Who will you vote for?

Who will you be voting for?

My vote goes to Saidq Khan

Scroll to see replies

Sian Berry, the Green candidate.
Original post by Frank Underwood
Who will you be voting for?

My vote goes to Saidq Khan

Why him over zac? serious question just want to find out more on peoples opinions of the 2 candidates.
Original post by Sebastian Bartlett
Why him over zac? serious question just want to find out more on peoples opinions of the 2 candidates.

Goldsmith is not a strong candidate. He doesn't seem like he's got a personality like Boris did and seems more like the type of Tory lap-dog that'd be easier to control by the Conservative leadership.

He also claimed he ran a "nothing but positive campaign", to which the whole room laughed at during the debate yesterday. The vast majority of his campaign has been targeted at Sadiq Khan and Corbyn, for example him being a threat to national security, not freezing mayoral tax etc.

He also has some policies that are stupid and/or won't be implemented. He claims he will freeze mayoral tax, while Khan said he will do his best to keep it down but he can't make promises he can't keep. He also said he will set up more 'innovative' public transport systems like Crossrail, which is nothing more than a slogan: He's never mentioned any actual propositions like where these new trains would go, and is just stupid considering Crossrail still won't be finished until 2020. It's nothing more than an idealistic slogan to attract support.

Sadiq Khan seems like he's got a real personality which many people like. He's definitely got a sense of humour, cracking a few jokes during the debate and I remember him being on Have I Got News For You. He also seems smart and principled and can back his policies with fact and logic.
Original post by DMcGovern
Goldsmith is not a strong candidate. He doesn't seem like he's got a personality like Boris did and seems more like the type of Tory lap-dog that'd be easier to control by the Conservative leadership.

He also claimed he ran a "nothing but positive campaign", to which the whole room laughed at during the debate yesterday. The vast majority of his campaign has been targeted at Sadiq Khan and Corbyn, for example him being a threat to national security, not freezing mayoral tax etc.

He also has some policies that are stupid and/or won't be implemented. He claims he will freeze mayoral tax, while Khan said he will do his best to keep it down but he can't make promises he can't keep. He also said he will set up more 'innovative' public transport systems like Crossrail, which is nothing more than a slogan: He's never mentioned any actual propositions like where these new trains would go, and is just stupid considering Crossrail still won't be finished until 2020. It's nothing more than an idealistic slogan to attract support.

Sadiq Khan seems like he's got a real personality which many people like. He's definitely got a sense of humour, cracking a few jokes during the debate and I remember him being on Have I Got News For You. He also seems smart and principled and can back his policies with fact and logic.

Crossrail 2 is also backed by Sadiq.

Zac's housing policy isn't as radical as Sadiq's but it's more likely that it'll be done.

Sadiq is no doubt the stronger candidate and to be honest with you, I'm rather left in a pickle here.
Original post by Lime-man
Crossrail 2 is also backed by Sadiq.

Zac's housing policy isn't as radical as Sadiq's but it's more likely that it'll be done.

Sadiq is no doubt the stronger candidate and to be honest with you, I'm rather left in a pickle here.

They really could have chosen a better candidate. He just seems vain and an anachronism compared to Sadiq Khan - a white, middle-aged upper class Englishman compared to the first Muslim MP.
Goldsmith wasn't even able to pretend to do 'average family man' role that usually gets votes, those bits he mentioned about his new baby just seemed scripted.
If I could vote, I'd vote Zac Goldsmith.

They really could have chosen a better candidate. He just seems vain and an anachronism compared to Sadiq Khan - a white, middle-aged upper class Englishman compared to the first Muslim MP.
Goldsmith wasn't even able to pretend to do 'average family man' role that usually gets votes, those bits he mentioned about his new baby just seemed scripted.

Pointing out that Zac is middle-class, middle-aged and white is not a just arguement. It should have no influence on your decision to support either. Supporting Khan because he was the first Muslim MP and may be the first Muslim Mayor is pretty disgusting IMO.
@Frank Underwood you might want to include George Galloway in the poll, he's third in the race.
Original post by popcornjpg
If I could vote, I'd vote Zac Goldsmith.

Pointing out that Zac is middle-class, middle-aged and white is not a just arguement. It should have no influence on your decision to support either. Supporting Khan because he was the first Muslim MP and may be the first Muslim Mayor is pretty disgusting IMO.

I'm not saying it's an argument, I'm pointing out that he does not represent modern London like Sadiq Khan does. The demographic Goldsmith seems to represent is anachronistic.

I understand how that'd be a stupid idea to vote for someone just because he is a Muslim but I don't see how it's disgusting.

If you look at my earlier comment I mention in detail why Khan is a better candidate than Goldsmith. A well-known TSR Tory Lime-man just conceded that Goldsmith was a terrible candidate for the Conservatives.
Reply 9
Sadiq Khan all day every day. I voted Green in the general election last year but they have no chance of winning the mayoral election so would be a wasted vote.
I'm not saying it's an argument, I'm pointing out that he does not represent modern London like Sadiq Khan does. The demographic Goldsmith seems to represent is anachronistic.

I understand how that'd be a stupid idea to vote for someone just because he is a Muslim but I don't see how it's disgusting.

If you look at my earlier comment I mention in detail why Khan is a better candidate than Goldsmith. A well-known TSR Tory Lime-man just conceded that Goldsmith was a terrible candidate for the Conservatives.

Indeed. Goldsmiths campaign has been to portray Khan as an extremist or extremist sympathizer....because he's Muslim.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can't remember who I put as 1st choice but my 2nd choice was Sadiq Khan.
Goldsmith still at it. Claiming Khan is not fit to be Mayor because of non existent links with Islamic extremists. This has been a dirty, dog whistling campaign by Goldsmith designed to whip up religious tensions and use the fact that Safiq is a Muslim to link him to extremism.

The great irony of course being Sadiq has done far more to tackle Islamic extremism than goldsmith.
Original post by Bornblue
Indeed. Goldsmiths campaign has been to portray Khan as an extremist or extremist sympathizer....because he's Muslim.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lynton Crosby is behind it apparently - he's still being paid a fat fee by the Tories to come up with dirty election smears, the only way the Conservatives have of winning these days. Of course it's working, because it's difficult for Khan to get across to the electorate the complexities of his role as a defence lawyer and as a politician of Muslim background in London.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Lynton Crosby is behind it apparently - he's still being paid a fat fee by the Tories to come up with dirty election smears, the only way the Conservatives have of winning these days. Of course it's working, because it's difficult for Khan to get across to the electorate the complexities of his role as a defence lawyer and as a politician of Muslim background in London.

It's the dead cat tactic which he's so famous for.
I don't think it will work this time though because generally London is far more left wing and multicultural and pro Labour than the country as a whole.

I've seen some dirty elections but this takes the prize, goldsmith has been deliberately trying to link Khan to extremism and radicalism and hoping enough of the electorate make the Muslim = extremist connection.

And which Khan as willingly turned to his advantage.
Original post by Aceadria
And which Khan as willingly turned to his advantage.

When you are regularly accused of being an extremist or extremist sympathiser for your religion it's only fair you should get to defend yourself by showing how you've fought Muslim extremism within your own religion.

Goldsmith has played they 'you're a Muslim so you probably support extremists' and Khan has responded by showing how that's not true.

Again Goldsmith is 100% responsible for brining religion into this contest.
It's the dead cat tactic which he's so famous for.
I don't think it will work this time though because generally London is far more left wing and multicultural and pro Labour than the country as a whole.

I've seen some dirty elections but this takes the prize, goldsmith has been deliberately trying to link Khan to extremism and radicalism and hoping enough of the electorate make the Muslim = extremist connection.

Inner London is very multicultural. The suburbs aren't, they are either uniformly white, or, in some cases, uniformly non-Muslim Asian. The attempt here is to mobilise the white suburbs and try and get them to repeat the act they did when they put Boris in and also to stir up the internal divides within groups who come from the subcontinent. That's why Goldsmith has been heavily lobbying the Sikh and Hindu voters in Southall, Ealing, Uxbridge, Wembley and Edgware.
When you are regularly accused of being an extremist or extremist sympathiser for your religion it's only fair you should get to defend yourself by showing how you've fought Muslim extremism within your own religion.

Goldsmith has played they 'you're a Muslim so you probably support extremists' and Khan has responded by showing how that's not true.

Again Goldsmith is 100% responsible for brining religion into this contest.

I'm not denying your statement but as I mentioned in another thread, it's important we don't forget that Sadiq Khan also used religion as a political strategy to gain votes: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jul/02/a-muslim-mayor-of-london-would-send-message-to-the-haters-says-sadiq-khan

It's reckless to fall into this game of pointing the finger at the other person; the person who is elected Mayor will have an important role to play in leading one of the world's leading cities.
Not bothered who wins, I like them both lol zacs been a **** by trying to portray Hindu/Sikh/Buddhist/Christian vs Muslims in this tho
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending