The Student Room Group

Court stops circumcision.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by TheArtofProtest
An "eye for an eye" has not been replaced by the justice system and juries.
So, the family of a murder victim can demand the death of the prepetrator?

Someone who loses a leg in a drink driver accident can demand the amputation of the guilty party's leg?

Are you sure? (We are talking about the UK here, not KSA)

I personally don't see why you should get a say in what others feel is in the best interests of their own child unless of course, you are also shouldered with the burden of bringing the child up yourself.
So, you think that parents should be allowed to do whatever they want to their children, as long as they believe that it is in their best interests. That's kinda disturbing.
(I've already asked you this, but you appear to have forgotten to respond)

Furthermore, circumcision is practiced even where religion is not even a major factor.
This is not about religion. It is about not mutilating the genitals of children.
Reply 421
Original post by TimmonaPortella
You don't own your children.
You do in Islam.
Original post by QE2
You do in Islam.

But not under English law, thankfully.
Reply 423
Better to have no argument than an argument stinking of fallacies.
Erm, with all due respect, your argument is that you would permit incestual paedophilia, as long as the parent believed that it was in the child's best interests, so glass houses and all that.
Reply 424
If you don't want your child to be circumcised, then I'm not going to tell you that you must circumcise him because I respect the fact that as a parent, you would do what is in the best interests of your own child.

I'd like you to respect my right to determine what is in the best interests of my child, until he comes of such a age where he is able to exercise his own independent thought.
If you decide that, because of demonic possession, it is in your child's best interests to have his heart ceremonially removed, any sane person would try and stop you. And rightly so.

You should really just stick to obfuscation and red herrings. Actually stating a position obviously isn't your forté.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
And I'm sure you're struggling to come to terms with the fact that your parents took a butcher's knife to your genitalia for no reason whatsoever. And, look, they may well be decent and perhaps even generally sensible people. We needn't ostracise those who used to engage in prescientific practices. It just has to stop.

You are such an exaggerator :laugh:
Reply 426
Original post by cherryred90s
PRSOM
And if you decide that FGM is in your child's best interests, we should all respect your right to do whatever you want to your child. Or scarification. Or incestual paedophilia.
Because it's no one else's business.

Please try and think these things through, because one day, you might have children, and I'd like to think that they would be safe.
Original post by QE2
And if you decide that FGM is in your child's best interests, we should all respect your right to do whatever you want to your child. Or scarification. Or incestual paedophilia.
Because it's no one else's business.

Please try and think these things through, because one day, you might have children, and I'd like to think that they would be safe.

My children will be safe, thank you very much.
Reply 428
First it was that circumcision deadened sensations, and now it is found that in regards to sensation, there is no difference between a circumcised penis and a non-circumcised one.
Objective studies show that there is a reduction in sensitivity.

Anyone who is not circumcised knows, without doubt, that circumcision leads to a reduction in sensitivity.
Reply 429
My children will be safe, thank you very much.
I'm not so sure, if you think that you have a right to do anything you like to your children, in their best interest.

Or did you not really think it through when you PRSOM'd Arty's comment.
I trust that my parents were doing right by me, and their parents before them and so on, and I trust that I will do right by my own children, by having them circumcised.

What a sickening amount of trust.

Okay, by that logic, how do you know that a great ancestor of yours never misplaced that trust, or gave authority to the wrong person, especially in a information-dark age such as theirs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Even as a Jew I support this.
No form of body modification should be done to anyone until the age of 18.
Original post by QE2
I'm not so sure, if you think that you have a right to do anything you like to your children, in their best interest.

Or did you not really think it through when you PRSOM'd Arty's comment.

In regards to male circumcision, I absolutely believe that it should be the decision of the parents. This is because when the procedure is conducted in a clean and sterile environment, the risks are very minimal. I'm sitting here babysitting my nephew and he is perfectly happy, healthy and safe. My friend once changed his nappy, she couldn't even tell that he's been circumcised. It's because of this that I just don't view circimcision to be as horrible as you are all trying to imply. Female circumsion is not the same to me because there are no benefits whatsoever, there will never be a need for a female to be circumcised, and the risks/side effects are substantial.
Of course I understand why somebody would be opposed to it, which is why I'm not trying to convince anyone to be supporting of it, but that should work both ways.
I repped his comment because he summed it up much better than me.
Original post by Xelfrost
Even as a Jew I support this.
No form of body modification should be done to anyone until the age of 18.

Ear piercing? I had my ears done when I was 11. I don't regret it. And the hole can hear over if you leave it for long enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katty3
Ear piercing? I had my ears done when I was 11. I don't regret it. And the hole can hear over if you leave it for long enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Truth be told when I wrote that I was more thinking tattoos/breast implants/circumcision. Piercings never even crossed my mind so, my bad. That kinda thing is okay, although maybe hold off on the more extreme piercings such as stretchers as those are more perminant.
Original post by Katty3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol lets not start on ear piercings. I got mine done when I was like 6months old
Reply 436
In regards to male circumcision, I absolutely believe that it should be the decision of the parents. This is because when the procedure is conducted in a clean and sterile environment, the risks are very minimal.
Same applies to FGM.

I just don't view circimcision to be as horrible as you are all trying to imply. Female circumsion is not the same to me because there are no benefits whatsoever, there will never be a need for a female to be circumcised, and the risks/side effects are substantial.
Same applies to MGM.
(Remember that we are talking about non-medically essential circumcision)

Basically, the argument you use for male circumcision can be applied equally to female circumcision, and the argument you use against FGM can equally be applied to MGM.

I repped his comment because he summed it up much better than me.
Unfortunately, he understands the issue even less than you appear to.
Original post by QE2
Basically, the argument you use for male circumcision can be applied equally to female circumcision, and the argument you use against FGM can equally be applied to MGM.

But muh health benefits and parental rights, dontchaknow.
Reply 438
Original post by Katty3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Although I not entirely sure about little kids with pierced ears, it is not permanent and doesn't require surgical procedure that effects the functioning of the body, so it irrelevant in the context of this issue.
Reply 439
Original post by Xelfrost
Truth be told when I wrote that I was more thinking tattoos/breast implants/circumcision. Piercings never even crossed my mind so, my bad. That kinda thing is okay, although maybe hold off on the more extreme piercings such as stretchers as those are more perminant.
Genital piercing on under 16s is classed as sexual assault.
So WTF isn't elective circumcision?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending