The Student Room Group

Having a part time job but also joining societies?

Hi,
Basically I'm going to have to work at uni as my loan doesn't cover even a shared room accommodation and i feel bad on my parents for having to pay (even though they will help ). I'm thinking of working around 15 hours per week if I can as i don't have many contact hours because I'm doing German and Russian.

My main worry is that I won't be able to join any societies because I've found about 3 I want to join - 2 language/culture societies and the University Air Squadron.

I have a major concern that a job and the UAS would be too much, never mind 2 other societies.

I really don't want to miss out and would like to know how you guys deal with it!

Cheers:smile:
Original post by rleah1998

I have a major concern that a job and the UAS would be too much, never mind 2 other societies.

I really don't want to miss out and would like to know how you guys deal with it!

Hello!

Focus first on being able to live comfortably at university. Try and make sure you will have enough money and keep on top of your classes. Getting a part-time job is very very common and perfectly manageable. If you do have extra time, then you should consider joining societies.

I was part of a University Air Squadron which was a great experience. For part of it, you can get paid, but it's not a stable wage like a part time job. It can also be very time-consuming and demanding. Your experience in it will depend on what you're wanting to get out of the Squadron, and also what they require you to take part in. You (may) have to attend weekly meetings, weekly sports training, weekend expeditions, week/weekend military or flying camps. It offers a lot, and when I was part of it I barely had much time for other societies.

Other clubs and societies will be far less demanding, and you can do as much or as little as you would like. At the same time I was in the UAS, I was part of the Russian Speaking Society which was perfect because I could go along to different events whenever I was free. There were no commitments, but having the option to take part in things was really nice.

Hope this helps, and let us know if you have any other questions! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering
Reply 2
Hi,
Basically I'm going to have to work at uni as my loan doesn't cover even a shared room accommodation and i feel bad on my parents for having to pay (even though they will help ). I'm thinking of working around 15 hours per week if I can as i don't have many contact hours because I'm doing German and Russian.

My main worry is that I won't be able to join any societies because I've found about 3 I want to join - 2 language/culture societies and the University Air Squadron.

Cheers:smile:

First of all just find a job that will cover and help you with uni. Also I work 3 jobs not including my summer job and I am a full time student. I have joined 2 societies this year and thinking of adding another next year. It all works out for me because I manage my time and make sure everything balances out. What university do you go to?
Reply 3
Original post by Kam Brar
First of all just find a job that will cover and help you with uni. Also I work 3 jobs not including my summer job and I am a full time student. I have joined 2 societies this year and thinking of adding another next year. It all works out for me because I manage my time and make sure everything balances out. What university do you go to?

I'm still at college right now but hopefully I'll be going to Bristol
Reply 4
Hey, hear you're coming to Bristol - wooh!

I'm not 100% on what UAS is/does, but from the description by Glasgow Uni above, it's similar to OTC.
Now my housemate last year also did German and Russian, and he did OTC. He ended up quitting halfway through the year as it was too much of a commitment - and that was the only thing he did outside of uni.

Therefore I do question whether you'll have time to do all 3 clubs and work.
Possibly UAS and the clubs (the language ones won't take up much time, and all optional etc)
And possibly working and the clubs.
But I do think you may struggle to do everything tbh.

The point of getting a lower loan is that your parents are literally meant to help you, so don't feel guilty about it - put your education first.
GL!
Reply 5
Original post by Inazuma

The point of getting a lower loan is that your parents are literally meant to help you, so don't feel guilty about it - put your education first.

I know they're meant to help me and they've assured me they will but I mostly worry about having money for anything other than the basics (eg. Going out, new clothes etc.) So I'll feel bad pressuring them for extra money if you get me.

I work on average about 15 hours a weekend now but literally have no time for anything else since I'm in college all week but I'm hoping that'll change when I get to Uni since I'll have less contact hours and will live nearby.

But it sounds like the UAS will be a bad idea if it'll take up all my time because that's what it sounds like :frown:
Reply 6
I know they're meant to help me and they've assured me they will but I mostly worry about having money for anything other than the basics (eg. Going out, new clothes etc.) So I'll feel bad pressuring them for extra money if you get me.

I work on average about 15 hours a weekend now but literally have no time for anything else since I'm in college all week but I'm hoping that'll change when I get to Uni since I'll have less contact hours and will live nearby.

But it sounds like the UAS will be a bad idea if it'll take up all my time because that's what it sounds like :frown:

Ahh I see, maybe like someone said above getting some odd work whilst at UAS may work if it's just for extras?

15 hrs is pretty reasonable. You could always starts off with the societies and UAS, see how they go, and if you have time then start looking for a job?
Reply 7
Original post by Inazuma
Ahh I see, maybe like someone said above getting some odd work whilst at UAS may work if it's just for extras?

15 hrs is pretty reasonable. You could always starts off with the societies and UAS, see how they go, and if you have time then start looking for a job?

It'll be the other way round :laugh: job first societies second. If i don't get put into one of my first 2 choices for accommodation I'll already be 2k down because of the bloody expensive accommodation down in Bristol :frown: I don't get how they can force us to pick such an expensive option as the 3rd preference!
Reply 8
It'll be the other way round :laugh: job first societies second. If i don't get put into one of my first 2 choices for accommodation I'll already be 2k down because of the bloody expensive accommodation down in Bristol :frown: I don't get how they can force us to pick such an expensive option as the 3rd preference!

Unfortunate lack of space, they have to contract out, can't be helped unfortunately. Bristol's hugely congested accomodation wise. Hopefully you'll be okay though! Always got a big student overdraft :wink:
I had a period of time where I was doing a lot of university work, working part-time about 2 8-hour shifts a week, and was in the committee of a society. I will say it is possible, and although I did feel overwhelmed at times (although I am a very anxious, neurotic person so this probably would have happened anyway), it was managable, and I was still getting 8 hours sleep each night. However I wouldn't recommend joining more than one society if you're going for this, or maybe two societies that don't require a lot of commitment, as personally I felt one was my limit along with a job!

Quick Reply

Latest