The Student Room Group

Work in mental health but struggle with my own

Do you guys think it's good that work in a hospital for people with mental health conditions if I don't feel fully stable mentally and emotionally myself??? Nothing really bad, just I get very down at times, sensitive and anxious. I've not been doing it long and am enjoying it but it is intense and overwhelming. I'm hoping it will get easier though and think it's the right job for me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
No. Don't continue for the sake of your health. Only when you have recovered and can see mental health from both sides will you be able to nurse others
I would say that you would be a credit to the mental health sector. Not enough people working with it have first hand experience of it and I know this as a patient.

Take the measures to care for yourself such as seeking counselling or whatever you need to do and know that if you are satisfied and comfortable in your career situation then you are probably doing the right thing.

Besides, mental health difficulties are common in adults in the UK (1 in 4?). In this regard, don't treat yourself with exception in terms of withdrawing yourself from what it is you want to do.

If you're unhappy working in mental health then that's a different issue altogether but if you wish to continue in the sector and feel you are coping then don't self stigmatise :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
There's really nothing wrong with having your own mental health condition and working in mental health. If you pay any attention to the news, you'll have heard exactly how common that is due to the stresses put on particular services.

I'm a therapist and I have a mental health condition (PTSD with dissociative disorder). I work really hard to maintain my self care and I've taken time off when I dropped too deep into suicidal ideation. I have a therapist and I get a lot of support through colleagues. You can't do it alone and you can't do it without self compassion and understanding.
As long as you're careful to practice self care and know your limits and make sure you don't get too personally involved, which is easy to do if you really feel you understand what the person is going through. Talk to people if things are getting too much as it can get overwhelming in a job like that. There's no reason you can't do a good job despite your own mental health issues, I work in a setting with vulnerable people, many with mental health problems, and despite struggling at the moment I manage find, I can shut off my own 'stuff' when I need to in order to properly support people.
Original post by shawn_o1
No. Don't continue for the sake of your health. Only when you have recovered and can see mental health from both sides will you be able to nurse others

I don't think people reach a "recovered" state, it's an ongoing process.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tinkerbelle2
Do you guys think it's good that work in a hospital for people with mental health conditions if I don't feel fully stable mentally and emotionally myself??? Nothing really bad, just I get very down at times, sensitive and anxious. I've not been doing it long and am enjoying it but it is intense and overwhelming. I'm hoping it will get easier though and think it's the right job for me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would say go for it. I have a mental health condition and I work in mental health too, not a problem as long as I ensure I keep an eye on my health.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shawn_o1

I totally understand what you're saying but I feel what I have is nothing really bad, I'm rather ordinary and "normal" (for want of a better word!) and as a young adult I think I can function pretty well. I can't sit around waiting forever because I don't know if I will ever recover fully because sometimes (not always) you do have anxiety and depression for life, no matter how much therapy you have, but you can learn how to manage it so it doesn't interfere with your life so much. I think me forcing myself out there and getting stuck into something may hugely help me recover (hopefully it won't make me worse!) whilst I am also giving my patience and care to others in greater need. But I will make sure to take care of myself too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
I would say that you would be a credit to the mental health sector. Not enough people working with it have first hand experience of it and I know this as a patient.

Take the measures to care for yourself such as seeking counselling or whatever you need to do and know that if you are satisfied and comfortable in your career situation then you are probably doing the right thing.

Besides, mental health difficulties are common in adults in the UK (1 in 4?). In this regard, don't treat yourself with exception in terms of withdrawing yourself from what it is you want to do.

If you're unhappy working in mental health then that's a different issue altogether but if you wish to continue in the sector and feel you are coping then don't self stigmatise :wink:

Thank you, that is so kind and lovely to hear! :smile: That's a really good point, I suppose in a way it increases my ability to really relate to and empathise with the patient and imagine how they must be feeling. Some of the patients have said to me little things like "your smile brightens my day" and "i really like our chats" which is so rewarding.

I will, don't worry! I've had therapy before and am thinking of starting it up again. Recently I actually feel in a good place, I wake up and am happy to get myself off to work and I've been doing nice things in the evenings and on days off too like catching up with friends and seeing family. I'm lucky in that I'm still living with parents and they are very supportive and are proud of me doing this job which makes things so much easier. I feel so grateful of that as I know so many people sadly don't have that sort of relationship with their parents. If I didn't have that I'd probably have coped a lot worse!

That is so true. I think it's either 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 but I feel like it's something everyone experiences whether that be in a small way or something more severe. Everybody has down days for example but not everyone will experience that truly awful sense of long term depression. But we're all human and the mind is a complicated thing!

You're right, if I was unhappy doing it that would be a different kettle of fish entirely, but I chose to go into it because I feel I have something to offer others who are suffering and helping others makes me happy. Self-stigmatising - that's a good way to phrase it actually, I think I was doing that a little bit! I'll try not to :wink: I can do this! Thanks for your lovely and helpful post!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bullettheory
I don't think people reach a "recovered" state, it's an ongoing process.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed.

Original post by bullettheory
I would say go for it. I have a mental health condition and I work in mental health too, not a problem as long as I ensure I keep an eye on my health.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah cool! It's good to meet someone in the same boat! How do you find it generally? Yes, I'll try to do that too!
I'm not usually very good at sticking to things, but this year I made it my mission to improve my general health - both physical and mental. I wasn't particularly overweight but I felt I could lose a few pounds plus my skin and hair weren't as good as they could've been - pissibly to do with diet/stress/hormones. I've been eating really well and have joined a gym that has a spa, and I've actually been going consistently! I feel like I'm gradually getting my strength back.
Original post by ~Tara~
There's really nothing wrong with having your own mental health condition and working in mental health. If you pay any attention to the news, you'll have heard exactly how common that is due to the stresses put on particular services.

I'm a therapist and I have a mental health condition (PTSD with dissociative disorder). I work really hard to maintain my self care and I've taken time off when I dropped too deep into suicidal ideation. I have a therapist and I get a lot of support through colleagues. You can't do it alone and you can't do it without self compassion and understanding.

Original post by doodle_333
As long as you're careful to practice self care and know your limits and make sure you don't get too personally involved, which is easy to do if you really feel you understand what the person is going through. Talk to people if things are getting too much as it can get overwhelming in a job like that. There's no reason you can't do a good job despite your own mental health issues, I work in a setting with vulnerable people, many with mental health problems, and despite struggling at the moment I manage find, I can shut off my own 'stuff' when I need to in order to properly support people.

Thank you both for your lovely, thoughtful responses! I'm definitely going to practice self care and self compassion, I think I need to do more of that tbh. I do sometimes neglect myself and always put others first, and let people take advantage or exploit my kind nature. No more though! You lot all remind me there are other kind people out there too. (Sometimes I feel like a lot of people really lack the ability to empathise or don't particularly care about others, and that's a real shame.)
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest