The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

University of Sheffield Accomodation

I applied for accommodation and i am now left really confused.

I am a mature student albeit i will turning 21 when university starts.

Will i be put into accommodation with people like 30 or older or will i be put with my age group like 18-21??

The reason i am asking is because im not really mature and i love partying and i feel i just wont enjoy living with people much older than me.

So does the University of Sheffield put "mature student" in separate acc or is it all mixed?

Thanks
Reply 1
??
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
I'm in the same position, will be 21 in September too and I'd be more comfortable with people our age than 30ish. I have an interview for Sheffield on Monday so I'm sure I'll be able to find out then.
Reply 3
Original post by Caelus
I'm in the same position, will be 21 in September too and I'd be more comfortable with people our age than 30ish. I have an interview for Sheffield on Monday so I'm sure I'll be able to find out then.

I know it will be awkward and boring as **** having to share with people older than probably 24.

If you get some information let me know please.
Probably with the freshers, maybe gap year students. I know quite a few people up to the age of 25 who were in halls and they were all put with younger people.
Reply 5
Original post by Harlene
I know it will be awkward and boring as **** having to share with people older than probably 24.

We'll be in halls with the "normal" students, if you're doing a foundation year you'll either have the chance to move out after that or you can apply for halls again during your first proper year. There's no specific accommodation for mature students.
Original post by Harlene

I am stil 22 when uni starts. Though I can tell you that it won't be boring at all sharing with people that's older than 24. I've lived in London for 7 months for a work placement and I was sharing my flat with people that's 27, 24 and 26. TBH I didn't feel the age difference at all! (this was in 2015, I turned 22 last november)

I can understand the concern. Hence the reason I've applied for a studio. #fingercrossed
Reply 7
Original post by Caelus
We'll be in halls with the "normal" students, if you're doing a foundation year you'll either have the chance to move out after that or you can apply for halls again during your first proper year. There's no specific accommodation for mature students.

Thats a relief man!! Thanks for letting me know appreciate it mate. Did you interview go alright?

Original post by genvanveen
I am stil 22 when uni starts. Though I can tell you that it won't be boring at all sharing with people that's older than 24. I've lived in London for 7 months for a work placement and I was sharing my flat with people that's 27, 24 and 26. TBH I didn't feel the age difference at all! (this was in 2015, I turned 22 last november)

I can understand the concern. Hence the reason I've applied for a studio. #fingercrossed

Sorry i did not mean that they are boring, i would just have ALOT more in common someone who is say 18 as i will be 20.
Reply 8
No problem. The interview was alright, I'm not really confident about it but they'll let me know within a fortnight. I'm anxious about it 'cuz I really got a good impression of the city and I think Sheffield would be my first choice now.
Are you doing à foundation Year? I
Reply 10
Original post by Caelus
No problem. The interview was alright, I'm not really confident about it but they'll let me know within a fortnight. I'm anxious about it 'cuz I really got a good impression of the city and I think Sheffield would be my first choice now.

Hope you get in!! And if you dont mind me asking what course are you studying?

Original post by genvanveen
Are you doing à foundation Year? I

No no going to go to first year? I went travelling. Why?
Oh I thought you were the one who mentioned foundation hear, but it was @caelus
One of my friends started uni here at 21, she got put with people her age, it's not a big deal! Now she lives with 2 girls 3 years younger so age difference doesn't really matter much :tongue: nobody really cares about age at uni I've found, yes some people are visibly older and doing an undergrad but they still fit in just fine

Quick Reply