No idea about the solar discharge thingys, sounds way too complicated for me :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Laomedeia

Cyclists go faster than cars in 20 zones here.

Fastest I went was about 147 in the middle of the night. Those days are behind me, though.
Original post by NX172
Cyclists go faster than cars in 20 zones here.

Fastest I went was about 147 in the middle of the night. Those days are behind me, though.

Bet they don't get tickets xD

147! Was that on a motorway I'm presuming??
Reply 4
Original post by mobbsy91
Bet they don't get tickets xD

147! Was that on a motorway I'm presuming??

Yeah, on M4 back to Bristol, there's a downhill where you can pick up quite a lot of speed. Was having fun with another guy who easily went over 150 but I opted not to chase
Original post by NX172
Yeah, on M4 back to Bristol, there's a downhill where you can pick up quite a lot of speed. Was having fun with another guy who easily went over 150 but I opted not to chase

WHAT :redface: You do not go at 147, and let someone go faster than you - that was a motorway race in the making... what a missed opportunity!!! I guess it could've very easily become pretty dangerous (but fun!) though!
Reply 6
Original post by mobbsy91
WHAT :redface: You do not go at 147, and let someone go faster than you - that was a motorway race in the making... what a missed opportunity!!! I guess it could've very easily become pretty dangerous (but fun!) though!

My car is electronically limited to 155 anyway. Which might also be true for that guy as well (BMW M3). The thing is, I knew that people get caught a little bit further on that part of the motorway so I had to kill the speed before reaching it. There were quite a lot of lanes open at the time (3-4AM).
Original post by NX172
My car is electronically limited to 155 anyway. Which might also be true for that guy as well (BMW M3). The thing is, I knew that people get caught a little bit further on that part of the motorway so I had to kill the speed before reaching it. There were quite a lot of lanes open at the time (3-4AM).

Aha, should've hit the 155!!

I've got a nice stretch of road near my house which is usually quite quiet, and it's just about long enough to hit 100 if you don't change up too quickly, but just so often I'll hit 90-95 and just miss out on 100 - always my goal along that road though :biggrin:

Yeh, cameras are the bane of my life xD And I always panic when I go through one thinking I've gone too fast!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending