The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2160
Original post by AR_95
so that the asians find it!!!

You live on campus don't you.

Can I come over and borrow a bowl to put my phone in and cover it with rice?

Also can I use your phone
what @SA-1 will say he wants to borrow a phone for: oh you know contacting people and stuff.

what sa-1 really wants to borrow a phone for: TSR

:lol:
Disappointed about the extras on the Force Awakens DVD tbh
@sr90 thoughts on SolarWorks IPO?
Original post by SA-1
Really like the concept of narrative therapy in the context of brain injuries.

The idea that, while someone may have a problem, the problem also has them. In the case of a brain injury for example, it means that its residual effects can effectively take over their lives. Externalising this, seeing it as "a thief", "an intruder" etc means that it can be confronted and perhaps tackled.

@The Wavefunction @AliRizzo thoughts?

So therapy for curing physical injures? Are you suggesting that it can indeed, physically help the healing process, or just help the individual come over a mental barrier?

On the topic of the brain, I was reading a paper about Fluoride possibly being responsible for Alzheimer's, due to it allowing aluminium to reach the brain. Apparently it's quite a controversial topic, do you have any knowledge on it? Seems like an interesting debate.
Reply 2165
Original post by The Wavefunction
So therapy for curing physical injures? Are you suggesting that it can indeed, physically help the healing process, or just help the individual come over a mental barrier?

On the topic of the brain, I was reading a paper about Fluoride possibly being responsible for Alzheimer's, due to it allowing aluminium to reach the brain. Apparently it's quite a controversial topic, do you have any knowledge on it? Seems like an interesting debate.

Should have made it clear, not physical injuries following a brain injury.. more of the hidden injuries. So executive dysfunction, personality change, impulsiveness etc. Coping with things like that as a family member is so hard - so in family therapy, a psychologist might use narrative therapy and describe the brain injury as something external.. and speak about ways to tackle (essentially cope) it.

I haven't, no.. it does seem interesting though. There was a massive thing about the whooping cough vaccine being linked with brain damage, not sure if you remember. I do think they'll eventually need to do studies on it.. and to get definitive answers it'll take decades - which is mental because if true, **** knows how many people will be effected by it

Original post by AliRizzo
Sounds interesting, where can I read more about it? Nothing relevant came up on google.

Nah, its like really dug up research. It's quite an old study tbh

https://www.neuropsychonline.com/loni/jcrarchives/vol22/V22I2Morris.pdf
(edited 8 years ago)
Birdman's breakfast club interview :rofl:

Takes longer to get your starbucks order :rofl:
Reply 2167
Original post by The.Joker
Just had my telephone interview. Most of the questions I prepared for came up so I knew what to say. There was one question that I didn't prepare for but it was easy enough to answer. I was really nervous throughout and I know my voice sounded shaky. Hopefully I've done enough to get through to the next stage. 😁

Dont forget us when you've made it.
You can forget Luke tho.:wink:
Original post by SA-1
Should have made it clear, not physical injuries following a brain injury.. more of the hidden injuries. So executive dysfunction, personality change, impulsiveness etc. Coping with things like that as a family member is so hard - so in family therapy, a psychologist might use narrative therapy and describe the brain injury as something external.. and speak about ways to tackle (essentially cope) it.

I haven't, no.. it does seem interesting though. There was a massive thing about the whooping cough vaccine being linked with brain damage, not sure if you remember. I do think they'll eventually need to do studies on it.. and to get definitive answers it'll take decades - which is mental because if true, **** knows how many people will be effected by it
f

Haha! I was going to say, I was somewhat sceptical of talking curing a physical injury. Yeah, what you've described sounds interesting, is it practiced in today's medicine/therapy?

I too should've added something; the fluoride thing was controversial because they put fluoride in tap water.
I think that's the case with most things similar to that, all it takes is one study saying X causes Y and people jump on the band wagon, when in reality there is no conclusive evidence saying that it is true. I think that's one of the main problems with people in today's society, they'll believe anything they read without doing their own research and coming to their own conclusions.
Reply 2169
Original post by The Wavefunction
Haha! I was going to say, I was somewhat sceptical of talking curing a physical injury. Yeah, what you've described sounds interesting, is it practiced in today's medicine/therapy?

I too should've added something; the fluoride thing was controversial because they put fluoride in tap water.
I think that's the case with most things similar to that, all it takes is one study saying X causes Y and people jump on the band wagon, when in reality there is no conclusive evidence saying that it is true. I think that's one of the main problems with people in today's society, they'll believe anything they read without doing their own research and coming to their own conclusions.

Only some clinical psychologists do.. should be practiced more imo.

Idk I doubt thats true, because if that was the case then there would be a lot of brain injuries.. and there really aren't.

Yeah evidence-based practice is such an unknown area. Even for the published stuff out there, I'd say a massive number.. well over half is ********.

When I used to look at a paper, I'd read the abstract, the intro, the results and the discussion. I now realise that the study is only good when the methods section is valid - and there is so much scope to **** that up :lol:

Can spend so long reading a paper, and one thing would just make the whole thing invalid.
Original post by Rk2k14
Dont forget us when you've made it.
You can forget Luke tho.:wink:

Who really remembers Luke anyways? :biggrin:
Reply 2171
Who really remembers Luke anyways? :biggrin:

@zKlown does, thats his brother in law
Let's all laugh at Villa
Original post by SA-1
@zKlown does, thats his brother in law

Let us all take a moment and pray for @zKlown...
Reply 2174
Let us all take a moment and pray for @zKlown...

Some Da Gea reaction time there Joker..
Reply 2175
Purple Rain man:frown:
Original post by SA-1
Some Da Gea reaction time there Joker..

Pros of procrastination! I have a 4000 word essay due for this sunday which I'm avoiding rn
Reply 2177
Pros of procrastination! I have a 4000 word essay due for this sunday which I'm avoiding rn

I got a 3000 one due too!!
I'd rather get a 61 on an essay that I did the night before than 65 on an essay that I put a good few days/weeks into. All about expectations and satisfaction.

Latest