The Student Room Group

Can SFE change their minds?

If SFE has agreed to pay your fees in error can they change their minds and take it away from you once you have signed the loan agreement?
Reply 1
Original post by student357142
If SFE has agreed to pay your fees in error can they change their minds and take it away from you once you have signed the loan agreement?

Yes.

If they realise the error after they pay the money to your uni, they will reclaim it from the uni and the uni will demand repayment direct from you in full, immediately. If you don't or can't pay, your uni place will be withdrawn.

If SFE consider that you have been given a Tuition Fee Loan in error because you supplied incorrect or false information on your application, they will class this as fraud and ban you from getting any student loans in future as well.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Klix88
Yes.

If they realise the error after they pay the money to your uni, they will reclaim it from the uni and the uni will demand repayment direct from you in full, immediately. If you don't or can't pay, your uni place will be withdrawn.

If SFE consider that you have been given a Tuition Fee Loan in error because you supplied incorrect or false information on your application, they will class this as fraud and ban you from getting any student loans in future as well.

I called them and told them I didn't think I was due the money. I told them about my past degree on the forms and on the phone when I called them to say I didn't think I should have my fees paid.

The man on the phone checked my file and told me he could see my past qualification, asked me about the course I have a place for and went to talk to his supervisor. He came back and told me that it was all correct and they would be paying my fees and not taking my past qualification into consideration. I got him to tell me a second time as I couldn't believe it.

So its not as though I gave false information, I even tried to tell them not to pay my fees. But I am still worried that halfway though the year they will change their minds.
Reply 3
I called them and told them I didn't think I was due the money. I told them about my past degree on the forms and on the phone when I called them to say I didn't think I should have my fees paid.

The man on the phone checked my file and told me he could see my past qualification, asked me about the course I have a place for and went to talk to his supervisor. He came back and told me that it was all correct and they would be paying my fees and not taking my past qualification into consideration. I got him to tell me a second time as I couldn't believe it.

So its not as though I gave false information, I even tried to tell them not to pay my fees. But I am still worried that halfway though the year they will change their minds.

What is your existing degree and what will your new one be? Some courses are exempt from the rule. Make sure you get their responses in writing in case of future enquiries. You can also double check direct with an SFE rep here, in the "Ask Student Finance England" sub-forum.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910

What prompted you to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan if you didn't think you were due one?
(edited 7 years ago)
Im sure I only asked for the maintenance loan. But then when I got the agreement it included the fees, which I didn't even notice at first as I was only expecting the maintenance. That's why I called and told them they made a mistake.

Will need to call them again tomorrow and ask for it in writing. I could not find an email address to get a written reply and I was too much in shock when I called the first time and didn't think to ask.

I have a M.A (hons) in psychology and have been accepted to a 5 year medical degree.
Reply 5
Im sure I only asked for the maintenance loan. But then when I got the agreement it included the fees, which I didn't even notice at first as I was only expecting the maintenance. That's why I called and told them they made a mistake.

Will need to call them again tomorrow and ask for it in writing. I could not find an email address to get a written reply and I was too much in shock when I called the first time and didn't think to ask.

I have a M.A (hons) in psychology and have been accepted to a 5 year medical degree.

Medical degrees are exempt from the rule. You're entitled to the Tuition Fee Loan for that.
Thank you, thats what I was told on the phone but I don't know where this comes from. Everything I have read online says otherwise. Thats why I am so confused. Is this new?
Reply 7
Thank you, thats what I was told on the phone but I don't know where this comes from. Everything I have read online says otherwise. Thats why I am so confused. Is this new?

No, it's been that way for years. Professions which need to keep a constant supply of staff e.g. doctors, nurses and teachers, will get funding for those qualifications as a second degree.
Reply 9
They could withdraw it, but given that they have told you that you are entitled to it, why are you pushing away this free money? It is only a loan after all?
Original post by john2054
They could withdraw it, but given that they have told you that you are entitled to it, why are you pushing away this free money? It is only a loan after all?

Because when they audit themselves halfway through the term (which they do) and realise their mistake (which they have done to others in the past) they withdraw funding and your uni holds you liable for the fees in full there and then. And if you can't pay upfront you can be kicked off the course. I would rather have it sorted now than have the stress come Jan when I have exams to pass.
Because when they audit themselves halfway through the term (which they do) and realise their mistake (which they have done to others in the past) they withdraw funding and your uni holds you liable for the fees in full there and then. And if you can't pay upfront you can be kicked off the course. I would rather have it sorted now than have the stress come Jan when I have exams to pass.

they wouldn't do that though
Reply 12
Original post by john2054
they wouldn't do that though

I'm afraid that has happened to contributors here on several occasions.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13

Have you quoted those documents to the SF advisors you spoke to? If so, did they say why they didn't apply to you?
Original post by Klix88
Have you quoted those documents to the SF advisors you spoke to? If so, did they say why they didn't apply to you?

I told them that even their own website states I am not entitled to fees.

I emailed an advisor who helped when there was an issue amalgamating my SAAS account with my SFE account. I had his email as he emailed me about the state of my previous inquiry. My fee status has now been officially amended on the system.

Tuition fee loan £0.

I still get the full maintenance loan at least. I am working my little bottom off trying to put away £9000 before the start of term.
I told them that even their own website states I am not entitled to fees.

I emailed an advisor who helped when there was an issue amalgamating my SAAS account with my SFE account. I had his email as he emailed me about the state of my previous inquiry. My fee status has now been officially amended on the system.

Tuition fee loan £0.

I still get the full maintenance loan at least. I am working my little bottom off trying to put away £9000 before the start of term.

glad you were able to sort it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending