The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Pretty much agree with Rk. EL should be irrelevant to any team that is consistently in the CL. The FA Cup should be the only one of the two that you're even in contention to win.

If you're not consistently in the CL, (like United and Liverpool now) I would agree with you.

Original post by KingKoala
Still value FA cup more than EL.

An EL trophy has far more value to us than an FA Cup, at this current time.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rk2k14
I can see his point and its valid but not applicable in this situation.

If you were consistently in the top 4 like City are, Arsenal, Chelsea and previously United then you would mos def rate the FA Cup over the EL, so to say winning a European Competition over the FA Cup all the time is not true.
Lets not beat around the bush. It is a trophy for the teams who were too **** to make strides in the CL.

However, in the case of lesser teams like United and Liverpool, its clear which one a sensible person would value more.

I understand what you mean.

I just feel like showing you can win trophies in Europe (even "only" the EL) means that players will take notice of you. It won't be humongous but it'll certainly be a bigger influence than winning the FA Cup.

Teams like Liverpool need that right now - we have the manager and we've seen off the likes of Dortmund and United. All we need is the trophy.

You look at a team like Arsenal who make the CL every season but get no closer to winning it. What's the point?
Like I understand the prestige of being in the competition, but if you're never gonna win it, why not be in a competition you might actually win (i.e: the EL)
Original post by Lúcio
I understand what you mean.

I just feel like showing you can win trophies in Europe (even "only" the EL) means that players will take notice of you. It won't be humongous but it'll certainly be a bigger influence than winning the FA Cup.

Teams like Liverpool need that right now - we have the manager and we've seen off the likes of Dortmund and United. All we need is the trophy.

You look at a team like Arsenal who make the CL every season but get no closer to winning it. What's the point?
Like I understand the prestige of being in the competition, but if you're never gonna win it, why not be in a competition you might actually win (i.e: the EL)

Yeah man, i agree with you but it is a bitter pill to swallow admitting the EL has a lot more value to your club than before.
At one point we were in 3 CL finals within the space of 4 years ffs.
Original post by Rk2k14
Yeah man, i agree with you but it is a bitter pill to swallow admitting the EL has a lot more value to your club than before.
At one point we were in 3 CL finals within the space of 4 years ffs.

I know - we were both greats but teams go up and down over the years.

The only way to get back to where we once were is to accept we're declined and acknowledge that we need to win these competitions to bring ourselves back up to the top.

We have the manager and he takes the EL seriously. He was in a CL final only a few years ago but he isn't like some fans on here who think they're better than the EL.
Original post by Lúcio
I know - we were both greats but teams go up and down over the years.

The only way to get back to where we once were is to accept we're declined and acknowledge that we need to win these competitions to bring ourselves back up to the top.

We have the manager and he takes the EL seriously. He was in a CL final only a few years ago but he isn't like some fans on here who think they're better than the EL.

Man Utd and Liverpool should not be playing in the Europa league, nor should their fans be proud of it.
Man Utd and Liverpool should not be playing in the Europa league, nor should their fans be proud of it.

This is where your delusion comes in.

We aren't more deserving to have CL football than any other club. You must earn your place and we both haven't been good enough in recent years to do so consistently.

We'll get in to the CL when we play good enough football. For now we'll play in the EL.
For the record, I am proud. Beating Dortmund and United on the way to the semis is no mean feat.
Original post by Lúcio
This is where your delusion comes in.

We aren't more deserving to have CL football than any other club. You must earn your place and we both haven't been good enough in recent years to do so consistently.

We'll get in to the CL when we play good enough football. For now we'll play in the EL.
For the record, I am proud. Beating Dortmund and United on the way to the semis is no mean feat.

Man Utd and Liverpool probably have a combined net worth of 3 billion or so.... They should not be playing in the Europa league.
Man Utd and Liverpool probably have a combined net worth of 3 billion or so.... They should not be playing in the Europa league.

lol at comparing man utd to liverpool.

Liverpool are a europa level team. The last time they qualified for CL, they ended up in Europa which speaks levels.

Man Utd are echelons above Liverpool, and always will be. Giving them a combined net worth is irrelevant really, its like saying Lucio and Warren Buffet have a combined net worth of $65 billion.
Original post by swirly

Liverpool are a europa level team. The last time they qualified for CL, they ended up in Europa which speaks levels.

Man Utd are echelons above Liverpool, and always will be. Giving them a combined net worth is irrelevant really, its like saying Lucio and Warren Buffet have a combined net worth of $65 billion.

We knocked you out of Europe this season.

Original post by swirly

I know, I know 2.5billion is from United :wink:
Original post by Lúcio

Imagine caring about your Europa wins so much when we destroy you in the PL

Original post by Lúcio

No we were knocked out by Barcelona.

In the real European competition.....

Original post by Lúcio

One result makes that statement not true?
Can't wait for Liverpool to end up not lifting the EL. Luke always starts bumpin' his gums the moment Liverpool get a few decent results and then he comes crashing back down when they're exposed for the garbage team they are.
Original post by Major Zero
Can't wait for Liverpool to end up not lifting the EL. Luke always starts bumpin' his gums the moment Liverpool get a few decent results and then he comes crashing back down when they're exposed for the garbage team they are.

Funny thing is that I've been saying in recent weeks that it's far from over and underestimating Villarreal is suicide.

But yeah, tailor the "truth" to suit your needs....
Apparently Liverpool are going to be bought out by an Arab who is worth more than City's owner, what have we done to deserve this- two of our closest rival with massive investors.
#lukeroast2k16
Original post by difeo
#lukeroast2k16

KingKoala and Major Zero...
Original post by Lúcio

All the more embarrassing then
Original post by Lúcio

Whats the problem punk

Latest