The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by glebp
The capacity for an animal to feel pain or suffering is pretty much minimal.

You cant just come on a thread, talk complete bs like its a fact, and then leave.

The capacity for an animal to feel pain or suffering is minimal? Get out of here you ****wit.
Original post by greatguy 550
You could easily ask why does human suffering matter.

Go ahead answer that sunshine.

We have to start from some axiom, and I take it as my axiom that the suffering of some humans matters. I cannot find a rational distinction between those humans and all other humans, therefore the suffering of all humans matters.

However, it is a legitimate point of view to say that human suffering does not matter.
moral issues aside it is very expensive to put a man to death, far more expensive than life in jail. For that reason alone id rather spend the saved money on good people than wasting it on retribution.. even if they do deserve it in many cases.
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
Yes, and the suffering of your dog matters because it causes human suffering.

Animal suffering is more important to me. My dogs suffering is more important than my own.
We have to start from some axiom, and I take it as my axiom that the suffering of some humans matters. I cannot find a rational distinction between those humans and all other humans, therefore the suffering of all humans matters.

However, it is a legitimate point of view to say that human suffering does not matter.

Others can find the distinction between some humans mattering and others not.
Original post by BlackHorseRoad
Animal suffering is more important to me. My dogs suffering is more important than my own.

Okay, but what reflection does that have on the content of morality?
Original post by AverageExcellence
moral issues aside it is very expensive to put a man to death, far more expensive than life in jail. For that reason alone id rather spend the saved money on good people than wasting it on retribution.. even if they do deserve it in many cases.

Yeah with any luck they'll be gunned down in the street on their way home from prison.
Okay, but what reflection does that have on the content of morality?

You can't pin point anything.
Original post by Omen96
I have no issue with evil scum being killed, honestly guys, not one part of my heart dies, I don't cry myself to sleep, I don't feel the loss of a human life, it does not touch me in the soul, I don't expect you guys to understand.

Fair enough if that's your opinion.
Reply 189
Original post by Matrix123
Fair enough if that's your opinion.

It is, I rejoice when evil people are given a one way ticket to the after life, I don't care what that makes me, all I know is, there is one less evil person walking the streets under the guise of so called liberal "rehabilitation"
Original post by Omen96
It is, I rejoice when evil people are given a one way ticket to the after life, I don't care what that makes me, all I know is, there is one less evil person walking the streets under the guise of so called liberal "rehabilitation"

I admire the strength behind your opinions but on this matter I think we can agree to disagree :wink:
Original post by Implication
So in what sense do they deserve punishment? Saying that you personally want them to be punished isn't really the same thing!

Some people do deserve to be punished and that punishment needs to be for the reminder of life. Nielson, Donald Forbes, Sutcliffe, the moors murderers, the Wests, the soham killers. Are you seriously suggesting there should be no punishment for their crimes? These monstrous types are beyond rehabilitation.
If there is no punishment (deterrent for anti-social/criminality) then social structures will eventually disintegrate. While some cultures esp Nordic and Scandinavian ones put great emphasis on rehabilitation they still punish individuals for criminality. There has to be a balance. They just don't chuck people in prison for crimes that tend to be caused by desperation like shoplifting where poverty is a factor while in the uk the lower down the social ladder offenders are the more likely they are to go to jail.
Original post by MockingJay-
What's your verdict? Is it right to kill someone for killing somebody?

Yes! Absoloutely if all the evidence is conclusive and beyond doubt CCTV / DNA / Confession etc
Original post by ozzyoscy

A kidnapper doesn't necessarily permanently deprive their victim of freedom. Would you like to be kidnapped?

Please avoid using internet argument catchphrases and tactics such as 'clearly you don't understand' to someone saying something different to you. By that logic anyway there is equal chance you don't understand and I do (even though no one on the internet is ever wrong themselves).

What are you on about? I was referring to a specific part of the mens rea for theft.

There is no possibility that I don't understand and you do. I was talking about theft, I can verify what I said with statute

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Yes! Absoloutely if all the evidence is conclusive and beyond doubt CCTV / DNA / Confession etc

There can never be evidence beyond all doubt

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
There is no possibility that I don't understand and you do.

Ah good old internet.
Original post by greatguy 550
You cant just come on a thread, talk complete bs like its a fact, and then leave.

The capacity for an animal to feel pain or suffering is minimal? Get out of here you ****wit.

3 of your family members in a room versus 3 goldfish in a fish bowl.

I killed one of your family members and a goldfish. (hypothetically speaking of course)

Who will experience more physical pain and more emotional trauma?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ozzyoscy
Ah good old internet.

I know what you mean. Full of people who have never studied a day of law in their lives arguing law with people who have training contracts at magic circle law firms
Original post by glebp
3 of your family members in a room versus 3 goldfish in a fish bowl.

I killed one of your family members and a goldfish. (hypothetically speaking of course)

Who will experience more physical pain and more emotional trauma?

Depends who the family member is. I have some ****ers in my family who I can't wait to see the back of and would pick my 13 year old goldfish over any day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DougallnDougall
Some people do deserve to be punished and that punishment needs to be for the reminder of life. Nielson, Donald Forbes, Sutcliffe, the moors murderers, the Wests, the soham killers. Are you seriously suggesting there should be no punishment for their crimes? These monstrous types are beyond rehabilitation.
If there is no punishment (deterrent for anti-social/criminality) then social structures will eventually disintegrate. While some cultures esp Nordic and Scandinavian ones put great emphasis on rehabilitation they still punish individuals for criminality. There has to be a balance. They just don't chuck people in prison for crimes that tend to be caused by desperation like shoplifting where poverty is a factor while in the uk the lower down the social ladder offenders are the more likely they are to go to jail.

Saying someone deserves to be punishment and saying that their punishment would serve some function (whatever that function may be) are two very different things. Lots of people have made claims about people 'deserving' to be killed or made to suffer, and I would like to know the justification for this.

Latest

Trending

Trending