The Student Room Group

Please help me work out this C1 - Coordinate Geometry Question

Question: The straight line joining the point P(5, 6) to the point Q(q, 2) is perpendicular to the straight line joining the point Q to the point R(9, -1).
Calculate the possible values for q

Watched a few videos and read the examples from the book the question comes in but I can't figure out the right steps to go through for this question.

Any help much appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by ghosteh
Question: The straight line joining the point P(5, 6) to the point Q(q, 2) is perpendicular to the straight line joining the point Q to the point R(9, -1).
Calculate the possible values for q

Watched a few videos and read the examples from the book the question comes in but I can't figure out the right steps to go through for this question.

Any help much appreciated.

What's the gradient of the line PQ in terms of q? It's 625q\frac{6-2}{5-q}.

What about the gradient of QR? It's 21??\frac{2 -- 1}{? - ?}.

Now you know that if they are perpendicular then the product of these two gradients is 1-1.

i.e: 625q×2+1??=1\frac{6-2}{5-q} \times \frac{2 + 1}{? - ?} = -1. Now solve for qq.
always try & do a sketch. with 2 dimensional coordinates it is straightforward.
Reply 3
Original post by Zacken

i.e: 625q×2+1??=1\frac{6-2}{5-q} \times \frac{2 + 1}{? - ?} = -1. Now solve for qq.

Thanks for the reply, I have got that far on my own and this is where I am stuck. I can't seem to rearrange or multiply this out to make sense of it.

Could you do the steps for me so I can see it. There is another question in the book which is very similar, so I can work through that one afterwards to see if I've understood.
Reply 4
Original post by ghosteh
Thanks for the reply, I have got that far on my own and this is where I am stuck. I can't seem to rearrange or multiply this out to make sense of it.

Could you do the steps for me so I can see it. There is another question in the book which is very similar, so I can work through that one afterwards to see if I've understood.

Do you know how to multiply fractions? This should form a quadratic.
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken
Do you know how to multiply fractions? This should form a quadratic.

12 divided by -q^2 + 14q - 45 = - 1

rearrange gets 12 = q^2 -14q + 45

q^2 - 14q + 33 = 0

(q - 11) (q - 3)

q = 11 or 3

-----------

going back and substituting in those values I will find the products of the gradients = -1
Reply 6
Original post by ghosteh
12 divided by -q^2 + 14q - 45 = - 1

rearrange gets 12 = q^2 -14q + 45

q^2 - 14q + 33 = 0

(q - 11) (q - 3)

q = 11 or 3

-----------

going back and substituting in those values I will find the products of the gradients = -1

So that's correct, then. Well done! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Zacken
So that's correct, then. Well done! :smile:

Looking at it, I have no idea why I didn't just go through that straight away. Brain block.

I suppose I should say thank you for not answering my question :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by ghosteh
Looking at it, I have no idea why I didn't just go through that straight away. Brain block.

I suppose I should say thank you for not answering my question :smile:

That's what TSR is here for, to nudge and guide. Had I given you the full solution, you'd have been spoilt of the chance to get at it yourself. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest