The Student Room Group

Do you drive differently with passengers?

This might come across as an obvious question, but I have noticed with my own driving that with passengers, depending on who they are, I normally drive with more control and I ensure that the passengers enjoy the ride, so to say.

I have been in cars with friends etc. who seem to have no respect for the passengers and just drive roughly, no matter who they are with.

How does your driving differ? :h:

Scroll to see replies

Depends who it is, friends I'll drive as I normally do, parent or someone older probably stick more rigidly to speed limits and accelerate from a stop a bit more slowly.
Reply 2
Original post by moment of truth
This might come across as an obvious question, but I have noticed with my own driving that with passengers, depending on who they are, I normally drive with more control and I ensure that the passengers enjoy the ride, so to say.

I have been in cars with friends etc. who seem to have no respect for the passengers and just drive roughly, no matter who they are with.

How does your driving differ? :h:

Of course it does. When I'm with parents, I drive like a mouse :lol: so that they don't get worried and stop me from driving altogether. When I'm with friends though :afraid:, I don't think I need to complete the sentence :rofl:
Original post by joey11223
Depends who it is, friends I'll drive as I normally do, parent or someone older probably stick more rigidly to speed limits and accelerate from a stop a bit more slowly.

Is there a huge difference between the driving styles though? When I am on my own, I tend to drive more "rough", but even when I am with friends, I tend to still drive quite smoothly (I think anyway :lol:)

Original post by Hamoody
Of course it does. When I'm with parents, I drive like a mouse :lol: so that they don't get worried and stop me from driving altogether. When I'm with friends though :afraid:, I don't think I need to complete the sentence :rofl:

loool, do you think they would actually stop you from driving? I guess most people are like this, to be fair. :lol:
Is there a huge difference between the driving styles though? When I am on my own, I tend to drive more "rough", but even when I am with friends, I tend to still drive quite smoothly (I think anyway :lol:)

Depends on the friend I guess, but no generally it's the same...in all honesty with some of them I probably drive worse, especially as with one we're often driving back from another friends quite late on a weeknight on a route with next to zero traffic, dem roundabouts, hold on your seat.
I think it's polite to drive more smoothly with passengers - take corners more slowly, more care to avoid bumps and potholes, make the ride smoother in general and reduce acceleration/deceleration. As a driver, you're constantly holding the wheel in front of you, and you can anticipate every move, as you're causing them, so it's easy to feel stable. As a front seat passenger, you have nothing holding you in place other than the back of your seat, so are likely to get thrown around a bit more by a rough ride.
Yeh haha, very very differently!

Also depends on who the passengers are - if it's my mate, I drive more as I would when on my own.
When it's my family, I drive a lot more carefully because they always have a go at me if they don't think I'm driving very safely!
im much more careful when i have passenger, especially when i have my friends little girl in the car
Nothing more annoying than someone driving harshly while you're a passenger, so I try and bare this in mind when I'm carrying them. When I'm alone, though, it's F1 time :colone:
Original post by WoodyMKC
Nothing more annoying than someone driving harshly while you're a passenger, so I try and bare this in mind when I'm carrying them. When I'm alone, though, it's F1 time :colone:

When driving my mate (and when I'm passenger in his car) we pretty much egg each other on for F1 time... When we're convoying as well, we're crazy on the road :biggrin: (Don't tell anyone :tongue: )

loool, do you think they would actually stop you from driving? I guess most people are like this, to be fair. :lol:

Actually they are really very protective :redface:
I drive more carefully when i have passengers in the car. I dont want them to feel uneasy about riding along with me.
On my own i accelerate quickly (but obey the speed limits) and take corners a bit quicker
Original post by Hamoody

Yeahhh haha xD This!!! Well deserved rep :tongue:
Yup. Alone, I'll be drifting over the limit, windows open, music up to max (I live in the countryside, dw I turn it down when I enter civilisation)...

When I'm with people, I'll drop it down to a more comfortable speed and obvs cut the music down by about 95% too
Original post by joey11223
Depends on the friend I guess, but no generally it's the same...in all honesty with some of them I probably drive worse, especially as with one we're often driving back from another friends quite late on a weeknight on a route with next to zero traffic, dem roundabouts, hold on your seat.

Yeah, that's fair enough. I love driving at night when the roads are basically empty and you can just bomb it down the street (except when there are cameras :lol:).

Even with friends, I try to keep it fairly decent and don't want to be really rough, unlike some people that I know.
Original post by mobbsy91
Yeh haha, very very differently!

Also depends on who the passengers are - if it's my mate, I drive more as I would when on my own.
When it's my family, I drive a lot more carefully because they always have a go at me if they don't think I'm driving very safely!

Cause I'm a fairly new driver, my family do that too! Luckily, they don't as much as they used to, but they used to constantly moan and tell me that I should drive slower etc. etc. Nowadays, I can drive with my mum in the car and she won't say a word for the whole journey (about my driving :tongue:)! :biggrin:
Cause I'm a fairly new driver, my family do that too! Luckily, they don't as much as they used to, but they used to constantly moan and tell me that I should drive slower etc. etc. Nowadays, I can drive with my mum in the car and she won't say a word for the whole journey (about my driving :tongue:)! :biggrin:

Ahh yeh, I'm in the same boat... It's why I pretty much hate driving with them, although, I suppose it does make me safer.
Ahh yeh, I'm in the same boat... It's why I pretty much hate driving with them, although, I suppose it does make me safer.

I'm pretty similar. Like, I know they are saying it for the best, but it just gets really annoying when they are constantly commenting about the quality of driving. They trust me to drive on my own though, so I can't say much more than that! :biggrin:
I'm pretty similar. Like, I know they are saying it for the best, but it just gets really annoying when they are constantly commenting about the quality of driving. They trust me to drive on my own though, so I can't say much more than that! :biggrin:

Yeh exactly... and surely they must think that we don't drive so slowly when on our own...

At times I've actually had to pull over on the side of the road in my village, and wait for about 10 minutes so I didn't get home too quickly so they didn't notice :rofl:
Yeh exactly... and surely they must think that we don't drive so slowly when on our own...

At times I've actually had to pull over on the side of the road in my village, and wait for about 10 minutes so I didn't get home too quickly so they didn't notice :rofl:

Exactly! Sometimes they do have a point, too. I have noticed that there have been a few situations where I should stop and let someone go or something similar, but I guess that will come with experience.

Seriously? :laugh:

Quick Reply