The Student Room Group

Taking A level History AND Geography

I was thinking of doing history and geography but not sure whether i'd deal well with all the dates and events in history on top of remembering all the case studies in geography. If you took both, how did you find it and is it as challenging as it seems?
Reply 1
Anybody?
Im doing geography, history AND politics so I have to learn so many facts and figures. I personally do not like geography but if you interested in the subject you should take it. If you are interested in both I would go for it because it makes things a lot easier to learn, even though there is a lot. A lot of geography questions are also common sense and if you have good exam technique then you a guaranteed quite a number of marks. Geography and history is quite a common combination in my school so a lot must think the same as me and believe it is doable.

N.B. I got an A* in both geography and history and study a language which is not near as much work in my opinion. (just noticed you said you are thinking of taking Spanish)
(edited 8 years ago)
I am a year 12 student, and study Geography, History, and English Lang/Lit. The first few weeks might be a lot (especially if you have never studied the topic, which is unlikely in geography if you have already done it at GCSE), but as long as you get through the work and are actually fully interested and passionate about it, I highly recommend taking them both! History doesn't require as much memorising as you'd expect, name drop some events and statistics, and you're good to go (just know what you're talking about)!

PLUS you learn to become very analytical and critical in ways you wouldn't expect. You become a very independent, active learner.

I hope this helped! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by hsukristy
I am a year 12 student, and study Geography, History, and English Lang/Lit. The first few weeks might be a lot (especially if you have never studied the topic, which is unlikely in geography if you have already done it at GCSE), but as long as you get through the work and are actually fully interested and passionate about it, I highly recommend taking them both! History doesn't require as much memorising as you'd expect, name drop some events and statistics, and you're good to go (just know what you're talking about)!

PLUS you learn to become very analytical and critical in ways you wouldn't expect. You become a very independent, active learner.

I hope this helped! :smile:

Thank you! I've only seen bad posts about geography so i wasn't sure whether it would be too hard to memorise all the content. Im also thinking of doing english language and spanish, which im scared will be too much. What gcse grades did you get in geog and history?
Original post by Becca.b
Thank you! I've only seen bad posts about geography so i wasn't sure whether it would be too hard to memorise all the content. Im also thinking of doing english language and spanish, which im scared will be too much. What gcse grades did you get in geog and history?

I have a friend who is doing Spanish, it is only hard if you haven't done it before and ideally, you should have gotten at least a B (GCSE), so I've been told. I wasn't a very good student at GCSE :colondollar: but still managed to get an A in history and B in geography. At A-Level, it is much more in depth but I think that makes it much more interesting and easier to understand. I am on As and high Bs at the moment (year 12), so I have another year to improve. So...if you get higher, you're sure to be fine at A Level!

If you know you are a high-achieving student (wide range of As and A*s), talk with the college/sixth form administrators to see what they think, you should be fine!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest