The Student Room Group

Sociology OCR G671 and G672

Hi posting this thread on the behalf of my sister :biggrin:

Is there anyone sitting these exams (with the old specification)?

Has anyone got a model answer of the unit 1 pre release?

Scroll to see replies

I sat the old spec G671 and G672 two years ago, I haven't got any model answer for the unit 1 pre-release.

But if your sister would like any help with them two exams, feel free to ask. :h:
Reply 2
Original post by undercxver
I sat the old spec G671 and G672 two years ago, I haven't got any model answer for the unit 1 pre-release.

But if your sister would like any help with them two exams, feel free to ask. :h:

omg sorry i just saw this!!

i think shes a little confused with the unit 1 exam, and asks me alot of questions that im unable to answer haha

i will wait for her to get home and ask her, if she would like, to ask you some of these questions?

i will let you know later today if she still needs help

thank you for your response
Original post by AthiaKarim
omg sorry i just saw this!!

i think shes a little confused with the unit 1 exam, and asks me alot of questions that im unable to answer haha

i will wait for her to get home and ask her, if she would like, to ask you some of these questions?

i will let you know later today if she still needs help

thank you for your response

Sure, that's fine by me.

No problem. :h:
Reply 4
Sure, that's fine by me.

No problem. :h:

i will let you know later today :*
alot of her questions were along the lines of http://vocaroo.com/i/s1XEp3QjnqzE

lol i didnt know how to explain it best on here haha
i will let you know later today :*
alot of her questions were along the lines of http://vocaroo.com/i/s1XEp3QjnqzE

lol i didnt know how to explain it best on here haha

Okay so this is G671, I guess she's struggling with structure and content to include in her answer then.

Here's a structure she can follow:

8 Mark
You gain four marks for your definition and four marks for your examples. Make sure that you define the key term used in the question (underline/highlight the keywords in the question) and use as many other key words as you can to show that you understand the term. Make sure that you also include at least two examples, as with just one example you cannot gain the full four marks for examples.

16 Mark
It should take the form of two clear paragraphs, with each paragraph containing one point. You are being asked to explain two points, so make sure you do two - don't do one or three.

Twelve marks are given for your knowledge and understanding in this question, and you will need to include studies, concepts, theories or examples in each paragraph. You will get four marks for your answer being relevant and applied to the question; quite simply you need to ensure that your are answering the question.

24 Mark
This is the mini-essay. You will need an introduction, three/four points and a conclusion. If you are doing three points, make sure they are well explained. In this question, the use of studies and/or theory is pretty much a necessity to get a high mark.

Twelve marks are given for your knowledge and understanding in this question, and you will need to include studies, concepts, theories or examples for each of yours points. Eight marks are given for your answer being relevant and applied to the question, and four marks are given for your evaluation and analysis of the overall argument.

52 Mark
There are various ways to structure the 52 mark question, but here's one way to go about it.

First of all, you want to introduce your argument. That means that you will want to define the key concepts (so if the question is on ethnography, explain what an ethnography is in the pre-release). Your introduction can be brief, so don't spend too much time on it.

You want to cover four areas in your essay: reliability, validity, generalisability and representativeness. Within each of those areas, you will want to talk about the sample, method and data in the pre-release, and relate it back. So for example if you are talking about the reliability of a question talking about ethnography, you will start with a sentence that introduces reliability (the ability of being able to repeat the research and gain the same/similar results) and then apply that to the method - why the ethnographic method is or isn't reliable. Then you will want to (more briefly) apply reliability to the sample and data.

Here's a few videos she can watch for help with the content:Other resources:

If she already hasn't got a book, here's an online version of the a book

I highly recommend she gets this book (the best book available for G671)

Of course if she has anything else to ask then she can. I realised you said she's sitting these exams independently, so she can ask her exam center with help in order to get the pre-release. I remember my teacher telling me that there will no longer be a pre-release, not too sure on that though.
Reply 6
Okay so this is G671, I guess she's struggling with structure and content to include in her answer then.

Here's a structure she can follow:

8 Mark
You gain four marks for your definition and four marks for your examples. Make sure that you define the key term used in the question (underline/highlight the keywords in the question) and use as many other key words as you can to show that you understand the term. Make sure that you also include at least two examples, as with just one example you cannot gain the full four marks for examples.

16 Mark
It should take the form of two clear paragraphs, with each paragraph containing one point. You are being asked to explain two points, so make sure you do two - don't do one or three.

Twelve marks are given for your knowledge and understanding in this question, and you will need to include studies, concepts, theories or examples in each paragraph. You will get four marks for your answer being relevant and applied to the question; quite simply you need to ensure that your are answering the question.

24 Mark
This is the mini-essay. You will need an introduction, three/four points and a conclusion. If you are doing three points, make sure they are well explained. In this question, the use of studies and/or theory is pretty much a necessity to get a high mark.

Twelve marks are given for your knowledge and understanding in this question, and you will need to include studies, concepts, theories or examples for each of yours points. Eight marks are given for your answer being relevant and applied to the question, and four marks are given for your evaluation and analysis of the overall argument.

52 Mark
There are various ways to structure the 52 mark question, but here's one way to go about it.

First of all, you want to introduce your argument. That means that you will want to define the key concepts (so if the question is on ethnography, explain what an ethnography is in the pre-release). Your introduction can be brief, so don't spend too much time on it.

You want to cover four areas in your essay: reliability, validity, generalisability and representativeness. Within each of those areas, you will want to talk about the sample, method and data in the pre-release, and relate it back. So for example if you are talking about the reliability of a question talking about ethnography, you will start with a sentence that introduces reliability (the ability of being able to repeat the research and gain the same/similar results) and then apply that to the method - why the ethnographic method is or isn't reliable. Then you will want to (more briefly) apply reliability to the sample and data.

Here's a few videos she can watch for help with the content:Other resources:

If she already hasn't got a book, here's an online version of the a book

I highly recommend she gets this book (the best book available for G671)

Of course if she has anything else to ask then she can. I realised you said she's sitting these exams independently, so she can ask her exam center with help in order to get the pre-release. I remember my teacher telling me that there will no longer be a pre-release, not too sure on that though.

WOW, just showed her this and it helped her alot, she just printed it out and attached it to her notes. thank you fr taking the time out and doing this, she really appreciates it, and its so kind :*

she said, she does have a few more questions she would like to ask, she doesnt have a tsr account so will you be willing to text or email her? whatever is suitable for you :smile:

thank you again
WOW, just showed her this and it helped her alot, she just printed it out and attached it to her notes. thank you fr taking the time out and doing this, she really appreciates it, and its so kind :*

she said, she does have a few more questions she would like to ask, she doesnt have a tsr account so will you be willing to text or email her? whatever is suitable for you :smile:

thank you again

No problem! :h:

I like to keep my email and number quite private. :colondollar:

Is it okay if she makes a TSR account? I don't mind helping her that way. Also it will be beneficial for her as people discuss the predicted questions on here.
Reply 8
No problem! :h:

I like to keep my email and number quite private. :colondollar:

Is it okay if she makes a TSR account? I don't mind helping her that way. Also it will be beneficial for her as people discuss the predicted questions on here.

Aww don't worry about it, that's ok- I understand that haha :*

I'll speak to her and try and get her to make an account! She's quite adamant on not making one :frown:
Aww don't worry about it, that's ok- I understand that haha :*

I'll speak to her and try and get her to make an account! She's quite adamant on not making one :frown:

Yeah definitely do.

Tell her to stay away from any noneducational forums. :rofl: Generally it will be very useful for her, if I can't answer something someone else will be able to. :yep:

Spoiler

Reply 10
Yeah definitely do.

Tell her to stay away from any noneducational forums. :rofl: Generally it will be very useful for her, if I can't answer something someone else will be able to. :yep:

Spoiler

LMAOOO that's true I could keep an eye on her lol!

I've spoken to her and she said she will make it, I'll send her your info
LMAOOO that's true I could keep an eye on her lol!

I've spoken to her and she said she will make it, I'll send her your info

Hopefully she doesn't read this. :sneakydevil:

Cool, go ahead! :h:
Hey guys stuck on a question. How does family reinforce feminine identities?
Original post by deji_ta
Hey guys stuck on a question. How does family reinforce feminine identities?

Hey, here's some help in regards to your question.

Functionalism:

Spoiler

Marxism:

Spoiler

Feminism:

Spoiler

Reply 14
Any predictions for the g672 paper??
Reply 15
Original post by bsbnah
Any predictions for the g672 paper??

i was really good with predictions when i sat the paper but, i have no clue as im just helping my sister with the exam. i do have a feeling childhood may come up (its pretty much due unless it came up last year)
Reply 16
i was really good with predictions when in sat the paper but, i have no clue as im just helping my sister with the exam. i do have a feeling childhood may come up (its pretty much due unless it came up last year)

Aw thank you! I'm horrible af predictions lol. If you can, would you be able to predict the g672 questions and let me know? It'll help so much!
Reply 17
Original post by bsbnah
Aw thank you! I'm horrible af predictions lol. If you can, would you be able to predict the g672 questions and let me know? It'll help so much!

ok just having a look, i strongly feel lke the relationship between parents and children may come up (17)

i also feel like two ways in which the family varies according to ethnicity may come up, (17) as it has only come up once in 2012

however, decline in family size as a 17 marker may come up too thats what i feel (idek what came up for 2015 but the first two predictions that i listed is what i thought wouldve alternatively come up for mine in 2014)
Reply 18
ok just having a look, i strongly feel lke the relationship between parents and children may come up (17)

i also feel like two ways in which the family varies according to ethnicity may come up, (17) as it has only come up once in 2012

however, decline in family size as a 17 marker may come up too thats what i feel (idek what came up for 2015 but the first two predictions that i listed is what i thought wouldve alternatively come up for mine in 2014)

Thank you so much, that helped a lot.

Do you have any predictions for the 33 markers?
Reply 19
Original post by bsbnah
Thank you so much, that helped a lot.

Do you have any predictions for the 33 markers?

not as of this moment, only because i feel like 33 markers are easier, there is only so much they can ask right? like for 17 markers i use to hate the childhood and demographic changes lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending