The Student Room Group

National Union of Students elects Malia Bouattia as president.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheArtofProtest
The hole you've dug has gone far enough, I think. Let me give you a hand up:

Black Palestinians.

The very first link shows most black Palestinians are from Chad, Nigeria, Sudan and Senegal, or descended from immigrants from those countries, and - surprise, surprise - are not racially Arabs at all:

http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2013/11/black-palestinians-suffer-racism.html#

They are Palestinians. They are not Arabs. Such a deep hole.

Now, about those black Arabs you were going to link me to.
Original post by BeastOfSyracuse
Harry's Place did a good write-up on Bouattia's history of making bigoted comments and stirring up discord

http://hurryupharry.org/2016/04/18/bouattia-in-her-own-words/

And the Tab published a video of her supporting violence against civilians (a war crime)

http://thetab.com/2016/04/19/watch-future-nus-president-malia-bouattia-endorse-violent-struggle-87052

I don't know whether you've watched the video on the Tab or not...

"Internalised Islamophobia has also enabled our obsession with convincing non-Muslims of our non-violent and peaceful nature.

So she's campaigning with Palestine's [violent] Revolution, but Muslims aren't violent themselves. If a Muslim or Muslim organisation is violent, it isn't really Muslim, I suppose.

She isn't qualified to lead students across the UK. She's on stage reading a carefully scripted speech.

She is worryingly extremist.
She is exactly what the NUS needs to show the world just how ****ing nuts they have become.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I believe the average voter turn out at SU presidential elections is circa 22%, given the close split between moderates and the likes of Malla. Hundreds of thousands of students are being represented by a fringe group voted in by 11-15% of students.

Frankly, this is undemocratic and without an overhaul of NUS voting or a minimum viable voter turn out, the radical left will continue to dominate.
Just to clarify, the NUS meaning of Black is:

"Students of African, Asian, Arab and Caribbean heritage, and other non-European groups."
Original post by -=|Jay|=-

"Students of African, Asian, Arab and Caribbean heritage, and other non-European groups."

hehe The NUS - redefining words to suit weird political agendas since 1922.

I really cant get over how ignorantly racist the NUS is...
Original post by TheArtofProtest
Let me give you a hand up:

I'm still waiting to hear more about these black Arabs and Berbers, and why you criticised me for saying that most Palestinians are Arabs.
The sheer stupidity of the NUS does not cease to amaze me.
Does anyone take the NUS seriously any more? Anyone??

http://order-order.com/2016/04/20/moment-nus-applauds-anti-holocaust-memorial-day-speech/

Encourage your university student union to disaffiliate. It is the only way...
Original post by JezWeCan!
Does anyone take the NUS seriously any more? Anyone??

http://order-order.com/2016/04/20/moment-nus-applauds-anti-holocaust-memorial-day-speech/

Encourage your university student union to disaffiliate. It is the only way...

Front page of the Times tomorrow, headlining Oxford already calling a vote but including many other top universities in the article who will be calling one, I will be there to help ensure York calls an immediate referendum at the AGM on Monday.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If that is their specific definition of Black, then that would include Chinese, Thai, Filipino etc. Seems they're defining 'Black' as 'not White'.
I don't know why, but I am really enjoying watching the NUS crumble under their own political ****storm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Good bloke
I'm still waiting to hear more about these black Arabs and Berbers, and why you criticised me for saying that most Palestinians are Arabs.

Of course there are plenty of Afro-Arabs who live in Northern Africa and Southeastern Africa, such as the Haratin people of the Sahara who have dark complexions ('Haratin' literally translates to 'black) who speak Berber and Arabic.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by Dodgypirate
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36094328

"A student who previously rejected a motion condemning the so-called Islamic State has been elected as the president of the National Union of Students."

How progressive, how forward-thinking.

You must be upset and angry that a Muslim woman was elected as NUS president. How dare they? Shocking.
Original post by Happy97
You must be upset and angry that a Muslim woman was elected as NUS president. How dare they? Shocking.

This is the best result possible, the NUS will now fall even faster than previously predicted. We are already seeing universities calling for disaffiliation. It hasn't even been a day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
Front page of the Times tomorrow, headlining Oxford already calling a vote but including many other top universities in the article who will be calling one, I will be there to help ensure York calls an immediate referendum at the AGM on Monday.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good on 'yer!

This is the only way that this unrepresentative clique and cabal can be knocked off their perch.

They have made the NUS into a figure of fun in wider society of course (the Times had an April Fool that Imperial was changing its name because of pressure to renounce its colonialist supporting moniker for example) but it is worse than that.

The anti semitism and pro Islamism is evil and downright dangerous... :frown:
Original post by DiddyDec
This is the best result possible, the NUS will now fall even faster than previously predicted. We are already seeing universities calling for disaffiliation. It hasn't even been a day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Calls for disaffiliating from the NUS go back a way though, they are a fairly regular thing over the years and often don't amount to much, or don't last.
The key thing in this debate is, does disliking Zionism = anti-semitism?

The PR from the Israeli right and their supporters abroad is that they are one on the same.

To many of the left, they are very different things.

The problem is that it's hard to sort out what people's motives are in the middle of it all. There are anti-semites amongst the Left who take an anti-zionist line merely as a pretext. There are also supporters of Israel who blanket every charge against the Israeli government or Israeli actions as anti-semitism. Both are surely wrong.

We can't easily tell if the new NUS president is only politically anti-zionist and not aligning herself with anti-Jewish tendencies, but her previous statements do tend to indicate that her anti-zionism is at minimum, unsophisticated. From what I've been able to read of her positions outside of the Daily Mail and the Torygraph, it would also seem like she's busy back-pedalling various fairly anti-semitic sounding things she's said in the past, but on the whole, her position is anti-Zionist rather than anti-Jewish as such.

In the end it's all down to how you view anti-Zionism. You either view it as being anti-racist and view the Israeli state as racist due to its colonialist expulsion and mistreatment of native Palestinians, or you view it as wrong because after the Holocaust, the Jews needed a safe homeland and it is traditionally 'their land of Israel'.

As everyone pretty much falls into one of those two camps and it's extremely hard to completely resolve either position as totally correct, there is going to continue to be fierce debate between them. Seems like not the right thing to disaffiliate over to me.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
it would also seem like she's busy back-pedalling various fairly anti-semitic sounding things she's said in the past, but on the whole, her position is anti-Zionist rather than anti-Jewish as such.

how many time can a person say ****** before being called a racist

it is fact she has spouted anti-semitic rhetoric and called for the use of violence in her cause

http://thetab.com/2016/04/19/watch-future-nus-president-malia-bouattia-endorse-violent-struggle-87052

If this were a white male he would have been crucified by public opinion (and rightly so) not made head of the NUS
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending