The Student Room Group

Prosecuted for stealing coffee mug from coffee shop, what to expect?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
What a monster ! I believe they administer the Ludovico technique for crimes this severe.
He couldve been mugged of the mug. Then the mugger wouldve been done for mugging someone of a mug!
What a ****ing mug
Reply 23
Original post by Ambitious1999
But it's not like he is a danger to miners because he stole a coffee mug, it's not like he's a sex offender or anything but apparently any job that involves work with kids requires a full CRB check and with a record he will be forbidden such jobs. Even working with the scouts. Apparently you can't even get a visa to the US with a criminal record.

It's his own fault for stealing the mug. It's owned by the coffee shop, therefore not his to take. Ignorance is not an excuse, you don't go somewhere without knowing the laws and customs being enforced in that area.

The problem here is that he purposely broke the law and tried to actively hide that fact while representing a school and being in a position of authority as an activity leader. Stealing while in that sort of situation doesn't exactly speak of responsibility -- which you'll need to be if you're in charge of any group of people, especially students, and especially if people in the group decide to start copying him.

It's unfortunate but he has nobody to blame but himself.
(edited 7 years ago)
Officially he could get sent to prison but it'll never happen for a first time minor offence.

It's only things like violent, drugs and sex offences that bar you from working with minors but it'll create a lot of very awkward situations if he's going into a career that requires a DBS check. As above his best hope is that the Magistrate takes pity on him and lets him off for the sake of his future career.
Original post by JamesN88
Officially he could get sent to prison but it'll never happen for a first time minor offence.

It's only things like violent, drugs and sex offences that bar you from working with minors but it'll create a lot of very awkward situations if he's going into a career that requires a DBS check. As above his best hope is that the Magistrate takes pity on him and lets him off for the sake of his future career.

Should he volunteer to request community service to further reduce the likelihood of prison?

His sister is terrified of him going to prison (she's my GF) she knows all about the gangs in prison from magazines and hazing of new inmates etc. Could he request an open low security prison if he does get sent to do bird?
I'm trying to get in her good books so as much help as possible is appreciated thanks :smile:
Should he volunteer to request community service to further reduce the likelihood of prison?

His sister is terrified of him going to prison (she's my GF) she knows all about the gangs in prison from magazines and hazing of new inmates etc. Could he request an open low security prison if he does get sent to do bird?
I'm trying to get in her good books so as much help as possible is appreciated thanks :smile:

Honestly you both need to get these thoughts out of prison out of your heads, the solicitor is only doing what he is obliged to by telling you all of the legal possibilities. Unless he walks into court effing and blinding at the magistrate the worst he'll get is a fine and maybe community service.

The courts hardly lock up petty criminals let alone first timers.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sayed0123
The punishment for stealing is the death penalty plus five thousand lashes, as far as I know.

Ayyyyyyyy
stealing a coffee mug.... they have grounds to prosecute you
Reply 29
He was never offered the chance to pay a fixed penalty to avoid court but his lawyer said city magistrates were cracking down of theft by having more court summons instead of fixed penalties but I do think that was unfair now he will certainly get a criminal record and not be allowed to work with miners so teaching is out as a career option.

Check with some schools, while it'll have to be declared during the DBS checks, it shouldn't prevent him from working with minors.
Have a read of this if you're still worried about him being locked up.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10375233/Nine-in-10-walk-free-for-first-violent-crime.html
He will be put on perculation.
I think he could claim unfair dismissal from the language school as he missed the coach due to not been given the option of paying an on the spot fine so 'The Police' weren't following correct procedure.

You really dont have a clue what you are talking about. If you feel that confident take over as his legal counsel.
Reply 33
He wont go to prison, probs a fine and probation.

He will be barred from going to the US for a few years but not for life

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending