The Student Room Group

Protostar's journey to amazing grades! (GCSE)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NiamhM1801
14/04/2016 - Evening update

Thankfully, because I didn't have to go into school for the first time this week, I managed to get some proper work done :biggrin:

I decided to focus purely on science today, as I was waaay behind the point I wanted to be at with my notes, but I managed to do loads! :biggrin:

Today I have:
-Finished full notes on B3 for biology
-Finished full notes on C4 for chemistry
-Finished full notes on P4, P5 and P6 for physics
-Started notes on B4 and B5 for biology, and C5 for chemistry

Although the list is quite short today - it's been a hell of a lot of work! I'm exhausted to be quite honest and it's only 8pm! :laugh:

Tomorrow I'm hoping to focus on geography, RS and English - completely different from today! So we'll have to see how that turns out :wink:

WOW well done :smile: Do you still have half term? You've done a lot! Keep up the hard work :smile: Are you ready for your exams? When's your 1st exam?
Original post by nisha.sri
WOW well done :smile: Do you still have half term? You've done a lot! Keep up the hard work :smile: Are you ready for your exams? When's your 1st exam?

Haha thank you! And yep I'm still on my Easter holiday :smile:
I'm quite prepared for most of my exams, mainly the the subjects I like though, oops :tongue:. My first exam's on May 16th - Religious Studies. I'm quite behind on revision for this though, so it's one of my priorities for tomorrow :smile:
Haha thank you! And yep I'm still on my Easter holiday :smile:
I'm quite prepared for most of my exams, mainly the the subjects I like though, oops :tongue:. My first exam's on May 16th - Religious Studies. I'm quite behind on revision for this though, so it's one of my priorities for tomorrow :smile:

Your welcome ! :smile: Oh ok and that's great :smile:
Wow! You get so much done on a daily basis, your motivation and effort is crazy good :smile:
I hope you do amazing in your exams because you definitely deserve it!
Original post by graciousgannon
Wow! You get so much done on a daily basis, your motivation and effort is crazy good :smile:
I hope you do amazing in your exams because you definitely deserve it!

Oh my goodness, thank you so so much! This really means a lot to me :smile:
16/04/2016 - Morning update

THERES EXACTLY ONE MONTH UNTIL MY FIRST EXAM :eek3::eek4::eek3:

Sorry I didn't update last night, I didn't get nearly as much done as I wanted to as I just couldn't stop procrastinating (I spent about 2 hours cycling through uno and temple run :s-smilie:)

Between yesterday and this morning I have managed to:
-annotate one poem from my anthology (it's very incomplete and it worries me)
-finish notes on unit 1.2 (matters of life and death) for RS
-finish the uk reservoir case study for geography, and consequently finish the whole of water on the land 🎉
-physics p456 (Jan 2013) - 46/60 grade A* (bloody hard paper this - only needed 33 for an A*). Weaknesses: resistance in relation to voltage and current in a circuit, electromagnetic induction electricity vs power station electricity, transformers, current and voltage changes in series and parallel circuits, effects of radiation protection measures on different groups of people (so mainly P5 - makes sense as we've only just started learning it)
-started notes on unit 1.3 (marriage and the family) for RS, which I finished this morning
-started notes on the Lake District as a uk tourist destination (case study) for geography (finishing off the tourism unit - I've made notes on everything but the case studies as I put them off because I hate them :laugh:)

Today I plan to continue with the geog case studies, annotate another poem and then move on to PE as I still haven't started revising for it...oops! :tongue:
16/04/2016 - Morning update

THERES EXACTLY ONE MONTH UNTIL MY FIRST EXAM :eek3::eek4::eek3:

Sorry I didn't update last night, I didn't get nearly as much done as I wanted to as I just couldn't stop procrastinating (I spent about 2 hours cycling through uno and temple run :s-smilie:)

Between yesterday and this morning I have managed to:
-annotate one poem from my anthology (it's very incomplete and it worries me)
-finish notes on unit 1.2 (matters of life and death) for RS
-finish the uk reservoir case study for geography, and consequently finish the whole of water on the land 🎉
-physics p456 (Jan 2013) - 46/60 grade A* (bloody hard paper this - only needed 33 for an A*). Weaknesses: resistance in relation to voltage and current in a circuit, electromagnetic induction electricity vs power station electricity, transformers, current and voltage changes in series and parallel circuits, effects of radiation protection measures on different groups of people (so mainly P5 - makes sense as we've only just started learning it)
-started notes on unit 1.3 (marriage and the family) for RS, which I finished this morning
-started notes on the Lake District as a uk tourist destination (case study) for geography (finishing off the tourism unit - I've made notes on everything but the case studies as I put them off because I hate them :laugh:)

Today I plan to continue with the geog case studies, annotate another poem and then move on to PE as I still haven't started revising for it...oops! :tongue:

WOW YOU'VE DONE A LOT :smile:
Tomorrow it's a month till my exams :eek::eek: !!
Hope you get lots done though :smile:
17/04/2016 - Evening update

Barely done anything today, as I spent most of the day in town looking for prom shoes (I found some :biggrin:)

However, I managed to:
-geography past paper question (water on the land only, June 2012) - 23/25 weaknesses: factors affecting a rivers discharge
-finished b4 notes for biology

I still need to:
-do an English exam question as possible homework (literally no one knows so better to be safe than sorry)
17/04/2016 - Evening update

Barely done anything today, as I spent most of the day in town looking for prom shoes (I found some :biggrin:)

However, I managed to:
-geography past paper question (water on the land only, June 2012) - 23/25 weaknesses: factors affecting a rivers discharge
-finished b4 notes for biology

I still need to:
-do an English exam question as possible homework (literally no one knows so better to be safe than sorry)

At least you did something so well done :smile:
18/04/2016 - Night update

Only 4 weeks until exams begin! :s-smilie:

Today was the first day back at school and I'm honestly exhausted. I didn't manage to do much after school at all today.

Today I managed to:
-finish b5 notes for biology
-check through further maths paper 1 (June 15) and made any last minute corrections for it to be handed in tomorrow - I managed to do the trig identities question! :biggrin:
-check through German papers to be handed in tomorrow too (no changes though as I did them timed)
-begin unit 1.4 (community cohesion) notes for RS, but I only got as far as the definitions

But now I'm going to sleep as I'm struggling to stay awake...hopefully I'll manage a bit more tomorrow!
19/04/2016 - Night update

Decided to have a bit of a day off today as I'm incredibly tired - I'm still not back in the school routine even though I got up at 9am every day in the holidays (it literally took me half an hour to get out of bed this morning...:s-smilie:)

Today in English we did a practice language writing paper and I don't think it went that well...I basically started rambling on about how fantastic Leeds is blah blah blah...but I hopefully wrote enough to get a decent mark this time.

Today in maths we went through the June 2014 paper 1 that was homework (it was a lovely paper, got 68/70 - full marks on everything I attempted) and handed in the June 2015 paper 1 for sir to mark to make it more like a proper exam (which is good because no one could have cheated as it was 2015 and obviously the mark scheme isn't available yet) but I felt it went quite well.

We had our first lesson with our "new" chemistry teacher today but it was actually pretty good - have a feeling these last few lessons are going to be quite productive :smile:

However today in terms of revision all I've done is one of those papers edexcel made with the worst done questions of all time, I got 63/71 which would have been 65 if I hadn't have made literally the stupidest mistake ever costing me 2 very easy marks, but it's still a good score so I'm happy.

Hopefully I'll get back to being productive tomorrow!
22/04/2016 - Evening update

Sorry for not updating for a few days :s-smilie:

I've been so unproductive this week it's ridiculous, I just haven't managed to drag myself to my desk to get started unfortunately. Scary as exams are so so close now.

This week I got back the June 2015 paper 1 for further maths, and I got 62/70 - actually my worst score yet but it's still an A^ so I'm still very happy with it.

I've also been to the gym twice as I kind of stopped going for a month...oops.

And my PE teacher made honestly the greatest decision of all time about our moderation - she's done it in a way where we pick the 10 stations from the list that we're best at (so we don't have to do the ones we hate and are awful at), because as long as we justify how they will benefit us in our sports we'll get good scores! I'm so happy about it as it means I don't have to do burpees, push ups, tricep dips or straddle jumps so I actually have a chance of doing well haha!

But I've literally done no revision barring Monday's efforts, which is disappointing but I've just been exhausted from school as I haven't been sleeping very well at all and I've been doing quite a bit of exercise on top of it. Tonight I hope to sleep well so I can focus tomorrow and just get on.
22/04/2016 - Evening update

Sorry for not updating for a few days :s-smilie:

I've been so unproductive this week it's ridiculous, I just haven't managed to drag myself to my desk to get started unfortunately. Scary as exams are so so close now.

This week I got back the June 2015 paper 1 for further maths, and I got 62/70 - actually my worst score yet but it's still an A^ so I'm still very happy with it.

I've also been to the gym twice as I kind of stopped going for a month...oops.

And my PE teacher made honestly the greatest decision of all time about our moderation - she's done it in a way where we pick the 10 stations from the list that we're best at (so we don't have to do the ones we hate and are awful at), because as long as we justify how they will benefit us in our sports we'll get good scores! I'm so happy about it as it means I don't have to do burpees, push ups, tricep dips or straddle jumps so I actually have a chance of doing well haha!

But I've literally done no revision barring Monday's efforts, which is disappointing but I've just been exhausted from school as I haven't been sleeping very well at all and I've been doing quite a bit of exercise on top of it. Tonight I hope to sleep well so I can focus tomorrow and just get on.

Aw well done on the A* and hopefully you could get a lot done for the weekends and yes exams are soooooooo close it scares me. Every night i tick off the days and it frightens me that i have 3 weeks left GAH!! Do get some sleep, maybe have an earlier night why do you not get a good sleep?
Aw well done on the A* and hopefully you could get a lot done for the weekends and yes exams are soooooooo close it scares me. Every night i tick off the days and it frightens me that i have 3 weeks left GAH!! Do get some sleep, maybe have an earlier night why do you not get a good sleep?

Haha thank you :smile:
I wouldn't dare tick off the days it'd scare me too much! All the teachers at school keep telling us how many days there are until exams but they say it in school days which is even worse as there are less of them!
I'm definitely getting an early night tonight, and I'm looking forward to a bit of a lie in, it's been a hard week!
And I'm not sure why I don't sleep well, sometimes I do, others I don't. I just kind of roll with it tbh. Sometimes stress does keep me awake but I don't think that's the case as I'm weirdly calm - it worries me how un-stressed (if that's a word) I am :s-smilie:
I'm definitely going to really work hard this weekend as they seem to be the only times I can actually focus!
Haha thank you :smile:
I wouldn't dare tick off the days it'd scare me too much! All the teachers at school keep telling us how many days there are until exams but they say it in school days which is even worse as there are less of them!
I'm definitely getting an early night tonight, and I'm looking forward to a bit of a lie in, it's been a hard week!
And I'm not sure why I don't sleep well, sometimes I do, others I don't. I just kind of roll with it tbh. Sometimes stress does keep me awake but I don't think that's the case as I'm weirdly calm - it worries me how un-stressed (if that's a word) I am :s-smilie:
I'm definitely going to really work hard this weekend as they seem to be the only times I can actually focus!

Haha i guess :smile: for me if I tick off the days, i can see the amount of time i have which scares me and i can plan my time :biggrin: Oh, yes teachers are probably the worst people on Earth ATM :h:
You really should get a good sleep and that's true weekends are when you can revise effectively hopefully you get a lot done :smile: I'm also planning to do loads exams are getting closer and closer
Haha i guess :smile: for me if I tick off the days, i can see the amount of time i have which scares me and i can plan my time :biggrin: Oh, yes teachers are probably the worst people on Earth ATM :h:
You really should get a good sleep and that's true weekends are when you can revise effectively hopefully you get a lot done :smile: I'm also planning to do loads exams are getting closer and closer

Yeah, I guess fear never worked for me it just puts me off because I'm just like 'what's the point?'. And I agree that teachers aren't handling it well! Good luck with your revision this weekend!
Yeah, I guess fear never worked for me it just puts me off because I'm just like 'what's the point?'. And I agree that teachers aren't handling it well! Good luck with your revision this weekend!

Haha you too :smile: Get a good sleep x
23/04/2016 - Evening update

Haven't done as much as I'd hoped today :frown:

I have, however:
-Further maths (Jan 2013) paper 1 - 66/70, grade A^. This was such a hard paper!!! (It actually nearly made me cry at one point :s-smilie:)
-started writing out physics p5 notes (finished static electricity, circuit diagrams, electric current and potential difference)
-finally started revising PE (I've left this wayyy too late) - got notes made on age and disability in sport (only one out of 32 topics :s-smilie:)
-further maths (Jan 2013) paper 2 - 101/105, grade A^. I finally hit the 100 mark!! 🎉🎉 (it's something I've wanted to reach for a LONG time. This was a hell of a lot easier than paper 1!

So yeah...haven't done much but then again the maths papers did take up 3 and a half hours of my precious time so I guess I have done quite a bit. Tomorrow I need to get some English done and catch up on chemistry (need to finish c5 and c6) so I can move on to the 7s pretty soon.

Another early night as, surprise surprise, had another poor nights sleep last night :frown: hopefully tonight will be better as I really need energy this coming week!
25/04/2016 - Morning update

Didn't get that much done yesterday, but I did a bit:
-made more PE notes (got 3 of 31 topics done now)
-went through the further maths paper that's due tomorrow (no changes though)
-most of my time was spent drawing up a revision timetable (which I probably won't stick to) for my study leave application

Today I'm off to the gym to prepare for Thursday, as there's no way I'm going on Wednesday and being all achy for moderation!
25/04/2016 - Evening update

Didn't do that much today, but I still did a little. I was mainly held up because I went to the gym so I didn't actually get started until 6 but oh well - tomorrow should be better :smile:
Today I managed to:
-do another PE topic (4/31)
-start notes on RS unit 8.1 (rights and responsibilities), why Christians use the bible and the Church to base moral decisions

Today was ok, in maths we were given a load of practice packs of questions which I'll use in the days leading up to my exam, geography was, as per usual, a complete waste of time, RS was pretty bad because we had the trainee teacher again who I hate, PE was awful because it was dodgeball, and in English we got given back the writing tasks that we did in class last week - I got 21/24 :biggrin: very happy with that - not so sure about the omam one we're getting back on Wednesday though! :s-smilie:

Now I'm pretty tired as I'm STILL not sleeping well, so I'm going to try and get an early-ish night :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending