The Student Room Group

British jobs for british people

Should the government make businesses only employ british people? Migrants from Europe think of UK as a very attractive place to live as they learn the language while at school. How many eastern europeans live in Germany compared to the UK? In the UK it is not compulsory to learn a different language so we have an unfair advantage when thinking about living in a new country. More and more migrants with degree are now coming to the UK, taking jobs. Job
vacancies are now at all time low.

Scroll to see replies

I like the Russian policy for employment of foreign people
EU migrants are unequivocally good for the UK. They're more educated and fill skilled jobs that the native population can't.

Unemployment has been going down for a while. If you're getting outcompeted by people who don't even speak English as a first language, maybe you should've tried harder in school.
Reply 3
I got a degree. I keep seeing people who came from other european countries who got degrees on linkedin getting jobs in the uk
Is it not British people who are employing these immigrants though? It's not the immigrants faults if they come here and apply for a job and get it over a British native. Either try harder or blame employers.
Competition is good and having a labour market where employers are able to pick and choose the best candidates is beneficial. The issue arises when said supply is significantly higher than the quantity demanded, in which case, salaries may see significant pressure. I don't trust the government to impose restrictions on businesses in terms of who they should employ. This sounds awfully like Mercantilism, which had detrimental effects on macroeconomic conditions.
I've lived in the UK for 12 years, fluent in English and studying an Engineering degree. I am not British though...

Where would I fit in the 'British jobs for British people'?
A lot judging by this. Hardly surprising given its wealthy economy and proximity to Eastern Europe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_Germany#Immigrant_population_in_Germany_by_country_of_birth
(edited 8 years ago)
How about you give back what you stole from their countries first
Original post by intelligent con
How about you give back what you stole from their countries first

Hahahah

Immigration:
>bad when we do it
>good when they do it

Double standard much?
Original post by TheIr0nDuke
Hahahah

Immigration:
>bad when we do it
>good when they do it

Double standard much?

Indeed.
They're not 'taking' jobs as you say. They're just more qualified for the job, as opposed to the average British person. You think an employer should just employ you just because of the fact that you're British? Even though you're not qualified enough for the job, and thus unable to do it? :colonhash:
Again, they're probably more Qualified than you, in terms of having more than a degree. Just because you have a degree, it doesn't guarantee you the job/a job. I mean, literally everyone has degree's now days :u:. Maybe you should of made your time at University more worthwhile, by gaining other stuff on your belt along the way, that would set you aside from other people out there. As they say, it is a competition out there.
Hahahah

Immigration:
>bad when we do it
>good when they do it

Double standard much?

lmao
the only thing that doesn't count is African slaves since they didn't immigrate.
Hahahah

Immigration:
>bad when we do it
>good when they do it

Double standard much?
Its because good hard working muslims have helped build up the economy by founding businesses and doing the jobs lazy white Brits don't want to do. In contrast you Brits raped and pillaged a quarter of the world which is why people from these countries have to immigrate in the first place.
It's that cheap labour.
Original post by JordanL_
EU migrants are unequivocally good for the UK. They're more educated and fill skilled jobs that the native population can't.

Unemployment has been going down for a while. If you're getting outcompeted by people who don't even speak English as a first language, maybe you should've tried harder in school.

Original post by intelligent con
Its because good hard working muslims have helped build up the economy by founding businesses and doing the jobs lazy white Brits don't want to do. In contrast you Brits raped and pillaged a quarter of the world which is why people from these countries have to immigrate in the first place.

Why be so specific? Certain races have been much more helpful than others. Muslims are at the 'lesser helpful' end of the scale. Indians for example are hard working, law abiding, peaceful citizens.

So because of our actions 200-250 years ago we get penalised for it? Does Turkey get penalised for the slaughter of Armenian Christians, and the Ottoman Empire? What about China, for their actions under Genghis Khan?
Original post by JordanL_

Savage
Once again the closet racism on TSR is becoming apparent.

If you're not good enough for a job and someone is better, tough. Competition is good and increases our productive potential. complaining about how 'we whites are getting are jobs taken by foreigners' is what losers do. Get a grip and improve yourself instead of crying about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending