The Student Room Group

Grades to get into Tiffin Girls School for sixth form?

Hello! I recently got a conditional offer to Tiffin Girls School and upon meeting them, they told me that I must reach my predicted grades to get in. The predicted grades I put down were:

Physics - A*
Chemistry - A*
Biology - A*
Maths - A*
English Language - A*
English Literature - A*
Music - A*
Geography -A*
R.S. - A*
French - A
General Studies - I got entered into the exam after I sent in my application, so this subject isn't part of my target grades.

The school said I must get my 9 A*s, but they can be from any subject (the only ones I MUST get an A* in are maths and physics as I am taking them for A-Levels, but they're very easy). They also told me that even if I don't get my 9 A*s but I get very close to it, there is a possibility they may still accept me into their sixth form.

I'm fairly confident in my ability to reach these targets, however I just want to know how much leeway I have in case I don't reach them. What's the minimum amount of A*s they want, for example? Does anybody know?

Thank you for reading!
(edited 7 years ago)
Although I don't know about the school personally, most schools will turn you away if you don't meet the requirements - like if you got 5 A*s. I would probably say they would give you 1/2 A* leeway at most. If you don't get in and you don't have a back up sixth form with those predicted grades you could still get into very good school.
Original post by Bunnell
Hello! I recently got a conditional offer to Tiffin Girls School and upon meeting them, they told me that I must reach my predicted grades to get in. The predicted grades I put down were:

Physics - A*
Chemistry - A*
Biology - A*
Maths - A*
English Language - A*
English Literature - A*
Music - A*
Geography -A*
R.S. - A*
French - A
General Studies - I got entered into the exam after I sent in my application, so this subject isn't part of my target grades.

The school said I must get my 8 A*s, but they can be from any subject (the only ones I MUST get an A* in are maths and physics as I am taking them for A-Levels, but they're very easy). They also told me that even if I don't get my 8 A*s but I get very close to it, there is a possibility they may still accept me into their sixth form.

I'm fairly confident in my ability to reach these targets, however I just want to know how much leeway I have in case I don't reach them. What's the minimum amount of A*s they want, for example? Does anybody know?

Thank you for reading!

I used to live in Kingston and i went to CGS :smile: but then i moved wow those are really really high predictions
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Bunnell

Physics - A*
Chemistry - A*
Biology - A*
Maths - A*
English Language - A*
English Literature - A*
Music - A*
Geography -A*
R.S. - A*
French - A

The school said I must get my 8 A*s, but they can be from any subject (the only ones I MUST get an A* in are maths and physics as I am taking them for A-Levels, but they're very easy). They also told me that even if I don't get my 8 A*s but I get very close to it, there is a possibility they may still accept me into their sixth form.

Thank you for reading!

Hi! I have a conditional offer as well :smile:

My school predicted me 10 A*s (which I'm pleased with, but is also incredibly stressful) and so Tiffin said that in order to guarantee my place, I have to achieve them. However, it was implied (though not said officially) that if that dropped by 1 (maybe 2) A*s, I would be more likely to achieve my place than not.

The official line I think is that after all the people who achieve their offer accept their place, they hand out the remaining places based on how close people were (ie if you were offered 10 and got 9 you would be closer in line than someone offered 8 who achieved 6). But I'm not entirely sure.

The very minimum I have to achieve is 7A*s with at least 2 of them in Maths, Chemistry and Biology as I am taking those (plus History) for A-Level.

Hope that helped! Send me a PM if you want to discuss Tiffin further :smile:
Wow, that's tough. I applied for Tiffins Boys School for Sixth Form earlier on this year. When I had my interview, they gave me a conditional offer of an A*, like 4 As and 3 Bs. I was completely thrown off as they seemed like the type of school to ask for all A-A*s.
Original post by HurtfulHarold
Wow, that's tough. I applied for Tiffins Boys School for Sixth Form earlier on this year. When I had my interview, they gave me a conditional offer of an A*, like 4 As and 3 Bs. I was completely thrown off as they seemed like the type of school to ask for all A-A*s.

I guess as they are separate schools they have different entry policies...

But lucky! Are you going then?
Original post by metellaest
I guess as they are separate schools they have different entry policies...

But lucky! Are you going then?

I should be able to get the grades but I doubt I'd accept the offer. It would be a 30 minute bus ride every day and I'm not sure if I'm up for that. Furthermore, the teaching at my secondary school ranges from okay to excellent so I'll probably just stay at my sixth form.
I should be able to get the grades but I doubt I'd accept the offer. It would be a 30 minute bus ride every day and I'm not sure if I'm up for that. Furthermore, the teaching at my secondary school ranges from okay to excellent so I'll probably just stay at my sixth form.

Ah, right. Good luck with your GCSEs anyway :smile:
Ah, right. Good luck with your GCSEs anyway :smile:

Cheers, you too!
Reply 9
Hi! I have a conditional offer as well :smile:

My school predicted me 10 A*s (which I'm pleased with, but is also incredibly stressful) and so Tiffin said that in order to guarantee my place, I have to achieve them. However, it was implied (though not said officially) that if that dropped by 1 (maybe 2) A*s, I would be more likely to achieve my place than not.

The official line I think is that after all the people who achieve their offer accept their place, they hand out the remaining places based on how close people were (ie if you were offered 10 and got 9 you would be closer in line than someone offered 8 who achieved 6). But I'm not entirely sure.

The very minimum I have to achieve is 7A*s with at least 2 of them in Maths, Chemistry and Biology as I am taking those (plus History) for A-Level.

Hope that helped! Send me a PM if you want to discuss Tiffin further :smile:

Ah, I see! The way you explained it makes sense. 10 A*s seems pretty stressful to achieve; how many GCSEs are you doing?

what were your predicted grades?
Only ten! So there's no room to drop below in any of them :frown:

I'm taking Add Maths FSMQ as well but it doesn't count as you can't get an A* in it...
Original post by Username3097486
what were your predicted grades?

All A-A*s. Sorry, I don't know the specifics.
I was predicted by my school (in special measures) to get B's and A's and no A*'s for anything to keep the pressure low but of course that didn't get me a place. On the letter it said if you get more than 7 A*'s, you might have a chance of getting on the tougher courses.

In actuality, i'm reaching close to 10/11 A*'s- do you think if i achieve the majority of these they will allocate me a place?
Hi! I also have a place at tiffin girls but I don't know whether I want to go or not - if you get the grades, will you definitely go?:smile: (I also need to get 9A*s but idk if I got them)
Original post by Queen_beee
Hi! I also have a place at tiffin girls but I don't know whether I want to go or not - if you get the grades, will you definitely go?:smile: (I also need to get 9A*s but idk if I got them)

Hi - were you at the Induction Afternoon today? If so, how did you find it?
Yeah I was, wbu (if you went, how did you find it)? I found it okay tbh, I think I was obviously a bit out of my comfort zone because I was around a bunch of people I don't know, but overall I felt it went alright. The people seemed nice enough but I'm still not sure if I want to go, even though I know that logically I should because tiffins is a better school! Basically I feel totally confused about what to do 😒

Are you defo gonna go if you get the grades?:smile:
I found it okay - but it felt a little Unorganised, and they didn't really say much I didn't already know! Are you doing a chemistry day as well?

It depends - I will almost certainly go if I get the grades, unless I can get a scholarship to this other different school (which is very unlikely). You? 😀
(edited 7 years ago)
I found it okay - but it felt a little Unorganised, and they didn't really say much I didn't already know! Are you doing a chemistry day as well?

It depends - I will almost certainly go if I get the grades, unless I can get a scholarship to this other different school (which is very unlikely). You? ������

Yeah I agree with you - I thought it was a little disorganised but it was interesting to see all the forms! I'm not doing the chemistry day but I'm doing the Spanish day, I don't really know what to expect :-/ how was your chemistry day?

I'm 50/50 about going or staying (and it's driving me crazy because I can't make my mind up!) - a big part of me wants to stay at my current school. It's quite a good school but obviously not as good as tiffins and part of me knows it's logical to go to tiffins but idek :frown: both have their pros and cons... hopefully the Spanish day will help me decide

Quick Reply

Latest