The Student Room Group

Can we finally agree the Premier league isn't the best now?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
The second best side in Germany and the best side in France depart European competition at the hands of the PL. Stick that in your pipe.
Original post by Diego Costa
Who could Arsenal feasibly get that would do better than Wenger? I genuinely don't know.

That's the thing, we're nothing with Wenger and nothing without him either. If he stays, we get more of the same. If he goes, we're on the slide. Initially, the optimistic arsenal fans might think. But with a stingy board anyone who replaces Wenger is going to find it tough.

Btw first time in ten years England has two SF representatives in both European competitions. Well done :smile:
Reply 82
Original post by matthew2014
You may have a point there, but even so, especially this season he should have delivered more, people said he needed to buy and he didn't par 2 players; now Arsenal are out of everything.On top of that he hasn't got Arsenal into the quarter finals of champions league in 6 years now.I respect Wenger fully and appreciate his loyalty and still think he is a legend for his first 10 years of work but hes starting to tarnish his reputation and he needs to call it a day; that's coming from a life long Arsenal fan.

I pretty much agree with all of that. It depends on whom they are able to bring in as a replacement though. I'd love to see him turn it around as he's one of very few people in the game I respect as a person but the last two years in particular haven't been good enough.
Original post by Damien96
I pretty much agree with all of that. It depends on whom they are able to bring in as a replacement though. I'd love to see him turn it around as he's one of very few people in the game I respect as a person but the last two years in particular haven't been good enough.
I disagree to a slight extent about last year, yea Arsenal weren't great in Champions League but came 3rd in prem and won an FA cup
Still think Premier League gives us the most enjoyable football to watch no doubt
Reply 85
In terms of enjoyment this season, the PL eclipses everything.

Bundesliga is redundant, aside from Bayern and Dortmund. Weirdly, I think the latter would have definitely been the best side over the course of 38 games in the PL this season. They'd have ended up champions, but it's a two-horse race in Germany and Bayern are much better than Dortmund in truth.

Ligue I is a joke, La Liga has been given life over the past couple of weeks but there remains such a disparity between the top three and the rest of the league, and there's no point discussing Serie A because the race for 3rd/4th is more interesting than the title, because it has been a procession for Juve since Napoli saw Higuain get suspended.
Original post by Mackay
In terms of enjoyment this season, the PL eclipses everything.

Bundesliga is redundant, aside from Bayern and Dortmund. Weirdly, I think the latter would have definitely been the best side over the course of 38 games in the PL this season. They'd have ended up champions, but it's a two-horse race in Germany and Bayern are much better than Dortmund in truth.

Ligue I is a joke, La Liga has been given life over the past couple of weeks but there remains such a disparity between the top three and the rest of the league, and there's no point discussing Serie A because the race for 3rd/4th is more interesting than the title, because it has been a procession for Juve since Napoli saw Higuain get suspended.

The next few years should see an evening of the playing field a bit in La Liga. They've now got a collective TV deal like the Premier League whereas before the clubs negotiated their deals separately which favoured Barca and Real immensely.

I agree about the Bundesliga. Apart from Dortmund and Bayern the rest would struggle to get into the top half of the Premier League but Bayern would be favourites to win it.
Reply 87
Original post by JamesN88

I agree about the Bundesliga. Apart from Dortmund and Bayern the rest would struggle to get into the top half of the Premier League but Bayern would be favourites to win it.

20 points separating second from third in the Bundesliga. I mean, Wolfsburg/Leverkusen are two good sides. The disparity shouldn't be that large.
Original post by Mackay
20 points separating second from third in the Bundesliga. I mean, Wolfsburg/Leverkusen are two good sides. The disparity shouldn't be that large.

The French league would be a lot more credible if Lyon were still at the level they were a few years ago.
Reply 89
Original post by JamesN88
The French league would be a lot more credible if Lyon were still at the level they were a few years ago.

See that mad statistic in February? The gap between PSG in first and Monaco in second was BIGGER than the gap between Monaco and the team in bottom place.

It's changed now, but that is remarkable.
Original post by Mackay
See that mad statistic in February? The gap between PSG in first and Monaco in second was BIGGER than the gap between Monaco and the team in bottom place.

It's changed now, but that is remarkable.

I've just looked it up, that's mental. Even now there's 28 between 1st and 2nd and 24 between 2nd and 18th. It's like Man Utd joining the Championship for a season just for a laugh.
Reply 91
Original post by Mackay
The second best side in Germany and the best side in France depart European competition at the hands of the PL. Stick that in your pipe.

Thankfully I don't smoke :biggrin: I am not saying we are the worst, I am saying with the money in the league we should be much much better and pointing out specific results doesn't disprove my point.
Thankfully I don't smoke :biggrin: I am not saying we are the worst, I am saying with the money in the league we should be much much better and pointing out specific results doesn't disprove my point.

The money should make the premier league more competitive. When you consider that even mid-table teams like Newcastle, West Ham, Everton etc next season will have revenues higher than the likes of Atletico, Roma, Inter, Schalke, Galatasary etc - you wouldn't be surprised if those teams beat the top English teams in Europe so why be surprised if the bottom/mid-table clubs trouble the top teams?

I think you'll start to see English clubs dominate the Europa League as every team starts seeing it as the 5th CL spot. The squad quality and depth is only improving at English clubs.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 93
Original post by Zerforax
The money should make the premier league more competitive. When you consider that even mid-table teams like Newcastle, West Ham, Everton etc next season will have revenues higher than the likes of Atletico, Roma, Inter, Schalke, Galatasary etc - you wouldn't be surprised if those teams beat the top English teams in Europe so why be surprised if the bottom/mid-table clubs trouble the top teams?

I think you'll start to see English clubs dominate the Europa League as every team starts seeing it as the 5th CL spot. The squad quality and depth is only improving at English clubs.

I would have assumed that would have happened already but I think you are right. It can't keep being so poor with the talent in the league.
I would have assumed that would have happened already but I think you are right. It can't keep being so poor with the talent in the league.

I think with the league being so competitive, it's meant regularly that teams have forsaken the Europa League to focus on the Premier League.

You look at someone like Sevilla:

5th
5th
9th
9th
5th

in the past 5 years. They know they're not going to break the top 4 so they focus on the EL towards the second half of the season. I think we'll see teams like West Ham start doing this. At the moment there is always enough carrot to try and catch 4th place so teams give up on EL. Look at Liverpool this year, we're not miles off 4th but we'll focus on the EL now since we know that gets a CL spot too.
Reply 95
I think with the league being so competitive, it's meant regularly that teams have forsaken the Europa League to focus on the Premier League.

You look at someone like Sevilla:

5th
5th
9th
9th
5th

in the past 5 years. They know they're not going to break the top 4 so they focus on the EL towards the second half of the season. I think we'll see teams like West Ham start doing this. At the moment there is always enough carrot to try and catch 4th place so teams give up on EL. Look at Liverpool this year, we're not miles off 4th but we'll focus on the EL now since we know that gets a CL spot too.

Yeah I agree. I've been calling for the EL to include a ECL spot for the winners for ages. If they cut down the number of teams and get rid of the pointless group stage it will finally be worth watching.
Look at Liverpool this year, we're not miles off 4th but we'll focus on the EL now since we know that gets a CL spot too.

I was surprised last year Rodgers didn't see the EL as a route to get a CL spot after they exited the group stages. It would have been a trophy and a CL spot but he never seemed that interested hence their exit to Besiktas. Klopp sees its value.

Quick Reply

Latest