The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Leeds University Accommodation

Scroll to see replies

hi my namee is mark and my x used to work in international advisory part of the uni oppersite the clock tower and stairs. anyway if anyone who wouldent mind travling 25mins to uni on a morn i have a flat which could easy accomadate 3-5 people.plus i think £120-£180 a week per person is a scam .say 5 moved in here i would expect no more then £ 450 for all of u. that would also cover any bills and i would get you transport to take you to leeds uni safely on a morn
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Hi everyone. I'll be going to the accommodation open day, but does anyone have any advice on halls for a nursing student? Also I'll be 27 so any chance of being with others around the same age? 🙈

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tracijune
Hi everyone. I'll be going to the accommodation open day, but does anyone have any advice on halls for a nursing student? Also I'll be 27 so any chance of being with others around the same age? 🙈

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey there, going to sound kinda biased as I live in Sentinel Towers. But the Tannery and Sentinel Towers tend to be a popular choice for nursing students. It's unlikely you'll be able to specify that you would like to live with older students, but if you would possibly like to meet some more 'mature' students, Sentinel also offers postgrad accommodation (Block A, undergrads are usually block B). So during the first few weeks you might be able to make friends with some students around your own age that you could maybe go for a cup of tea in their apartments :tongue:
But as an undergrad you will likely be with a mix of ages.
Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy
Hey there, going to sound kinda biased as I live in Sentinel Towers. But the Tannery and Sentinel Towers tend to be a popular choice for nursing students. It's unlikely you'll be able to specify that you would like to live with older students, but if you would possibly like to meet some more 'mature' students, Sentinel also offers postgrad accommodation (Block A, undergrads are usually block B). So during the first few weeks you might be able to make friends with some students around your own age that you could maybe go for a cup of tea in their apartments :tongue:
But as an undergrad you will likely be with a mix of ages.

Thank you so much for the advice. I emailed accommodation to ask which the best halls were for nursing students and they didn't mention Sentinel, I'll have a look into that. I'm quite "young" for my age so it's not a huge deal, just don't want to be seen as the grandma of the flat hahaha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tracijune
Thank you so much for the advice. I emailed accommodation to ask which the best halls were for nursing students and they didn't mention Sentinel, I'll have a look into that. I'm quite "young" for my age so it's not a huge deal, just don't want to be seen as the grandma of the flat hahaha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi!
we normally have a few slightly older students doing healthcare courses (nursing, radiography, midwifery, social work). Last year, of 277 first year healthcare students in residence, 6 were over 25, a further 10 were 23-25 and lots more over 20. So plenty of people to live with :smile:. And it's likely that there will be lots more of a similar age to you on the course but who aren't in accommodation.

Sian
Accommodation Office
Reply 245
Original post by paiges
Yeah I actually visited Leeds like three weeks ago and walked to Lupton and didn't find it too bad. I like walking places anyway and I think it's worth the price and the location!

Yeah I am the same! That is very true, small price to pay to pay so little
Originally I applied to CV but changed to Devonshire for catered, really hoping to go there because of all the social activities, facilities and location. Now, I have a question, because I'm not sure if I have filled out the form right. It asks if I prefer 'quiet' accommodation or not, and I'm not sure if by quiet it means unsocial or it means quiet as in no noise at night, or nothing overly noisy (which would be fine by me)? If I put 'no' to wanting quiet will this stop me getting placed in Devonshire? Also does anyone know if the Devonshire flats are mixed gender or separate? So confused about these questions :s-smilie:
Reply 247
Hi, I've applied for central village but heard it is very popular and am worried about whether I'll get it. I also really like Leodis but there's no option for a 2nd/3rd choice. Every other uni has this option, would an email to Leeds accommodation with my other preferences be considered? Thanks
Original post by gate26
Hi, I've applied for central village but heard it is very popular and am worried about whether I'll get it. I also really like Leodis but there's no option for a 2nd/3rd choice. Every other uni has this option, would an email to Leeds accommodation with my other preferences be considered? Thanks

Unless you have a medical reason or very strong case for needing to be at one of those accommodations I think it will just be given a polite 'sorry this is our system'. Otherwise everyone would email them in the hope and it would make allocating the rooms even harder!
Reply 249
Is room allocation randomised,like if my and my friends sent the form at the same tike and we all got the same accommodation, would we get rooms next to eachother
Original post by kudagee
Is room allocation randomised,like if my and my friends sent the form at the same tike and we all got the same accommodation, would we get rooms next to eachother

Other universities have the option to request living with certain students, maybe email Leeds to see if you can do that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kudagee

It's totally random. They wait until everyone has applied and then have a massive logistical job of sorting people into their first choice where possible, and then elsewhere based on their preferences. I guess if it was really important to you, you could ask if they would consider putting you in the same flat, but there are no guarantees. Also please please bear in mind that anyone I have ever spoken to has said DO NOT LIVE WITH YOUR FRIENDS. You might love them and think they are fantastic, but then being with them pretty much 24/7 might make you realise you aren't as close as you thought, or you might fall out over something silly. You'll be able to see each other plenty on your course/on campus. Being in the same accommodation is more than enough! Then you can visit each other, but can go back to your own flats when you want a break!

