The Student Room Group

Need help being myself

Hi,

Let me take you back a notch.

I am from a 'rough area, my family come from Afghanistan/Pakistan but we are a minority group and aren't one of the major ones in either country. Anyways whenever I speak to people and tell them that I'm from this place originally blah blah blah they expect me to be some next emotionless serious guy also considering where I live people have to prove themselves here, I'm not geeky or edgy but I just got my own interests that i don't share with people especially stuff like music because it seems bad that I enjoy certain type of stuff like that.

In all honesty I'm expected to be a stoic male, even from my family, and the most mature as I'm the oldest, but I'm not, I can't relate to my own culture, I can't relate to British culture, I just don't know what I am, what to do, and how I should follow customs and rules. Traditionally you follow your parents, but I don't know, I just find it hard.
You know what you should do, read.

Read some philosophy, understand the concepts, and find which one you like the most. It will help you have a better understanding of what you actually value in life, and therefore you can start being yourself.
Reply 2
Original post by TercioOfParma
You know what you should do, read.

Read some philosophy, understand the concepts, and find which one you like the most. It will help you have a better understanding of what you actually value in life, and therefore you can start being yourself.

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending