The Student Room Group

Extenuating circumstances claim rejected

Hi all, hoping for a bit of advice here.

They've rejected my extenuating circumstances claim at uni on the grounds that depression does not count as an issue 'outside of the student's control', essentially because I chose not to get treatment sooner - I could have it under control by now but chose to only just start treatment, so it's my fault.

This means that I need to get the essays done, but I don't have the motivation or concentration for it. Additionally I'm suffering from insomnia and I'm only getting four hours sleep per night max, so it's even more difficult to concentrate.

I'm not sure what to do. Does anyone have any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by georgiaswift

They've rejected my extenuating circumstances claim at uni on the grounds that depression does not count as an issue 'outside of the student's control', essentially because I chose not to get treatment sooner - I could have it under control by now but chose to only just start treatment, so it's my fault.

This means that I need to get the essays done, but I don't have the motivation or concentration for it. Additionally I'm suffering from insomnia and I'm only getting four hours sleep per night max, so it's even more difficult to concentrate.

That is absolute bull**** and is verging on discrimination. How long have you been depressed? Have you provided evidence? This could just be in the form of a GPs letter,

If it's something that's still ongoing it can be classed as a "disability" and the university would be guilty of discrimination.

Appeal it! Speak with whoever is the boss of the person that made this decision or the dean. There is absolutely no way that this is the correct decision. Feel free to PM me if you need any further help with letter writing or the like!!

Good luck
Original post by DrID
That is absolute bull**** and is verging on discrimination. How long have you been depressed? Have you provided evidence? This could just be in the form of a GPs letter,

If it's something that's still ongoing it can be classed as a "disability" and the university would be guilty of discrimination.

Appeal it! Speak with whoever is the boss of the person that made this decision or the dean. There is absolutely no way that this is the correct decision. Feel free to PM me if you need any further help with letter writing or the like!!

Good luck

I've had depression since August, and I attached a letter from the GP with my claim, which she said she 'took into consideration' when she read the claim. Furthermore I've just started a course of antidepressants which have been giving me really bad side effects - headaches, nausea, dizziness etc, which was also explained. She merely said that she 'hopes I feel better soon'. How do I go about contacting somebody else? The form says her decision is final. Thanks for saying I can PM you, I may well do :smile:
Reply 3
Who is it that made the "final decision"?! They sound like an idiot tbh.

Part of depression is the difficulty in seeking help and your GP will understand this. It isn't your fault in the slightest. Go and see your GP and explain what is happening with your uni. They will be supportive and should be able to issue another letter which could explain the issues a little better so this clown can understand what is going on.

Do you have a dean of school or dean of uni. I would make a formal complaint in writing. This is discrimination and I would make that point clear in your letter.

HTH
Maybe you now realise the truth. Universities are nothing more than cold automatons that are factories thats sole purpose is to indebt you and screw you over. Universities and their professors and management are the scum of the Earth that need wiping clean from it
Reply 5
Sorry I don't have any advice to give you but good luck overcoming depression, I've been there too and peoples perspective of it sucks, they just don't get it - which makes it even more frustrating your claim got rejected because maybe if they understood it there would be a different outcome! I know you're not asking for this but PM me if you need motivation or want to talk to someone who understands how it feels!
Original post by DrID
Who is it that made the "final decision"?! They sound like an idiot tbh.

Part of depression is the difficulty in seeking help and your GP will understand this. It isn't your fault in the slightest. Go and see your GP and explain what is happening with your uni. They will be supportive and should be able to issue another letter which could explain the issues a little better so this clown can understand what is going on.

Do you have a dean of school or dean of uni. I would make a formal complaint in writing. This is discrimination and I would make that point clear in your letter.

HTH

She's the head of our year. We do have a dean of school that we can write to, which I may have to do. I'm going to see my boyfriend's mother on Thursday and I'll ask her what she thinks I should do, and go from there. May go back to the GP and get another letter also. Thank you for your advice

Hi, ive filled out an EC form for my exams. i wrote in it that ive been depressed since autumn and my depression has now escalated in March/April. in my gp's letter she wrote that ive never been depressed before (this is my first time so it isnt a long term problem), very withdrawn {as i was in denial about my situation and physically couldnt go and seek help- i didnt leave my house for months} and that she wrote in the letter that i am unfit for work.

im waiting to hear back from the panel but now im a little worried it will get rejected because your claim did :/
Reply 8
Have you tried to speak to your universities student support team or student union? They should be able to support you and help with the issue. You shouldnt have had it rejected like that, it is ridiculous. Even if you had accessed help earlier there is nothing to say you would be better by now. It shouldn't matter either way, it's not about it being your fault or what help you got, it's about things that affect you academically and depression is a reasonable example of an EC

She's the head of our year. We do have a dean of school that we can write to, which I may have to do. I'm going to see my boyfriend's mother on Thursday and I'll ask her what she thinks I should do, and go from there. May go back to the GP and get another letter also. Thank you for your advice

there we go then.

Is it a sudden episode or a longer term one? If you can get medical evidence to say that it is a sudden episode or a flare up you should be eligable.

If it is longer term then DSA is your better option and can include extensions. Unfortionately it will take too long to apply for it to be useful to you now.

It is really annoying and I find it completely unfair, but unfortionately they tend to deny you if you've known about the issue and "not done anything". Depending on the situation this is really stupid cos yeah I get it they "haven't done anything to help it" but they could have been going to therapy and things and it hasn't helped yet so it's not really that sensible.

I believe you would be eligble to re-sit at least so if this doesn't go well talk to your uni about that.

For now talk to student support and see if there is any help they can give you. Ask if they can help you re-apply and tell you what to say or if they can give you any help with your work.
Original post by alkaline.
there we go then.

are you implying that OP is at fault?

the symptoms of depression (guilt, lack of motivation, hopelessness) make it incredibly hard to ask for and access help and overcome the depression... it could also have been a long term problem which took more than a couple of months of counselling to solve

OP - I don't have any advice that's very helpful. Obviously go speak to your student representatives as they will have dealt with similar things before and should be able to advise you. At the same time, if you can try and get anything done which you can manage, break it into small sections etc just in case you can't get them to see reason. I'm sorry this is happening for you.
I just received a rejection email. I have a doctor's note saying that I had an "acute stress repsonse" for the last 6 weeks (covers the assignment date) but they've said that I don't have enough date specific evidence. I don't know how much more date specfic I can get especially as it was over 2 months ago now?! Student Services said that the note should be enough and they didn't see why it wouldn't be accepted, I've emailed back asking what more Ican do but its a pain!!
Original post by LottieMitch
I just received a rejection email. I have a doctor's note saying that I had an "acute stress repsonse" for the last 6 weeks (covers the assignment date) but they've said that I don't have enough date specific evidence. I don't know how much more date specfic I can get especially as it was over 2 months ago now?! Student Services said that the note should be enough and they didn't see why it wouldn't be accepted, I've emailed back asking what more Ican do but its a pain!!

You'd get a better response if you start your own thread.

Quick Reply

Latest