The Student Room Group

Dealing with Scars

I've just came back from Hospital and the Doc gave me awful news.
I have Keloid Scars on my Chest and they obviously look horrible and ugly.
Apparently my body heals in that way, and they don't know why.
I've had it since I was a kid, I'm now a young adult.
I've been on pills, had creams and the injections, but nothing works =[
If they cut them out, they'll grow back bigger and worse.
Any cut deeper than say a paper cut gives off this reaction and now gives me another horrifying unsightly scar on my body.
Apparently I was born with this condition and all they know is it's "common in Black People" - but I'm whiter than white.
It seems I was always destined to be freak. A monstrosity. I get life isn't fair, but why am I afflicted with this when there are bad people out there happy?

How am I supposed to deal with being a Monster? An inhuman freak?
How do other people deal with it?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wackadoodle
Any cut deeper than say a paper cut gives off this reaction and now gives me another horrifying unsightly scar on my body.
Apparently I was born with this condition and all they know is it's "common in Black People" - but I'm whiter than white.
It seems I was always destined to be freak. A monstrosity. I get life isn't fair, but why am I afflicted with this when there are bad people out there happy?

How am I supposed to deal with being a ****ing Monster? An inhuman freak?
How do other Abominations deal with it?

Have you ever thought about getting some counselling or therapy for how you feel about your appearance? It seems like you have some really horrible opinions about yourself which can't be nice at all. Maybe going to see someone about it would really help?

I have scarring but on my back. Yes it is really hard to deal with, but with the right help you can accept your appearance. I did and I never thought I could.

talk to your family and a therapist

Good luck , you are NOT a monster
Reply 3
Original post by bullettheory
Have you ever thought about getting some counselling or therapy for how you feel about your appearance? It seems like you have some really horrible opinions about yourself which can't be nice at all. Maybe going to see someone about it would really help?

Original post by im.a.witch
I have scarring but on my back. Yes it is really hard to deal with, but with the right help you can accept your appearance. I did and I never thought I could.

talk to your family and a therapist

Good luck , you are NOT a monster

You're lucky it's on your back and you don't have to look at it every day.
Yeah I've been to seen people and gotten antidepressants. Problems is I'm not mentally ill, I'm not chemically imbalanced, I'm physically deformed =[ I'm not lie everyone else, so I'm not normal.
I'm a freak, and no one knows why and no one can help.
I've spoke to councellors and they just say to try and accept myself or look at myself in a different way.
I could pretend I was a millionaire too, but that wouldn't make it true.
You can't say "oh shucks it doesn't exist" Or "it's not too bad" when I'm forced to face it in a mirror every day.

I have a keloid scar on my chest. It has never bothered me because I assumed I could get it removed at some point but what you say worries me
Reply 5
Original post by Venusian Visitor
I have a keloid scar on my chest. It has never bothered me because I assumed I could get it removed at some point but what you say worries me

You can't. You're marked, branded for life.

Well thanks for ruining my day.
Reply 7

What about getting a tattoo over it? There's some on Google images that cover it well, e.g. https://i.ytimg.com/vi/2-o1LaOcAPc/hqdefault.jpg (though obviously design depends on placement and size). Make sure you go somewhere reputable that'll do a good job.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Well thanks for ruining my day.

Yeah sorry about that.

Original post by JoeTSR
What about getting a tattoo over it? There's some on Google images that cover it well.

Apparently you should never cut them or tattoo them or anything like that, I think it's due to fear of infection or it stimulates growth, but honestly I'm not too sure.
For me, that would require extensive cover up, and don't have cash nor the pain threshold to do like a whole chest or something that would ended up being needed.
Reply 9

Don't call me a ****ing abomination. I've got a massive scar going from top to bottom off my back. I'm not a monster for that.
Yeah sorry about that.

Apparently you should never cut them or tattoo them or anything like that, I think it's due to fear of infection or it stimulates growth, but honestly I'm not too sure.
For me, that would require extensive cover up, and don't have cash nor the pain threshold to do like a whole chest or something that would ended up being needed.

This is my scar by the way. A-am I a monster?
scar.PNG
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
This is my scar by the way. A-am I a monster?
scar.PNG

Original post by tailred
Don't call me a ****ing abomination. I've got a massive scar going from top to bottom off my back. I'm not a monster for that.

Yours doesn't look too bad, and I assume it's just the one? Shame about the place it can't be covered easily. Mine are all over my chest and horrible.

Call yourselves what makes you feel better.
I get it, I was cursed as an Abomination, marked for life.
I look in the mirror and know I'm not normal. Not like everyone else. Are you?
That's what you have to ask yourself. Does everyone else have these horrible ugly scars, or is a just a very small few people?

I think you're looking at this wrong.

I have about 250 scars and I've felt like you in the past but you know, there's no point beating yourself up about something you can't change. It sounds like such a cliche but look at the good things in your life. For instance, I'm happily married to a beautiful woman, I have a masters with merit, I'm studying a second reputable course at a good uni, I have 2 lovely cats, a family that loves me, and I feel happy and content with my life.

Who gives a **** if I have scarring? It has never held me back. We all get dealt different cards but we make the best of what we have.

then logic dictates that you don't do that if you don't want bigger scars -.-

whiter than white eh? maybe albino?
Reply 14
Original post by Sabertooth

I have about 250 scars and I've felt like you in the past but you know, there's no point beating yourself up about something you can't change. It sounds like such a cliche but look at the good things in your life. For instance, I'm happily married to a beautiful woman, I have a masters with merit, I'm studying a second reputable course at a good uni, I have 2 lovely cats, a family that loves me, and I feel happy and content with my life.

Who gives a **** if I have scarring? It has never held me back. We all get dealt different cards but we make the best of what we have.

And that's all I hear from people. "Oh so-and-so has it/something worse but is doing great with a wife/kids/dream job/mansion"
Great for you.
I, on the other hand can't get past people an abomination. A Freak to everyone. 7 Trillion people on this planet and it just so happens I'm one the freaks. Destined due to the way I heal or some stupid ****.
I have none of that and no hope for a normal future. Whats the point? =[

Original post by thefatone
then logic dictates that you don't do that if you don't want bigger scars -.-

whiter than white eh? maybe albino?

Which is one of the reasons I'm upset - they can't be cut out.
And it's just an expression.
(edited 7 years ago)

"just b urself" tier advice is unhelpful.
And tat's all I hear from people. "Oh son-and-so has it/something worse but is doing great with a wife/kids/dream job/mansion"
Great for you.
I, on the other hand can't get past people an abomination. A Freak to everyone. 7 Trillion people on this planet and it just so happens I'm one the freaks. Destined due to the way I heal or some stupid ****.

*billion

Dude, every single one of those 7 billion people has something that makes them a "freak".

When I was a kid it was my dream to join the army - however, I have hemophilia so absolutely no chance of ever achieving that dream. I got over it and decided to be a police officer instead - I have the degree for it. You know what? I developed schizophrenia so again I have no chance. And you talk to me about being a "freak"? I take 11 pills a day, like I said, I also have scarring like you, but it hasn't held me back.

It's not about who "has it worse", I thought you'd think that was what I meant but it's not. It's about dealing with what you have. I'm not saying that what's going on in my life is worse than what you've got going on, just that even if you're dealt shitty cards you can still make something of yourself; you're the only one holding yourself back here.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yours doesn't look too bad, and I assume it's just the one? Shame about the place it can't be covered easily. Mine are all over my chest and horrible.

Call yourselves what makes you feel better.
I get it, I was cursed as an Abomination, marked for life.
I look in the mirror and know I'm not normal. Not like everyone else. Are you?
That's what you have to ask yourself. Does everyone else have these horrible ugly scars, or is a just a very small few people?

Regarding me as a monster or abomination because of my scar is stupid. Why? Because my scar does not define who i am. Reason because it is a scar. The scar is a singular representation, of one occurence in my life. It's not me. The scar is not negative either. You are just irrational and should not be trying to pass this irrationality onto others. You feel like ****, feel that way yourself.
Reply 18
*billionDude, every single one of those 7 billion people has something that makes them a "freak".When I was a kid it was my dream to join the army - however, I have hemophilia so absolutely no chance of ever achieving that dream. I got over it and decided to be a police officer instead - I have the degree for it. You know what? I developed schizophrenia so again I have no chance. And you talk to me about being a "freak"? I take 11 pills a day, like I said, I also have scarring like you, but it hasn't held me back.It's not about who "has it worse", I thought you'd think that was what I meant but it's not. It's about dealing with what you have. I'm not saying that what's going on in my life is worse than what you've got going on, just that even if you're dealt shitty cards you can still make something of yourself; you're the only one holding yourself back here.

It was never my intent to make it a "who has it worse contest".
I'm just sick of being a freak. I get what your saying, what everyone sayings, but I just look in the mirror and see a freak. Everyone else who looks at it would see a freak too.

The whole reason I'm posting was for the title, how to deal with it, I think we've all got sidetracked.

Ignoring it doesn't work.
Knowing people out there are worse off than me - doesn't help or anything, find I'm selfish, so be it, but fine, it doesn't do anything I'm still hideous.
I'm finding it hard to deal with never ever being a normal person.

Original post by tailred
Regarding me as a monster or abomination because of my scar is stupid. Why? Because my scar does not define who i am. Reason because it is a scar. The scar is a singular representation, of one occurence in my life. It's not me. The scar is not negative either. You are just irrational and should not be trying to pass this irrationality onto others. You feel like ****, feel that way yourself.

I didn't come on your thread, specifically ask your opinion then moaned when I didn't like the answer :colonhash:
What do you care what I think?
It was never my intent to make it a "who has it worse contest".
I'm just sick of being a freak. I get what your saying, what everyone sayings, but I just look in the mirror and see a freak. Everyone else who looks at it would see a freak too.

The whole reason I'm posting was for the title, how to deal with it, I think we've all got sidetracked.

Ignoring it doesn't work.
Knowing people out there are worse off than me - doesn't help or anything, find I'm selfish, so be it, but fine, it doesn't do anything I'm still hideous.
I'm finding it hard to deal with never ever being a normal person.

I didn't come on your thread, specifically ask your opinion then moaned when I didn't like the answer :colonhash:
What do you care what I think?

Silly. This thread is public. I can say what i want. If you do not like it, don't make a thread. Regarding people with scars or abnormal bodily variations as abominations is silly.

Quick Reply

Latest