The Student Room Group

Can you become a nurse without going to uni?

I am currently working as a healthcare assistant and I am unsure of how I would likeep to progress my career!

Where I am at present I was told there would be development opportunities... I have done a Health and safety course but that's it and I am not confident anything more will happen, because other staff members have been waiting longer for opportunities and nothing has moved forward.

So I am looking for other HCA work... but I was wondering if it is ever possible to climb the ladder from HCA to nurse? I am not sure what the nhs has to offer or whether they have more development opportunities then private hospitals?

I am not even 100% sure I want to go fully into nursing but I am curious as to whether anyone has any experience/knowledge of this happening anywhere?

I have heard of theatre support workers being trained up to ODPs in the workplace but never HCAs too nurses!

Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You could do the assistant practitioner course which would take you up to band 4 on completion. Some trusts do fund this course or you may go college and do it as a 2 year foundation degree. Speak to your manager or training support at your hospital x
No.

If you want to be a nurse you need to study nursing at university. The same is true for ODPs, they've not trained them "on the job" for quite some time now.
Reply 3
Something like this....not doctor but nurse :smile:

Have you looked at the nursing open university course http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/q73
There is talk of bringing back some kind of on the job progression such as the old SENs but no idea when that will be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bubble87
There is talk of bringing back some kind of on the job progression such as the old SENs but no idea when that will be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's a consultation for an "associate nurse" role which doesn't sound that dissimilar to assistant practitioners, however if people want to become a registered nurse from that role they will still have to undertake university study to progress to being a registered nurse. It's not a role I agree with, it'll lead to a dilution of registered nurse numbers and be used for ward nursing on the cheap. The way to ensure patients get an adequate level of safe nursing care on the wards is simple, more registered nurses, but no one wants to pay for that.
and any 'on the job' move will just be a case of expanding secondments or the OU model of pre-reg ...

it is impossible to get registration in the UK as a New entrant without an honours degree in Nursing that meets the NMCs requirements ... end of .
I completely agree with you guys as far as it being a way of increasing staffing on the cheap. It's a bit like the ridiculous physicians associates roles they introduced, not that they made any financial sense!

I think wards may benefit from having one or two, I actually think the band 4 lead HCA roles (as my old trust called them) were good as far HCA training was concerned and taking on some of the simpler nursing tasks and paperwork so nurses didn't have to stretch themselves so much and stay late. My partner isn't sure he wants to progress to registration but he'd love the extra responsible of a band 4 position. They just don't seem to come up any more, when one leaves they're replaced with a band 2 as they're cheaper.
I really want to do mental health nursing/occupational therapy/art therapy though I know I'm not prepared enough to do a degree in it. Instead I'm going to study Film Studies with Film Production as I'm passionate and skilled at it though I'm confident I don't want to be a filmmaker, which leaves my options wide open. Having a BA would help me work in therapy as it gives me a lot of communication skills and general working under pressure with different people etc, though I'm wondering if I applied to be a mental health nurse or similar they wouldn't hire me due to not having a degree in Nursing. I'm just going to do the degree anyway and do volunteer work experience in the meantime in the hopes I can get the skills I need to get a job- do you think this would be a possibility? My aunt is an OT so I can learn what I need through her
I have heard that you have to go uni to be a nurse but o don't understand why you can't be trained as you are already a HCA.
Original post by Blackstarr
I have heard that you have to go uni to be a nurse but o don't understand why you can't be trained as you are already a HCA.

HCAs can train to be nurses if they want to and they have the qualifications to successfully secure a place on a preregistration course in nursing at university. Some trusts even second their HCAs so they receive a salary rather than a bursary whilst training in return for them working occasionally through their training.
Original post by moonkatt
HCAs can train to be nurses if they want to and they have the qualifications to successfully secure a place on a preregistration course in nursing at university. Some trusts even second their HCAs so they receive a salary rather than a bursary whilst training in return for them working occasionally through their training.

I know someone who is a HCA but in college doing an access course to be a nurse. Accoring to hom, he did not have the qualifications to be nurse and needs to go uni.

But from what you say does that mean, instead of me going uni, can i become a HCA and then be upgraded to a nurse.

Assuming you just need to be trained with little qualifications to be a HCA?
Original post by angelkyary23
I really want to do mental health nursing/occupational therapy/art therapy though I know I'm not prepared enough to do a degree in it. Instead I'm going to study Film Studies with Film Production as I'm passionate and skilled at it though I'm confident I don't want to be a filmmaker, which leaves my options wide open. Having a BA would help me work in therapy as it gives me a lot of communication skills and general working under pressure with different people etc, though I'm wondering if I applied to be a mental health nurse or similar they wouldn't hire me due to not having a degree in Nursing. I'm just going to do the degree anyway and do volunteer work experience in the meantime in the hopes I can get the skills I need to get a job- do you think this would be a possibility? My aunt is an OT so I can learn what I need through her

You need to be registered with relevant body (NMC or HCPC) to gain any of those jobs and the only way to do that is to hold an appropriate degree. There are postgraduate 2yr course available though so you could go down that route after studying film.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know someone who is a HCA but in college doing an access course to be a nurse. Accoring to hom, he did not have the qualifications to be nurse and needs to go uni.

He is correct.

But from what you say does that mean, instead of me going uni, can i become a HCA and then be upgraded to a nurse.

I've not said anything like that, I have said that HCAs are able to train as nurses if they have the qualifications to go to university and study a preregistration programme in nursing: ie a degree (or postgrad course) in nursing. There is no other way to join the register as a nurse in this country currently. You have to go to university and complete a nursing course.

Assuming you just need to be trained with little qualifications to be a HCA?

A HCA is not a nurse, a HCA is someone who is trained in certain nursing tasks, they're usually trained on the job by their own NHS trusts. It's not a bad way to get into nursing, as you'll gain valuable experience as a HCA which will help an application and you'll gain some insight into what nurses do and the pressures they're under. You could even end up with your trust supporting you with applying for university and through your course.
Original post by angelkyary23

Unfortunately it isn't possible to become a nurse unless you hold a degree in nursing. As has been said above, it is one of the conditions for NMC registration, which you need to practice as a registered nurse.

If you really feel that this is what you want to do, you may be better off leaving the film course and applying for a nursing degree, to avoid building up unnecessary debt doing a degree which essentially isn't what you want to do. A degree in Film Studies wouldn't be considered relevant to nursing although you have developed transferable skills, and you therefore probably would not be a good candidate for the shortened postgrad nursing (compared to someone who has studied psychology, biology for example). All I can advise is that you look into nursing work experience and volunteering as soon as possible and consider applying for a nursing degree instead.
Original post by moonkatt
He is correct.

I've not said anything like that, I have said that HCAs are able to train as nurses if they have the qualifications to go to university and study a preregistration programme in nursing: ie a degree (or postgrad course) in nursing. There is no other way to join the register as a nurse in this country currently. You have to go to university and complete a nursing course.

A HCA is not a nurse, a HCA is someone who is trained in certain nursing tasks, they're usually trained on the job by their own NHS trusts. It's not a bad way to get into nursing, as you'll gain valuable experience as a HCA which will help an application and you'll gain some insight into what nurses do and the pressures they're under. You could even end up with your trust supporting you with applying for university and through your course.

Okay, thanks for the clarification
Thanks for this advice! I'm really conflicted now- I'm worried that this might be a temporary interest for wanting to be a Nurse and I'm not that good at science (B at GCSE) so I'm really stuck over what to do. Another problem is I'm finding it super hard to put across to my mum what I want to do because she thinks any degree is better than no degree and I should just do film and figure it out after. I'd happily work for a year and then apply for nursing but mum really doesn't want me to waste time. Help :frown:
Original post by charlotteee23
:frown:

Don't let your mum or anyone else tell you what to do and where to go etc.
It's your future and your career and these days a degree on its own is not better than no degree. The job market is full of graduates these days all competing for the same job. Thus, experience and qualifications need to go hand in hand to an extent.
Get some experience and see if you like the job. Talk to nurses, try and shadow them etc and see if it really is for you.
You don't have to decide what you want to do immediately.
Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by deviant182
Don't let your mum or anyone else tell you what to do and where to go etc.
It's your future and your career and these days a degree on its own is not better than no degree. The job market is full of graduates these days all competing for the same job. Thus, experience and qualifications need to go hand in hand to an extent.
Get some experience and see if you like the job. Talk to nurses, try and shadow them etc and see if it really is for you.
You don't have to decide what you want to do immediately.
Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you for all your advice!!! i spoke to my dad and i think i'm going to do the film degree anyway, see where that takes me and if i still want to do nursing, get work experience and then figure it out from there! even if i can't be a nurse i'm sure i can do something in healthcare or similar so i'm keeping my options open :smile: i'm ignoring mum completely though, i'm not listening to her for the next three years any decision i make is mine :') i have until august to make a final choice anyway but i think i'll still be happy with film, maybe end up working in the field who knows or i might end up in health anyway. i'll work it out! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending