The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NickLCFC
Just because people can't identify with identify with English history, it doesn't mean they automatically regard it as a foreign country. A lot of Brits with foreign ancestry already identify with their foreign culture and heritage but that doesn't mean they don't 'consent to be governed as one country'. You're overreacting massively.

And some of those people murder British servicemen in the streets.

When post-1945 immigrant descended people are a majority of the population, do you expect this country is still going to be a museum for the pre-1945 descended population, run by and for them?

Basically, you want to portray English history completely inaccurately in the name of political correctness. You want to lie to other races to give them the impression they were somehow involved in English history. All because of the unrealistic scenarios you are suggesting will happen if we don't do this.

No, I'm not a leftist, and don't agree with them at all about what's correct. I do however recognise history as a tool of social policy. History is used to form national myths. Britain has a big problem in that its national myth is primarily based on history rather than ideology (unlike in e.g. the US), and therefore not very accessible to people whose families were obviously not part of that history. While I think it would have been best just not to have brought in large numbers of immigrants at all, we are where we are, and making this myth accessible to everyone is necessary.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by misslovinggrace
Technically speaking BBC is funded by tax payers. So you will eventually have to pay them...

The BBC is not funded by tax payers.
Original post by Observatory
And some of those people murder British servicemen in the streets.

When post-1945 immigrant descended people are a majority of the population, do you expect this country is still going to be a museum for the pre-1945 descended population, run by and for them?

You're so deluded. I expect history to represented accurately regardless of who is the majority of the population. I expect Nelson Mandela to be cast as a black guy and I expect a Queen of England to be cast a white woman. It's that simple.

By the way, it's nice to see you acknowledging the cultural genocide of the UK and acting like it isn't an issue.

Original post by Observatory
No, I'm not a leftist, and don't agree with them at all about what's correct. I do however recognise history as a tool of social policy. History is used to form national myths. Britain has a big problem in that its national myth is primarily based on history rather than ideology (unlike in e.g. the US), and therefore not very accessible to people whose families were obviously not part of that history. While I think it would have been best just not to have brought in large numbers of immigrants at all, we are where we are, and making this myth accessible to everyone is necessary.

You want to intentionally reshape history to satisfy minorities.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TercioOfParma
I never said it should be punishable by death, I think a recast is in order though. You don't see white people casting black characters in "entertainment" do you?

Joseph Fiennes is playing Michael Jackson..
Joseph Fiennes is playing Michael Jackson..

Michael Jackson had surgery to change his skin
Original post by Maker
The BBC is not funded by tax payers.

True, but it is still funded by the TV licence people so in order to watch TV you still (indirectly) give the BBC money.
Reply 46
All the racists makes me laugh. I think only actors who can trace their ancestors back to the iron age should be able to play British people.
Original post by NickLCFC

By the way, it's nice to see you acknowledging the cultural genocide of the UK and acting like it isn't an issue.

Right, so I take it that you're not a multiculturalist, but you don't want recent immigrants to integrate fully into our culture, either.

You aren't thinking this through. You can't have it both ways.
Reply 48
True, but it is still funded by the TV licence people so in order to watch TV you still (indirectly) give the BBC money.

I think its better to admit error then flail around denying you are wrong.
Original post by Maker
All the racists makes me laugh. I think only actors who can trace their ancestors back to the iron age should be able to play British people.

That wasn't really the point. The actor doesn't even have to be English.
Reply 50
All those white European people playing Biblical characters like Jesus and Mary should be replaced with people from the middle east.
Reply 51
A black man should play Hitler next time in a film, while a white would need to cast ML King. That would be fair.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Right, so I take it that you're not a multiculturalist, but you don't want recent immigrants to integrate fully into our culture, either.

You aren't thinking this through. You can't have it both ways.

I don't have a problem with immigration, I have a problem with mass immigration.

I never said I don't want immigrants to integrate fully into our culture either. I'm saying you don't need to inaccurately portray history so that they can integrate.
When are the BBC going to fix the lack of East Asians in EastEnders?
I'm sure they could introduce a Chinese family who own a takeaway in Walford.
It's utterly ridiculous.
Original post by Dinasaurus
Even JK Rowling was fine with the Hermione thing, she even said she never even originally stated Hermione's race.

Also there's less outrage because far more people know about Hollywood blockbusters with A list actors in than they know about some BBC period drama or w/e it is.

I don't care either way, but she does actually. Things like Hermione having a sun tan or blushing red, plus Rowling's own concept art, indicate she clearly envisions Hermione as white.
Same with Lavender Brown (people were accusing the film makers of whitewashing because apparently she was played by a black extra in the first film), there's a passage in Half-Blood Prince where Lavender and Ron are sucking face so passionately that Harry can't tell them apart.

Ultimately I've got no issue with these sort of castings if it happened naturally through auditions. I'd take issue however if the BBC were like 'right for the sake of promoting multiculturalism we've got to have this white character be made black,' or something.
Original post by Maker

So by that logic, you would be ok if colin firth played nelson Mandela or if John Wayne played emperor Meiji?

He has a skin pigmentation condition that caused his skin to lose its colour. As far as I know he was content being black. To me, him being played by a white person is just as inaccurate as the queen being played by the black lady. So don't chat ****..
Original post by pol pot noodles
I don't care either way, but she does actually. Things like Hermione having a sun tan or blushing red, plus Rowling's own concept art, indicate she clearly envisions Hermione as white.
Same with Lavender Brown (people were accusing the film makers of whitewashing because apparently she was played by a black extra in the first film), there's a passage in Half-Blood Prince where Lavender and Ron are sucking face so passionately that Harry can't tell them apart.

Ultimately I've got no issue with these sort of castings if it happened naturally through auditions. I'd take issue however if the BBC were like 'right for the sake of promoting multiculturalism we've got to have this white character be made black,' or something.

Non-white people can go red and get a tan as well.

Did he?
Original post by Maker
I think its better to admit error then flail around denying you are wrong.

Did I not say you were right and it was true :colonhash:

Latest

Trending

Trending