The Student Room Group

Should pork be allowed in British Schools?

Scroll to see replies

As ever, there's a common sense solution. Does the school have a large proportion (>50%) of Jewish/Muslim/vegetarian children? If so, banning pork (from school dinners, *not* packed lunches) is fine. However, banning it in all schools is just stupid.
Original post by WoodyMKC
P.S. Don't google "munging". Especially not on image search.

thanks for the advice Woody :colondollar:
Reply 22
A school near me only serves vegetarian food. They have lots of Muslim students, quite a few Jewish students and several vegetarian students. The school made the decision because they didn't have the capacity to cook five different meals each day. Vegetarian food is suitable for almost all of the children and it's perfectly healthy.

Meat has no nutritional benefit over properly planned vegetarian food and not eating meat for five meals out of twenty one will not do anyone any harm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katty3
A school near me only serves vegetarian food. They have lots of Muslim students, quite a few Jewish students and several vegetarian students. The school made the decision because they didn't have the capacity to cook five different meals each day. Vegetarian food is suitable for almost all of the children and it's perfectly healthy.

Meat has no nutritional benefit over properly planned vegetarian food and not eating meat for five meals out of twenty one will not do anyone any harm.

Oh god dammit :facepalm:

I think strictly eating gruel every day wouldn't do you any harm. I'd still be pretty pissed if my children's school thought that constituted a proper meal.
Original post by navarre
As ever, there's a common sense solution. Does the school have a large proportion (>50%) of Jewish/Muslim/vegetarian children? If so, banning pork (from school dinners, *not* packed lunches) is fine. However, banning it in all schools is just stupid.

While it is generally up to the school what they serve, banning pork is very different to just not having pork as a major part of the diet, just because it has a high proportion of muslims and jews. If there is large scale support to not include or provide alternatives to certain foods, then yes the school should cater to this.
Original post by Ambitious1999
I read about a gentleman who was forced to turn down a job offer working in a school canteen because he wasn't able or willing to work with pork products such as bacon, sausages etc. Not only was he disappointed, he had his benefit sanctioned/ stopped for 6 months for refusing a job, luckily the sanction was over turned when they realised that his refusal was down to cultural reasons.

But the issue is should pork products etc be served in the first place if some people are unable to work with them? That pretty much rules a lot of people from taking such jobs.
You've also got many pupils and staff who might feel uneasy that their plate may of had pork on or have been washed in a dishwasher with pork remnants from other plates etc.

What are your opinions? Is it time to think about everyone and what is acceptable to the majority?

Of course not. There should be a vegetarian option at most schools that people who don't eat pork can use, and it's obvious to anyone not incredibly stupid that working in a school kitchen is going to involve working with pork.
Reply 26
Original post by TimmonaPortella

I think strictly eating gruel every day wouldn't do you any harm. I'd still be pretty pissed if my children's school thought that constituted a proper meal.

You know vegetarian food isn't gruel right? I eat loads of different things. Here's an example of my meals for a week:

Monday: Breakfast, wheatabix with milk and raisins. Lunch, spinach, pesto and mozzarella pannini. Snack, banana. Dinner, vegetarian lasagne.

Tuesday: breakfast, wheatabix with dried apricots. Lunch, jacket potato with baked beans. Snack, flapjack. Dinner, tomato and lentil soup.

Wednesday: breakfast, porridge with jam. Lunch, cheese sandwiches, yogurt and am apple. Snack, orange. Dinner: gnocchi with pesto, olives, tomatoes and spinach.

Thursday: breakfast, shredded wheat and banana. Lunch, tomato pasta salad. Snack, lemon drizzle cake. Dinner, Thai green curry.

Friday: breakfast, wheatabix. Lunch, scrambled egg on toast. Snack, kiwi. Dinner, stir fry.

Saturday: breakfast, shredded wheat. Lunch, soup. Snack, flapjack. Dinner, risotto.

Sunday: breakfast, porridge. Lunch, salad. Snack, biscuits. Dinner, pie with veggie mince, mixed veg and gravy with broccoli.

See, you can eat loads of nutritious, filling, tasty meals as a veggie. All are feasible for a school to cook.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
What an absolute idiot, he deserves everything he gets. What legitimate health reason does he have for not serving pork in a canteen?
Reply 28
Original post by navarre

Or in the case of Muslims, if their life choice is not to be around pork products, I hear Syria is good this time of year
Benefits is the problem here, it prevents proper integration into society.
yes this is england not pakistan i demand pork to be in schools
Original post by Katty3
You know vegetarian food isn't gruel right? I eat loads of different things. Here's an example of my meals for a week:

Monday: Breakfast, wheatabix with milk and raisins. Lunch, spinach, pesto and mozzarella pannini. Snack, banana. Dinner, vegetarian lasagne.

Tuesday: breakfast, wheatabix with dried apricots. Lunch, jacket potato with baked beans. Snack, flapjack. Dinner, tomato and lentil soup.

Wednesday: breakfast, porridge with jam. Lunch, cheese sandwiches, yogurt and am apple. Snack, orange. Dinner: gnocchi with pesto, olives, tomatoes and spinach.

Thursday: breakfast, shredded wheat and banana. Lunch, tomato pasta salad. Snack, lemon drizzle cake. Dinner, Thai green curry.

Friday: breakfast, wheatabix. Lunch, scrambled egg on toast. Snack, kiwi. Dinner, stir fry.

Saturday: breakfast, shredded wheat. Lunch, soup. Snack, flapjack. Dinner, risotto.

Sunday: breakfast, porridge. Lunch, salad. Snack, biscuits. Dinner, pie with veggie mince, mixed veg and gravy with broccoli.

See, you can eat loads of nutritious, filling, tasty meals as a veggie. All are feasible for a school to cook.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I literally cannot see a dish in that list that would not be improved immeasurably by the addition of steak.
Reply 32
I literally cannot see a dish in that list that would not be improved immeasurably by the addition of steak.

Porridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Omen96
What an absolute idiot, he deserves everything he gets. What legitimate health reason does he have for not serving pork in a canteen?

Maybe it's a religious or moral reason rather than a health one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If it was a religious/moral issue, then it's disgusting that his benefits got cut.

We found ways of excusing pacifists from conscription at far less tolerant times in our history, I don't imagine it would be that much more difficult to do so with potentially morally objectionable jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katty3

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds horrible. I pity you veggies.
Reply 36

Compare vegetarian school dinners vs meat school dinners. They spend less than 50p on you per meal. Meat is expensive. Give me 40p's worth of vegetarian food over 40p's worth of meat any day.
Original post by JoeTSR
Compare vegetarian school dinners vs meat school dinners. They spend less than 50p on you per meal. Meat is expensive. Give me 40p's worth of vegetarian food over 40p's worth of meat any day.

lol really? That's incredible. Do you have a source?

I mean I guess they might have a point if those numbers are accurate, but it's a pretty sorry state of affairs.

To be honest if you're that hard up you should be able to require parents to contribute, what, a pound a day to cover a decent meal, prepared in volume? Didn't Jamie Oliver do that at some point?
Reply 38
Original post by anarchism101
Maybe it's a religious or moral reason rather than a health one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Religious reasons should not have higher precedence. If he wants sharia laws (I suspect he is Muslim), I hear Syria is nice this time of year
Reply 39
lol really? That's incredible. Do you have a source?

I mean I guess they might have a point if those numbers are accurate, but it's a pretty sorry state of affairs.

To be honest if you're that hard up you should be able to require parents to contribute, what, a pound a day to cover a decent meal, prepared in volume? Didn't Jamie Oliver do that at some point?

Not a written source unfortunately, and it depends on the school (I think some universities pay more). However, at a top-end private boarding school, one of the dinner ladies told us when one of us asked (I was there, it wasn't Chinese whispers) that they spent £1.20 a day total per student, for a total of 3 meals a day, plus a snack.

You could tell when they'd upped the budget (mainly when parents were visiting and eating, maybe the odd special occasion). If you're curious, look up Sodexho/Sodexo for some more concrete figures on just how little plenty of schools spend on food. And the food wasn't actually too bad for 40p a day (though the vegetarian option almost always won hands down).
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending