The Student Room Group

Unit 5 Physics Edexcel A2 and Edexcel IAL

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PhysicsIP2016
20160421_175222.jpg
Here we go! I hope it helps (had to add some filters to the picture to make the writing sharper #mucharty) @Ayman! @physicsmaths

Cheers!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1461260099.858111.jpg
Lol, I don't want this examiner marking my paper...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've seen far worse in aqa. One year they asked what the pros and cons of turning a pc off were lol
Reply 42
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
I only had a 'B' at GCSE maths and my college wouldn't allow me to do it, which goes to show how much GCSEs show a person ability. :facepalm: I'm going to self-teach FM (FP1-3, M2) over the summer so I ease the transition and don't find myself behind on day 1.

Lol, a B at GCSE and A* at A-level is gonna look pretty cool, ngl. B|

Damn, you lucky git :lol: only a 'c' for a 'A' overall. :tongue:
Yeah, to get the A* you actually have to :work: for it but in a way you might aswell just for the record
of saying +1 more A*. :biggrin:

Lucky yes, but I'm going for the so I'm not gonna slack off - I'll be pretty disappointed if I don't do well in A2 Physics.

I have a feeling you might want to eat those words when you start university :laugh:
How come you don't do STEP from what I assume? What about doing it just as a challenge if it isn't
apart of your university offer? :lol:

Ooo yes, I imagine it'll make me rip my hair out. :redface:

I would have loved to sit STEP, but I only found out like last month that there's a centre here. I would have definitely done it if I could have if I knew about it before! I'm planning to do it for fun sometime in the near future though :biggrin:

Original post by Joshthemathmo
Signing in, is this everyone's last exam?

Yeps, after an FP3-S2 clash. :afraid:
Original post by Ayman!

Yeps, after an FP3-S2 clash. :afraid:

I hate life - FP3 + S2 doesn't total to over 3 hours, therefore we shall be sitting one after the other! Is that how it is for you?
Reply 44
I hate life - FP3 + S2 doesn't total to over 3 hours, therefore we shall be sitting one after the other! Is that how it is for you?

Ah yes, I think so. I think S2 goes first because more people take that which is what I prefer actually 'cause FP3 might mind**** me and I don't want to worry about S2 boundaries after that. :lol: There'd probably be like a 10-15 minute break just to let the S2-ers leave the examination centre.
Original post by Ayman!
Ah yes, I think so. I think S2 goes first because more people take that which is what I prefer actually 'cause FP3 might mind**** me and I don't want to worry about S2 boundaries after that. :lol: There'd probably be like a 10-15 minute break just to let the S2-ers leave the examination centre.

Hopefully - going to need all the time to prepare for what is likely to be a horrid exam! :s-smilie: Hoping to do well enough in S2 that it will counteract the effects of the FP3 exam and I won't need to do so well in it? XD Have you finished learning FP3?
Original post by Ayman!

We had thros last year. We had a choice the FM people I chose FP3 first.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ayman!
Lol, a B at GCSE and A* at A-level is gonna look pretty cool, ngl. B|

Lucky yes, but I'm going for the so I'm not gonna slack off - I'll be pretty disappointed if I don't do well in A2 Physics.

Ooo yes, I imagine it'll make me rip my hair out. :redface:

I would have loved to sit STEP, but I only found out like last month that there's a centre here. I would have definitely done it if I could have if I knew about it before! I'm planning to do it for fun sometime in the near future though :biggrin:

Yeah it will but I care more about the journey :lol:
You should definitely bag the A* in A2 Physics just keep grinding and
let your :work: do the talking. :smile:

You can always just look through the material over the summer
and sit couple past papers :lol; I would but I've got FM to self-teach :frown:
Lol the A* in IAL Physics looks so hard it is ****ed up Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Hopefully - going to need all the time to prepare for what is likely to be a horrid exam! :s-smilie: Hoping to do well enough in S2 that it will counteract the effects of the FP3 exam and I won't need to do so well in it? XD Have you finished learning FP3?

Haha I don't think a 10 minute break would help that much. :lol:

I've finished self-teaching it, yes. Personally I'm comfortable with it but my conic sections needs a little work. Matrices and vectors seem straightforward enough as well as integration. Hopefully I'll be able to spot any reduction formula tricks xD

We had thros last year. We had a choice the FM people I chose FP3 first.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lucky! We don't get a choice because I'm going to be sitting S2 with around 250 more people (it's a very popular straight maths unit).

Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Yeah it will but I care more about the journey :lol:
You should definitely bag the A* in A2 Physics just keep grinding and
let your :work: do the talking. :smile:

You can always just look through the material over the summer
and sit couple past papers :lol; I would but I've got FM to self-teach :frown:

And what a journey it must have been! I know mate, I'm currently brushing up on U6 'cause that goes first. :yep:

I'll also be doing parts of M4 M5 this summer to transition better xD
Reply 50
Lol the A* in IAL Physics looks so hard it is ****ed up Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How's it different from the regular A-level mate? IAL has nicer boundaries I think
Original post by Ayman!
How's it different from the regular A-level mate? IAL has nicer boundaries I think

****ing harder haha.
Also IAL has higher boundaries other then 2015! 3/4 papers have had some of the highest boundaries yet!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why is it in Nuclear Fission that overall there is a loss in mass?
I thought if after they are split into its nucleons it would be greater?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53

Nah, you need to do work against the strong force for the nucleons to split apart, this work requires energy to be taken from the mass of the nucelons and converted to energy, hence the mass is smaller as part of it has been converted to energy.
Original post by Zacken
Nah, you need to do work against the strong force for the nucleons to split apart, this work requires energy to be taken from the mass of the nucelons and converted to energy, hence the mass is smaller as part of it has been converted to energy.

Hmm, oh ok that makes sense for some reason I thought neutrons were fired at the nucleus. I am retarded though so i make up my own principles sometimes.
But my book talks about how binding energy per nucleon has increased hence loss in mass. But I don't think that conclusion is valid since it is vague as in fusion the same conclusion is made from a decrease in binding energy per nucleon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm, oh ok that makes sense for some reason I thought neutrons were fired at the nucleus. I am retarded though so i make up my own principles sometimes.
But my book talks about how binding energy per nucleon has increased hence loss in mass. But I don't think that conclusion is valid since it is vague as in fusion the same conclusion is made from a decrease in binding energy per nucleon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

gc6.30.f.01.mod.gif
I feel like your book may be wrong - both fission and fusion result in an increase in bepn. Particles will always try to go to a 'more stable' state which will always be a nucleus with a higher value for binding energy per nucleon - for low mass particles fusion causes this, while for more massive nuclei, fission does this. The most stable is iron, I think, which is why its creation triggers a supernova in stars, as fusing iron nuclei together decreases binding energy per nucleon and creates less stable nuclei.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 56

Posted from TSR Mobile

The mass deficit occurs as a small amount of energy is converted to Binding Energy to hold nucleons of a nucleus together.
I think you're right when you say that mass of nucleons is greater than the mass of the nucleus... BUT nuclear fission doesn't produce nucleons.. It just forms lighter nuclei eg: U-235+ n --> Kr-92+ Ba-142 + 2n
Hope that's right^
Reply 57
Any tips for unit 6 guys? Around two weeks left im nervous!
Does anyone have the "Edexcel approved" wavelengths to memorise? I can't find any and the ones I currently remember a bit too vague to score the marks.
Reply 59
Original post by 16characterlimit
Does anyone have the "Edexcel approved" wavelengths to memorise? I can't find any and the ones I currently remember a bit too vague to score the marks.

good question... I wanna know too!
But from the past papers I did, the required wavelengths were to know visible light is between 400-700 nm and anything with greater wavelength is IR and with smaller wavelength is UV.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending