The Student Room Group

University of Birmingham or Cardiff University?

I am fortunate enough to be in the position, where I have offers for A100 medicine (5years) from both institutions. I don't have the time to visit either university and I've left it a bit late but I need to make a choice by the 4th of May. Would any one be able to give me some pros and cons of either uni to aid my decision?

Thanks
Reply 1
I'm at Birmingham and my brother went to Cardiff, albeit a few years ago. I can see why it would be hard to choose - they're both similarly structured courses with an academic emphasis, and will appeal to a lot of the same applicants.

One big difference between the two unis is placements when you come to clinical years. Birmingham has some of the closest hospital placements of any uni, with only one small hospital that's more than an hour away. Cardiff, by contrast, has some of the farthest placements, going all the way up into North Wales.
B'ham.
Reply 3
Original post by anus.pimple
I am fortunate enough to be in the position, where I have offers for A100 medicine (5years) from both institutions. I don't have the time to visit either university and I've left it a bit late but I need to make a choice by the 4th of May. Would any one be able to give me some pros and cons of either uni to aid my decision?

Thanks

Original post by Ghotay
I'm at Birmingham and my brother went to Cardiff, albeit a few years ago. I can see why it would be hard to choose - they're both similarly structured courses with an academic emphasis, and will appeal to a lot of the same applicants.

One big difference between the two unis is placements when you come to clinical years. Birmingham has some of the closest hospital placements of any uni, with only one small hospital that's more than an hour away. Cardiff, by contrast, has some of the farthest placements, going all the way up into North Wales.

Far away placements are a huge tick in the pro-Cardiff column :biggrin:

Here are a few photos from my Neurology block which I did in Bangor this time last year.
Reply 4
Original post by Elwyn

Here are a few photos from my Neurology block which I did in Bangor this time last year.

I agree with you actually. My brother did foundation in Wrexham as it was his favourite placement at undergrad, even though he had crazy competitive scores. But I also know lots of people would rather iron their own ears than live in the valleys, which is why I said difference rather than advantage/disadvantage :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by Ghotay
I agree with you actually. My brother did foundation in Wrexham as it was his favourite placement at undergrad, even though he had crazy competitive scores. But I also know lots of people would rather iron their own ears than live in the valleys, which is why I said difference rather than advantage/disadvantage :wink:

I was born/bred/currently live in and am doing foundation in the valleys - but I know what you mean :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by Ghotay

Bro, you're literally like my medicine spirit guide. Do you know anything about the cities or campuses that should affect my decision. I've seen some of the bham accommodation like the vale and it looks great but I haven't been around Cardiff.
Reply 7
Original post by Rhetorical Hips
B'ham.

Cheers man. Any particular reason why?
Reply 8
Original post by Elwyn

Thanks for the help bro, what's the city of Cardiff like? The campus and the MedSoc too? How lively is it and how active is the MedSoc?
Thanks for the help bro, what's the city of Cardiff like? The campus and the MedSoc too? How lively is it and how active is the MedSoc?

Birmingham is a very nice area and its going through some major redevelopments and should look very nice by the the time its don however thats just the city centre moving out the city its kinda average looking however you may dislike the accent
Reply 10

I could go on forever listing all the good things about Cardiff. But heres a quick summary. It's a very cheap city to live in. It's very friendly (I always feel safe in Cardiff). It's quite small but still has all the amenities that you would expect from a Capital city. Good transport links mean that you can get out of the city and into the mountains for a hike or to the beach for a walk within an hour. It also has plenty of nightlife, which is obviously essential to a student city.

The Medical School is based at a new building in The university Hospital of Wales, which has state of the art teaching facilities and an excellent library.

And finally, yes, the MedSoc are very active. Membership cost me £20 in first year and lasts for the whole 5 years. They organise regular socials as well as having an active role in improving university life for medical students. They are involved in a charity comedy performance which is put on every year by the third years which is always one of the highlights of the year. MedSoc members are also entitled to certain discounts in a variety of venues and shops throughout Cardiff.
Original post by Elwyn
I could go on forever listing all the good things about Cardiff. But heres a quick summary. It's a very cheap city to live in. It's very friendly (I always feel safe in Cardiff). It's quite small but still has all the amenities that you would expect from a Capital city. Good transport links mean that you can get out of the city and into the mountains for a hike or to the beach for a walk within an hour. It also has plenty of nightlife, which is obviously essential to a student city.

The Medical School is based at a new building in The university Hospital of Wales, which has state of the art teaching facilities and an excellent library.

And finally, yes, the MedSoc are very active. Membership cost me £20 in first year and lasts for the whole 5 years. They organise regular socials as well as having an active role in improving university life for medical students. They are involved in a charity comedy performance which is put on every year by the third years which is always one of the highlights of the year. MedSoc members are also entitled to certain discounts in a variety of venues and shops throughout Cardiff.

Cheers bro, I'm going to visit Cardiff Uni on Sunday. Anywhere you think I should definitely have a look at that will influence my decision?
Where did u choose

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending