The Student Room Group

Is it right for me to receive a fine of £120?

I really don't know what to do on this matter as i was originally fined £40 for getting on a bus without my oyster card(i literally forgot my oyster at home) and emailed TFL about it, however, my response was not sufficient so they sent me a letter stating that they required more information within a specific time frame or they will increase the fine to £80. I stupidly, ignored the letter and did not count it as a big deal because i did not understand why they required more information when my sitauation was what it was-i literally forgot my oyster card and got on the bus before realising. Because of this my fine has now increased to £120.:frown:

This is a huge problem for me as when i got fined by the ticket inspector, he never asked for my age but just asked if i had a ticket and i failed to show it to him because i unintentionally left it at home so he charged me £40 to begin with which in my opinion is too much for a 17-year-old. I am now 18.:frown:

Edit: If i don't pay the fine of £120 within a matter of days, they will threaten to take me to court.:frown:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Blackstarr
I really don't know what to do on this matter as i was originally fined £40 for getting on a bus without my oyster card(i literally forgot my oyster at home) and emailed TFL about it, however, my response was not sufficient so they sent me a letter stating that they required more information within a specific time frame or they will increase the fine to £80. I stupidly, ignored the letter and did not count it as a big deal because i did not understand why they required more information when my sitauation was what it was-i literally forgot my oyster card and got on the bus before realising. Because of this my fine has now increased to £120.:frown:

This is a huge problem for me as when i got fined by the ticket inspector, he never asked for my age but just asked if i had a ticket and i failed to show it to him because i unintentionally left it at home so he charged me £40 to begin with which in my opinion is too much for a 17-year-old. I am now 18.:frown:

Write back saying you never received the letter you ignored
Reply 2
Fair? Probably not. Just? Absolutely.
Reply 3
Original post by M14B
Write back saying you never received the letter you ignored

Will this work out? what if they track that they actually sent the letter to my address?

Thanks for this suggestion and is there any other alternative.

I want to know my rights regarding this matter.
Reply 4
Original post by Profesh
Fair? Probably not. Just? Absolutely.

I don't think its fair either.:frown:

Do you know what i could do/say to them?
Will this work out? what if they track that they actually sent the letter to my address?

Thanks for this suggestion and is there any other alternative.

I want to know my rights regarding this matter.

For a letter to be tracked it must signed for.
Aren't you the person who started a thread about this ages ago, and we told you to suck it up and pay?

If you could get out of this stuff by saying you never received a letter everyone would do it.

Suck it up and pay.

Technically I guess what you did is fare evasion, which can land you with a fine of up to £1000.

Usually though, if you get a penalty fare, it's £80, reduced to £40 if paid within 14 days, otherwise you have 21 days for the £80. If you don't pay after 21 days, they will then take further action, and appeals should be sent within the 21 days.

Ignoring the letter was a big mistake, and you should've acted on it then. Do you still have the letter? If so, get back to them ASAP with the info on the letter, otherwise I would suggest contacting them again and explaining the entire situation, and await them to tell you what to do. Don't leave it now, otherwise it'll just get much much worse.

This page might help as well.
Reply 8
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Aren't you the person who started a thread about this ages ago, and we told you to suck it up and pay?

If you could get out of this stuff by saying you never received a letter everyone would do it.

Suck it up and pay.

I should have paid the £40 to begin with but silly me just did not take it seriously.

:frown:

I guess i will have to write to them stating i did not recceive the letter.:redface:
How did you get onto the bus without paying? How much was the journey?
I should have paid the £40 to begin with but silly me just did not take it seriously.

:frown:

I guess i will have to write to them stating i did not recceive the letter.:redface:

Yeah, you could throw out desperate and probably unsuccessful lies, or you could finally take some responsibility and pay the fine.

I don't know how you've got to this point without working out that the way that you solve this problem is to pay the fine.
Original post by mobbsy91
Technically I guess what you did is fare evasion, which can land you with a fine of up to £1000.

Usually though, if you get a penalty fare, it's £80, reduced to £40 if paid within 14 days, otherwise you have 21 days for the £80. If you don't pay after 21 days, they will then take further action, and appeals should be sent within the 21 days.

Ignoring the letter was a big mistake, and you should've acted on it then. Do you still have the letter? If so, get back to them ASAP with the info on the letter, otherwise I would suggest contacting them again and explaining the entire situation, and await them to tell you what to do. Don't leave it now, otherwise it'll just get much much worse.

This page might help as well.

Thanks and do you think, if i negotiate with them, the fine will be lowered to £40 or even totally erased?

At that time i was 17 but now i am 18 which makes the situation worse as i am technically an adult.:frown:
Thanks and do you think, if i negotiate with them, the fine will be lowered to £40 or even totally erased?

At that time i was 17 but now i am 18 which makes the situation worse as i am technically an adult.:frown:

I would probably say definitely not down to £40, but if they're nice, and it's not too long after the 21 days, they might keep it at £80 for you, rather than giving you a potentially even bigger fine.
Original post by morgan8002
How did you get onto the bus without paying? How much was the journey?

Its one of them London buses where you could go through the back and touch in with the reader.

I got on one of them buses through the second door and touched my oyster card pouch on the reader but it did not work so, i just decided to stay on the bus but unfortunatelly for me, the ticket inspecter boarded on the bus shortly after i got on it.:frown:

What if the whole ordeal of trying to erase it off/getting a discount takes too much time and you'd end up with something more serious than a £120 fine?
I would probably say definitely not down to £40, but if they're nice, and it's not too long after the 21 days, they might keep it at £80 for you, rather than giving you a potentially even bigger fine.

Hmmm...i guess my only option is to pay the fine.:frown:
Original post by BWV1007
What if the whole ordeal of trying to erase it off/getting a discount takes too much time and you'd end up with something more serious than a £120 fine?

It could be the case that once you put in an appeal, the 21 days is frozen until the appeal bit is completed. Not sure about that though, so I might be wrong.
Hmmm...i guess my only option is to pay the fine.:frown:

Well, I'd say you're probably going to have to pay the £80 definitely - can't really see you getting out of that unfortunately.
It could be the case that once you put in an appeal, the 21 days is frozen until the appeal bit is completed. Not sure about that though, so I might be wrong.

That's a risk I wouldn't take tbh.
Its one of them London buses where you could go through the back and touch in with the reader.

I got on one of them buses through the second door and touched my oyster card pouch on the reader but it did not work so, i just decided to stay on the bus but unfortunatelly for me, the ticket inspecter boarded on the bus shortly after i got on it.:frown:

How much was it?

Quick Reply

Latest