Also living with your friends means you have less of a chance to meet new people, and new friends!
Reply 252
That was so helpful thank you
Hi guys, so I'm considering Henry price, James baillie or Devonshire for starting in September 2016. If anyone can compare any of these three too each other (pros and cons) that would be super helpful! Also I read somewhere that the bathrooms in Henry Price are not great because the showers aren't good and they aren't even somewhat soundproof so if you are in your room and the person you share with is in the bathroom you can hear everything they do, is this true?
Is Central Village close to the Business School?

Close - so I don't feel like I am rushing or dreading the walk in the morning for a lecture
Original post by NatalieEXE
Is Central Village close to the Business School?

Close - so I don't feel like I am rushing or dreading the walk in the morning for a lecture

Not really. I mean its 0.6 miles away (opposite side of campus to the business school) so it's six and two threes really between somewhere like that or Sentinel Towers/ The Tannery. But it's not like a massively long walk, about 10/15 minutes or so. But most your lectures won't actually be in Maurice Keyworth (the business school building) just your seminars. Your lectures are likely to be in Rupert beckett lecture theatre, the conference auditorium and Roger Stevens. These are all a bit closer to CV :smile:
Original post by Undecided00001
Hi guys, so I'm considering Henry price, James baillie or Devonshire for starting in September 2016. If anyone can compare any of these three too each other (pros and cons) that would be super helpful! Also I read somewhere that the bathrooms in Henry Price are not great because the showers aren't good and they aren't even somewhat soundproof so if you are in your room and the person you share with is in the bathroom you can hear everything they do, is this true?

You fussy on bathrooms? Because the three are very different in that regards

James Baillie- Mainly en-suite, off campus, close-ish to Devonshire. Not really too sure about it other than that, never really heard anything from anyone who lives there.

Devonshire- Mainly shared bathrooms, again off campus. It's known for having lots of socials and activities going on, though the dinners and stuff are obviously aimed at catered students living there.

Henry Price- On campus. Opposite the business school basically. Never heard anyone complain about the bathrooms too much, but when I went to visit, it is basically a door separating you from the person using the bathroom. So I really don't know. Though that being said, the bathroom where I am is amazingly sound proofed. To the point when the upstairs neighbours are having a flat I hide in there to get some peace :tongue: Oh and so well sound proofed the maintenance man walked in on me in the bathroom because I hadn't heard him knock on my main bedroom door -_-
Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy
You fussy on bathrooms? Because the three are very different in that regards

James Baillie- Mainly en-suite, off campus, close-ish to Devonshire. Not really too sure about it other than that, never really heard anything from anyone who lives there.

Devonshire- Mainly shared bathrooms, again off campus. It's known for having lots of socials and activities going on, though the dinners and stuff are obviously aimed at catered students living there.

Henry Price- On campus. Opposite the business school basically. Never heard anyone complain about the bathrooms too much, but when I went to visit, it is basically a door separating you from the person using the bathroom. So I really don't know. Though that being said, the bathroom where I am is amazingly sound proofed. To the point when the upstairs neighbours are having a flat I hide in there to get some peace :tongue: Oh and so well sound proofed the maintenance man walked in on me in the bathroom because I hadn't heard him knock on my main bedroom door -_-

Is the social stuff arranged at devonshire really only for catered students then? And how good is Henry price in terms of being on campus for social activities (e.g at the students union) and general convenience, as opposed to being near headingley, which I've heard is lots of fun?
Hey, I've made a table for myself to compare the self catered residences more easily so I thought I'd share it with you guys. You can add any more information you have to make it more useful!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wQa7zu2hIeQ8x1UooFi_UdjwGRjx0ShfJs6VUKngOm8/edit?usp=sharing
Hey guys I originally wanted to apply for Central Village but I am now considering The Tannery as it is slightly cheaper than CV and apparently closer to the business school. However from what it looks like central village is closer to the centre of the campus, and the Tannery is further out. Does anyone know what the social side is like in the Tannery as I am worried that because it's a bit farther out it may be less sociable and less people may go to events etc.?

Quick Reply

Latest