The Student Room Group

Do you believe in God or not?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by misslovinggrace
The same way you can see your parents love you by their actions I can see that God is real through miracles and unexplainable things.

well maybe but that is a different concept. You could say both are superstitions love may be a superstition (I am willing to accept that). But are you willing to suspect that God maybe a superstition?. I suspect not.
Original post by karl pilkington
Well maybe but I would say he/she has no purpose, if everything evolved then why does he need to be there in the first place? You are free to believe in what you like but I meant that evolution reinforces my lack of belief in God.

It might bring down the idea of a personal God. Point being, evolution doesn't bring down the idea of a deity creating the universe.
Original post by champ_mc99
I'm not Christian but... they don't believe the Earth was created 6000 years ago.

Depends on the kind of Christian. Most of them don't, but you wouldn't be hard-pressed to find incredibly pseudoscientific views about the age of the Earth in some of the least educated parts of the Deep South.
Original post by Hydeman
Depends on the kind of Christian. Most of them don't, but you wouldn't be hard-pressed to find incredibly pseudoscientific views about the age of the Earth in some of the least educated parts of the Deep South.

From what I read, the bible indicates the human race is 6000 years old (still crazy I know), but nothing about the Earth.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
No, don't be moving the goalposts now. Your initial comment was that there are plenty of things for which there is NO evidence, not that there are things most of us haven't seen which we know to be true. There IS evidence for the Earth going round the sun which comes from the known natural laws.

While you may not have read the scientific evidence, it's still there, that's the point. If you wanted to you could go and read the proofs for all of these things and do the necessary experiments in the lab. So you not having bothered to read the evidence for yourself doesn't mean it isn't there.

There is, however, not an iota of scientific or empirical evidence for a god's existence.

You're right there is actual proof of these things. However, discoveries are being mad everyday and until you can show me the proof that God is not real I will continue as I do.

Unless you have tangible evidence that God is not real, Jesus never died on the cross, Moses never freed the children of Israel etc. I would't dare try to rule out Gods existence.
Not defeated. Under the laws of physics the causation argument applies: everything in the universe had a cause and hence the universe did too. If God is outside time and space (where physics works) then He doesn't need a creator.

Secondly, I have no idea why you brought religion into it when you can believe in a God without one, hence irrelevant. I'm not Christian but... they don't believe the Earth was created 6000 years ago.

See? Condition after condition. "If"s all over the place. "If that is true, and if that is true, it follows that that is true if we base it on that". Sorry for not being convinced after this array of fallacies.

Are you being serious now? The vast majority of God-believers "belong" in a religion - to argue that this becomes irrelevant because of the random person believing in a deity but not being part of a religion is, frankly, nonsensical.
That would imply that the Bible is wrong, so yeah - everything comes back to my original argument.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
You're right there is actual proof of these things. However, discoveries are being mad everyday and until you can show me the proof that God is not real I will continue as I do.

Unless you have tangible evidence that God is not real, Jesus never died on the cross, Moses never freed the children of Israel etc. I would't dare try to rule out Gods existence.

That's not how the burden of proof works, it's up to the person making the extraordinary claim to provide the evidence, not up to sceptics to disprove it.

Jesus and Moses probably did exist, that however doesn't prove Jesus actually performed miracles and that he was divine.

Why are these things proof of the existence and divinity of the Christian god, specifically? Not everyone who died on a cross is a god, you know. It was a standard punishment at that time in that part of the world.

From what I read, the bible indicates the human race is 6000 years old (still crazy I know), but nothing about the Earth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Earth_creationism#Interpretations_of_Genesis

Enjoy the slow death of your grey matter. :wink:
Original post by *Stefan*
See? Condition after condition. "If"s all over the place. "If that is true, and if that is true, it follows that that is true if base it on that". Sorry for not being convinced after this array of fallacies.

Are you being serious now? The vast majority of God-believers "belong" in a religion - to argue that this becomes irrelevant because of the random person believing in a deity but not being part of a religion is, frankly, nonsensical.
That would imply that the Bible is wrong, so yeah - everything comes back to my original argument.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That wasn't a condition. "If" was used to put things into perspective to better explain my point. Alright, what if I said: "God is outside the universe before he created it, before Time and Space existed, hence the law of causation didn't apply due to no laws of physics being evident." Same thing mate.

Yes, I'm being serious. You're basically saying defeating religion defeats deism. I said nothing about a personal God. God could be thought of as something that just started things. Einstein hated the idea of a personal God but thought the belief on a non-personal deity was needed to explain the universe. Suddenly, according to your logic, Einstein was false simply because religion was false.

The bible doesn't say the Earth was made 6000 years ago. If you have proof link it.
Original post by karl pilkington
well maybe but that is a different concept. You could say both are superstitions love may be a superstition (I am willing to accept that). But are you willing to suspect that God maybe a superstition?. I suspect not.

But God isn't a superstition.

If you're so sure that God is not real explain how/ who creates gravity.

“Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist.” - Stephen Hawkin
they don't believe the Earth was created 6000 years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Earth_creationism
Original post by Hydeman
I never get soft. Never.

Spoiler

I forsaw this joke. :u:

Your reassurance on the matter is appreciated, though. :colone:

Can't you deduce that from the :cry: emoji? :holmes:

Touche. :holmes:

On the advice of counsel, I would like to exercise my Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination. :pierre:

:colonhash:

I take my slight compliment back. This is why you can't have nice things. :noway:

Spoiler

You don't have a fax machine?! :eek3:

I can't tell whether you're joking or you genuinely find it abnormal I don't have a fax machine. :lolwut:
That's not how the burden of proof works, it's up to the person making the extraordinary claim to provide the evidence, not up to sceptics to disprove it.

Tell me where it says that.
So people who believe in God don't sin?
no. everyone sins, those who believe in God just try not to.

http://www.creationtips.com/earthsage.html

As far as I can see, this is only the case if humans were made immediately after the Earth.
Original post by *Stefan*
You both just defeated your points. Religious people decline to accept that Earth was created without a "Creator". If Earth necessarily needed a creator, what makes you think God does not have s creator himself - and so on?

Also, do people actually think that Earth was created 6000 years ago, and God spoke words which materialised? Doesn't sound like someone's imagination at all :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

not really
God debates are so fun! :banana:
Original post by Hydeman
Why are these things proof of the existence and divinity of the Christian god, specifically? Not everyone who died on a cross is a god, you know. It was a standard punishment at that time in that part of the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Earth_creationism#Interpretations_of_Genesis

Enjoy the slow death of your grey matter. :wink:

I'm not gonna read a whole damn wiki page. Feel free to summarise it for me..

Ain't nobody got time for that.
But God isn't a superstition.

If you're so sure that God is not real explain how/ who creates gravity.

“Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist.” - Stephen Hawkin

That's the worst quote to use for a Theist argument. :biggrin:
Tell me where it says that.

Lmao, are you seriously disputing this when it's common sense? You do know our entire justice system is based on the burden of proof concept.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophic_burden_of_proof

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_burden_of_proof

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending