The Student Room Group

The astonishing vestigial hard right hatred of gay people

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60

Let's be honest - nobody LIKES homosexuals. Not in an overall sense. Yes, they may have queer friends that they don't reject, yes they may enjoy theatrical productions & parades, etc. but they do not (as a rule) have relationships that are "best friend" relationships. No parent yearns for a homosexual offspring.

So most people find it difficult to get all worked up over what ISIS does to homosexuals today, especially when the Bible repeatedly describes death as the penalty for perverted sex acts. For the average person, it does not matter that the New Testament superseded the Old Testament; they still see that God Himself was/is not opposed to the death penalty for homosexual behavior.

We can be gracious to homosexuals as a social policy but that doesn't make homosexuals likeable or "one of us". They are deliberately deviant AND they revel in being victims of social disapproval. This makes them annoying at best and serious threats to stability at worst.

Not to mention that it isn't like ISIS is hiding anything. Everybody in areas of ISIS control knows what happens to homosexuals. If they continue their behaviors in a manner that ISIS can see, what is surprising about getting tossed off a building?

Is it the thrill of pushing the social envelope? Sure looks like it could be. Or they could just be genetically stupid., Who knows? Sad though it might be, few people care about homosexuals and their dramatic travails.

Oh the irony :rolleyes:

He takes ignorance and stupidity to a whole new level, it's like he sees gay people as a different species ffs :facepalm:
Original post by The Epicurean
Some on the left are too. I seen you drop a racist generalisation about white people the other day, which is proof that people on the left can be racist too.

Rubbish. All whites are slave owners... even these white people, who were actually slave owners

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbary_slave_trade
this gave me a mini panic attack :s-smilie:
i am a Right Wing Christian but am very tolerant about people's sexuality. I am sure if i had friends some of them would be gay.
Original post by the bear
i am a Right Wing Christian but am very tolerant about people's sexuality. I am sure if i had friends some of them would be gay.

What do you mean "if you had friends"? You don't have any?
Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
What do you mean "if you had friends"? You don't have any?

what i said :colondollar:
How can you be OK saying that you're a nationalist? Why are you a nationalist?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The Epicurean
I seen you drop a racist generalisation

LOL? What did I say then??
Poppin' dat corn
Original post by HanSoloLuck

But marriage is a religious institution

Nope. Marriage is a civil institution which in certain cases is given a religious imprimatur.

Thus you don't need to go to a church to get married, you can do so in a registry office
Most definitely. In other comments I do state that I understand these views are not even in the mainstream of the social conservative right. And as I said, I have plenty of conservative friends; in fact, the majority of my mates are centre-right classical liberals (very open socially, in favour of free markets and state fiscal discipline)

Even if someone is like that, it's their right to have an opinion AND to be able to voice it, so you can suck it up leftists.

Now you're just being puerile. You clearly don't have the most basic clue about my political orientation, and you seem to be emotionally driven to find an argument that doesn't exist on this thread, one in which you can pose as the brave defender of free speech. Given nobody has called for this individual to suffer criminal consequences or be silenced, you won't find any opportunity to pose as such here.

Remember lefties, being liberal requires supporting true freedom of speech and hating censorship. If you'd silence someone, no matter how offensive they are being, then you're not liberal, you're fascist.

You'll have to point out where I called for this person to be silenced. Why is it that those on the religious right and those on the centre-right who covertly sympathise with them confuse the idea of freedom of speech (freedom from state interference in speech) with some putative "right" not to be opposed over your views, even ridiculed for them, and for people to point out what a jackass the person is?

Why do they always whine about being "persecuted" when someone is simply drawing attention to their foul views and speaking out against it? Freedom of speech is the right to express yourself, not some made-up right never to face the social and societal consequences of expressing them (being viewed with contempt by mainstream society, in the case of far right bigots)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheTechN1304
I would consider you hateful more than anything. If your religion has caused you to think that anyone who doesn't believe in Christ is going to hell (pretty extreme), that the death penalty should be allowed and that abortion and same sex marriage should be illegal, it's pretty sad really. Quite ironic that you also say you try to 'contribute to the community'...'Love thy neighbour', just as long as your neighbour isn't gay, non-religious, someone who drinks alcohol or a woman who believes in abortion. You should pray to your God that you can overcome all your prejudices.

So many religious people are hypocrites and judgmental and it's disgusting.
I am sure she has done things that would make her up in her magical idea of hell.
Your concept of diversity is that everyone has the same culture?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by teensnails

I think he meant diversity of races, origins and religions, but, pertinently, not core values.
Original post by teensnails

Not "same culture" but a basic set of fundamental principles that is not to be compromised for e.g. like secularism.
Original post by Years & Months
I think he meant diversity of races, origins and religions, but, pertinently, not core values.

Peroxidation's a woman, not a man.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown

if they hide their gender symbol then they can't complain when they are incorrectly labelled as a man/woman.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown

She's above both. She is too good to be a man or a woman.

More like an asexual demigod :tongue:

Edit: Oh and that's Peroxidation (pbuh) to you...
How backwards. I wonder how many people silently agree with ISIS' homophobic acts due to their own regressive beliefs :holmes:.

Original post by the bear
i am a Right Wing Christian but am very tolerant about people's sexuality.

In my experience, most of the religious right in the west are like this guy.
Original post by Years & Months

Firstly, I'd say religion is a core value whatever way you look at it. Secondly, feminists argue that core values are themselves the outcome of a power struggle that cannot be disconnected from race, origin, or, indeed, gender. While I would not agree with the extreme type of thinking that feels the need to recast history as 'herstory', it should be clear that power relations are an important determinant in the development of a whole range of ideas such as universal suffrage, trickle down economics, and gay marriage.

Original post by chemting
Not "same culture" but a basic set of fundamental principles that is not to be compromised for e.g. like secularism.
Yet the core value of liberal democracy is that people are free to believe as they want, and express those beliefs freely. For example, those who do not believe in the separation of church and state may live in a state where church and state are separated. In contrast, those who believe in separation of church and state have a hard time living in the Vatican.

Moreover, it raises the question of how far those basic set of fundamental principles are shared even between natives. E.g. the UK has a monarch who signs off on all laws. The monarch's position is given to her by the grace of god. So how can the UK really claim complete separation between church and state? And if we accept that there is no complete separation, can we still say royalists fully subscribe to the idea of secularism?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending