The Student Room Group

I'm hopeless at psychometric tests that grad recruiters use...

I am a graduate hoping to get onto graduate schemes or even land a job with a decent salary. Specifics aside- every-time I usually get past the online applications, however, I then get asked to do the standard psychometric tests.

Usually this has included a Literacy and Numeracy test. Generally, with Literacy I breeze through and I find it pretty simple.

With Maths I struggle, even with interpreting graphics (with some exceptions), because it takes me a long time to recall how to work out percentages and even basic arithmetic. Okay, yes so my Maths is utterly shocking and I usually end up sort of guessing 80% of the assessment questions as the pressure of the timer looms.

My GCSE profile wasn't so great, I got like an E or F., hence why on this occasion they sent me a numerical test to complete. I think I pretty much buggered up the test and guessed the majority. I feel like such a damn failure!

Academically, I am not strong in Maths never have been, and to think most grad employers seem to hire on this basis it frustrates me.

I have a degree in the arts, and the position I applied for relates more to this area, although it is in an IT corporation. I can't imagine they'd have me sitting there observing graphs as part of my job role, so why must something so mundane matter.

Surely they'd hire a statistician/Mathematician or some such person *relevant* for the job?

What advice would you give to me?

I feel its doubtful that with my dire ability in Maths that I will ever satisfy the criteria for a graduate job at all...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by royal1990
I am a graduate hoping to get onto graduate schemes or even land a job with a decent salary. Specifics aside- every-time I usually get past the online applications, however, I then get asked to do the standard psychometric tests.

Usually this has included a Literacy and Numeracy test. Generally, with Literacy I breeze through and I find it pretty simple.

With Maths I struggle, even with interpreting graphics (with some exceptions), because it takes me a long time to recall how to work out percentages and even basic arithmetic. Okay, yes so my Maths is utterly shocking and I usually end up sort of guessing 80% of the assessment questions as the pressure of the timer looms.

My GCSE profile wasn't so great, I got like an E or F., hence why on this occasion they sent me a numerical test to complete. I think I pretty much buggered up the test and guessed the majority. I feel like such a damn failure!

Academically, I am not strong in Maths never have been, and to think most grad employers seem to hire on this basis it frustrates me.

I have a degree in the arts, and the position I applied for relates more to this area, although it is in an IT corporation. I can't imagine they'd have me sitting there observing graphs as part of my job role, so why must something so mundane matter.

Surely they'd hire a statistician/Mathematician or some such person *relevant* for the job?

I feel its doubtful that with my dire ability in Maths that I will ever satisfy the criteria for a graduate job at all...

There are plenty of smaller companies who don't require you to go through tests first, instead they just want a CV & cover letter or written application- I suggest you focus on those. A grad scheme isnt the be all and end all.
Dont worry, there are plenty of us who fail those tests lol

Theres not much you can do about it, doubt you wanna go back to learning maths, as its been said, i would just focus on companies that want a CV and a cover letter.
Reply 3
Thanks for your responses so far....I'm feeling a bit down lately with the whole job search, it is very exhausting. I am working in my student job still, which is horrible and it gets me down. My well-being is taking a battering, but I'm only here for the salary so i can save up for a short break in summer.

I have an upcoming appointment tomorrow with Careers at my University, but I don't feel hopeful.
Don't even get me started on these recruitment processes they're god awful and I feel most grad recruiters are just taking the piss with what they're making desperate graduates do. I really questioned myself and it almost sent me to a state of mental depression when i started the graduate job hunt last summer when i failed every single interview i went to. I've now made the decision to just avoid going to anything with the words "assessment center".
You can improve you basic numeracy through self study, just practice. Your local college will also run courses aimed at helping you improve numeracy.
Mo meed to make a big thing of it, its just a straightforward hurdle that you can overcome. Until they offer you the job then you have to keep jumping their hurdles.

Get on a computer, go to a test prep website, buy a couple test packs to practice, practice them.. These tests aren't difficult content wise the only difficult thing in them is the time pressure - which you'll get used to if you practice.

Seriously, you learn this stuff in year 9-10, it should be easy enough to find YouTube videos on how to work through percentages, ratios etc.

So, get off TSR and stop ranting. Go practice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Get on a computer, go to a test prep website, buy a couple test packs to practice, practice them.. These tests aren't difficult content wise the only difficult thing in them is the time pressure - which you'll get used to if you practice.

Seriously, you learn this stuff in year 9-10, it should be easy enough to find YouTube videos on how to work through percentages, ratios etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can also get 15% off on canary wharfian if you google that.
Reply 8
I kinda gave up on those tests. It's mostly just mega companies that use those things anyway, where everyone turns into a company drone.

After dropping my IBM application (serious, their application form is a ****ing joke) all together, I found a cyber security job a couple of weeks after. Application was dead simple. Cover letter + CV + phone interview + skype interview then offer came through email.
Original post by J-SP
Any assessment is designed purposely to assess something deemed relevant to the job or working environment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

except it's nothing to do with the actual work you would be doing, half the time.

Yours isnt to argue, but to learn how to jump the fences as they make the rules.
Change your attitude.

Maths is useful in life generally.

Go and practice your math. Pscyhocmetric texts are something you can practice and get better at. If you cant teach yourself then go to your local college and enrol on basic math course.

the more tests you do the faster you get. Your competitirs know this , so either compete or dont try.
erm, you mentioned how you struggled to remember how to do all of this stuff. It's all gcse stuff.

Instead of complaining how the recruiters shouldn't test you on maths, see what kind of questions come up and learn it before you apply?

WHat other solution do you think you'll receive in this thread?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sterling silver advice as always off you :smile:
Original post by chosenone93
except it's nothing to do with the actual work you would be doing, half the time.

It's the skills rather than the work.

For example, an investment bank will make the assumption that you are alright with numbers to do the job and they will use these tests to gauge how true that is.

For law firms, they'll use logical reasoning tests to see if you have the base level of logical reasoning capabilities to do well as a solicitor.

Sure, they're a screen for the most part but their purpose is to test for skills not experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Btw OP by not taking responsibility and just dealing with a weakness you are denying yourself the chance to apply for some of the best jobs, which is crazy.
Original post by J-SP
But relevant to the other half of the job then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

my point is the assessments they make you do are not relevant half the time.
It's the skills rather than the work.

For example, an investment bank will make the assumption that you are alright with numbers to do the job and they will use these tests to gauge how true that is.

For law firms, they'll use logical reasoning tests to see if you have the base level of logical reasoning capabilities to do well as a solicitor.

Sure, they're a screen for the most part but their purpose is to test for skills not experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

and if its not investment banks or law? i don't go for any of those jobs yet still run into these logical reasoning assessments.
Original post by volatilityskew2
You can also get 15% off on canary wharfian if you google that.

Could you give me a link - I am already a member of canary wharfian and literally bought a pack of tests back in october / november from assessment day and didn't see anything about discounts on the CW-ian site haha
well i'm no good at them but i don't doubt i can do the actual job with good enough trainning , just let me vent please
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by J-SP
But relevant to the other half of the job then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ehm. Many firms are pretty blunt as to why they use these tests. In nearly all circumstances they are in place simply to sieve out applications, as a human would never have time to read all of them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending