The Student Room Group

How to ruin a friendship?

Ok so I have really got to find a way to ruin the friendship which exists between my family and my ex girlfriends family.

Me and my ex broke up three years ago and I'm completely over that, but the thing I hate is that our families are still friends, even though were not. My sister has invited them all, including my ex, to her 2017 wedding, so I must seek a way to ruin this friendship once and for all.

I don't wanna see my ex ever again and her family, who turned their backs on me after the breakup, I don't want them having any communication with my family.

I am over her and all I want is to never see her again.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Get them to play a game of monopoly
This is so easy it's pointless to comment:

Play FIFA and score a Jew goal???

Duhh!!!
Original post by C-rated
Get them to play a game of monopoly

He's not wrong
Think of the one thing your family hates, and then make them it.
I can completely understand why you are not happy with the present situation, unfortunately, I don't think there is any way for you to 'ruin' it without potentially alienating yourself from your family. Your best bet is to be honest. Tell your sister how you feel about the wedding. Tell your family that you are not comfortable with them remaining in contact because your ex's family have remained loyal to their daughter and not tried to chum up with you since. I guess your sister might say she is going to stay friends with her, but, I think inviting her to the wedding is unfair and you should not have to see her again. So maybe tell your sister that? Do you think it'd be too late for them to be uninvited?
Haveyou talked to your family?

Maybe they dont need your permission and are old enough to consider who they can and cant be friends with?
Talk to my sister? I've already been down that road and yet she's still invited.

Original post by JinxedOut
I can completely understand why you are not happy with the present situation, unfortunately, I don't think there is any way for you to 'ruin' it without potentially alienating yourself from your family. Your best bet is to be honest. Tell your sister how you feel about the wedding. Tell your family that you are not comfortable with them remaining in contact because your ex's family have remained loyal to their daughter and not tried to chum up with you since. I guess your sister might say she is going to stay friends with her, but, I think inviting her to the wedding is unfair and you should not have to see her again. So maybe tell your sister that? Do you think it'd be too late for them to be uninvited?
Im not sure theres much you can do tbh.
Youre gonna need to speak to your sister about the situation. Tell her hoe uncomfortable you are with them coming and see if she will do something about it.
She will care about how your feeling more than the other family so she should be able to do something about it!
Also speak to your parents about how uncomforable you are with the current situation.
You dont deserve to have to see her again and you clearly want to avoid her!
Good Luck!!
Not to say I condone it, but look at the TV show Magnificent Century where the characters sabotage each other's lives all the time.
Reply 10
i know your struggle
If you have talked to your sister and she has decided to invite them to the wedding, then its her wedding. You can choose not to attend though.
If you tell people not to do something, then they tend to ask why or resist. Your only chance is to explain how you feel and how disloyal and hyrtful their behaviour is otherwise they might thing you are behaving like a child in a big sulk.
Reply 12
Original post by Coolisbelieveing
Ok so I have really got to find a way to ruin the friendship which exists between my family and my ex girlfriends family.

Me and my ex broke up three years ago and I'm completely over that, but the thing I hate is that our families are still friends, even though were not. My sister has invited them all, including my ex, to her 2017 wedding, so I must seek a way to ruin this friendship once and for all.

I don't wanna see my ex ever again and her family, who turned their backs on me after the breakup, I don't want them having any communication with my family.

this is what you should do. make it out as your ex and her family only agreed to go to the wedding to prove to you that their wishes are more important than yours. then get in an argument with ( several arguments and confrontations) them let the tension heighten to breaking point and the rest will work itself out. or they just wont go. your welcome
Reply 13
you need to reiterate that your her brother and if they go you wont go trust me she would prefer you to be there then anyone else she might not seem convinced but do it trust me
That was a bit selfish of your sister without meaning to sound judgemental.

Either that or a complete lack of communication on your behalf.

Because if I were you, I'd have made it plainly obvious to my immediate family that I feel uncomfortable with their friendship with my ex's family. And I also would have made it clear how uncomfortable I would feel having my ex at my sisters wedding. Or really, it shouldn't have to even be said.

If that was the case, and you actually communicated with your family, then your sister should have at least asked you. After all siblings are more important than a friendship with the family of a siblings ex.

But, if you hadn't even communicated with your family, and sat there suffering in silence then you have none of my sympathy, and it's your fault. I never understand families who don't communicate with eachother.

And if that is the case, rather than making a silly scheme to split the friendship (this isn't Gossip Girl) try talking to your damn sister.
Keep telling your family their family wants them to call or something, keep getting them together till they get sick of each other.
If they hate you, then why do they like your family? Surely they'd decline the invitation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 67k
you need to reiterate that your her brother and if they go you wont go trust me she would prefer you to be there then anyone else she might not seem convinced but do it trust me

Ofc that kind of blackmail and foot stomping can backfire. You have no idea whether they will give in to his demands. Ultimatums are a risky game and can have the opposite effect. He doesnt have to go, but its not his wedding and his sister can choose. I would opt out its only a wedding.
Take a **** on your ex girlfriends mums driveway
Trust me it works
Original post by Coolisbelieveing

easy plan her death

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending