The Student Room Group
Design Students, University of Cumbria
University of Cumbria
Carlisle

university of cumbria (lancaster campus)

what is the student life like in Lancaster for Cumbria students? when I looked around the campus on an applicant day one of the ambassadors told me there is not much to do at the campus or around Lancaster and that people just go home at the weekends instead of going out. Is this true?
Original post by cbartz98
what is the student life like in Lancaster for Cumbria students? when I looked around the campus on an applicant day one of the ambassadors told me there is not much to do at the campus or around Lancaster and that people just go home at the weekends instead of going out. Is this true?

I'm a student at Lancaster University rather than Cumbria but I know the town very well. The ambassador was largely talking a load of rubbish as there's a lot to do in Lancaster (can't comment on the UCUM campus - I've only been to it once) and most students don't go home for the weekend.

Lancaster is not the biggest town in the UK by a long way, but for its size it has an extensive night life because about 20% of the population are students.
Design Students, University of Cumbria
University of Cumbria
Carlisle
Reply 2
Original post by Manitude
I'm a student at Lancaster University rather than Cumbria but I know the town very well. The ambassador was largely talking a load of rubbish as there's a lot to do in Lancaster (can't comment on the UCUM campus - I've only been to it once) and most students don't go home for the weekend.

Lancaster is not the biggest town in the UK by a long way, but for its size it has an extensive night life because about 20% of the population are students.

that is really helpful thank you. I'm not going to lie she did get me worried that it would be boring living in Lancaster so I feel much better know. Just checking do you know if people from cumbria and Lancaster uni mix with each other on nights out or are kept separate? I know that the sugarhouse is for Lancaster students but can people from cumbria go to? Thank you for your help :smile:
that is really helpful thank you. I'm not going to lie she did get me worried that it would be boring living in Lancaster so I feel much better know. Just checking do you know if people from cumbria and Lancaster uni mix with each other on nights out or are kept separate? I know that the sugarhouse is for Lancaster students but can people from cumbria go to? Thank you for your help :smile:

There's not that much mixing, but I do know a few UCUM students. Honestly on nights out you can't exactly tell where people are from. Sugarhouse is open to UCUM students most nights, if not all. In fact I think it's open to students from any university. In fact, I know some people from Greece who used their Greek university ID to get into Sugarhouse a few weeks ago.
Reply 4
There's not that much mixing, but I do know a few UCUM students. Honestly on nights out you can't exactly tell where people are from. Sugarhouse is open to UCUM students most nights, if not all. In fact I think it's open to students from any university. In fact, I know some people from Greece who used their Greek university ID to get into Sugarhouse a few weeks ago.

Oh that's really helpful thank you. one last thing do you like living in Lancaster and would you recommend it? Apart from that I think you have answered all my worries about Lancaster life. thank you for all your help I feel much better about coming to Lancaster to study (and party :smile:) than before :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
You will be shocked by the amount of clubs and pubs in such a short radius of each other haha.
Oh that's really helpful thank you. one last thing do you like living in Lancaster and would you recommend it? Apart from that I think you have answered all my worries about Lancaster life. thank you for all your help I feel much better about coming to Lancaster to study (and party :smile:) than before :smile:

Well put it this way - I chose to do my undergraduate here, I then chose to do my masters here and I'm currently doing my PHD here. I wouldn't do that if I didn't thoroughly enjoy being here!

It doesn't suit everyone because some people are coming from London or Manchester or Birmingham and expect every town to be just as busy as that. Personally I grew up in a tiny village of fewer than 100 people so Lancaster is a very big place for me with loads to do. I've been here over five years and there are still plenty of things I've not yet done that I want to do.
Well put it this way - I chose to do my undergraduate here, I then chose to do my masters here and I'm currently doing my PHD here. I wouldn't do that if I didn't thoroughly enjoy being here!

It doesn't suit everyone because some people are coming from London or Manchester or Birmingham and expect every town to be just as busy as that. Personally I grew up in a tiny village of fewer than 100 people so Lancaster is a very big place for me with loads to do. I've been here over five years and there are still plenty of things I've not yet done that I want to do.

Did you ever live in accommodation in town? If so, how was it for price?
Original post by littlenorthernlass
Did you ever live in accommodation in town? If so, how was it for price?

Yep, although only in two different places including the place I'm in now.

It's a lot cheaper than campus. I currently pay £80 a week all bills included for a reasonably large double room in a nice bit of town. You can find places cheaper than that but most student accommodation I've seen is between £80 and £90 a week.
Yep, although only in two different places including the place I'm in now.

It's a lot cheaper than campus. I currently pay £80 a week all bills included for a reasonably large double room in a nice bit of town. You can find places cheaper than that but most student accommodation I've seen is between £80 and £90 a week.

But compared to other towns/cities, I mean? Is it quite expensive:beard:?
Original post by littlenorthernlass
But compared to other towns/cities, I mean? Is it quite expensive:beard:?

Depends which other places you compare to. Compare to London, very cheap. Compared to, for example, the North East, it is a bit more expensive. Generally it's on the cheaper end.
Reply 11
I know I have already asked questions about the student life at Lancaster but since then I have been told that the actual university of Cumbria is not as good as it first seemed. Is anyone currently studying there that could answer a few questions about the uni? for example I have been told:
it is disorganised
has a rubbish library
dirty and falling apart
unsupportive
mainly post grad courses (I will be coming straight from college)
poor quality teaching
and that you force you to go back to your home town to go on placement.

I don't know if I believe all this because it seemed so nice when I looked around but I wondered if anyone else could confirm if this information is correct or not before I make my final decision about coming in September. thank you
Hi what course have you got into, ive got an interview for adult nursing quite nervous as this is going to be my first ever interview

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending