The Student Room Group

Do you believe in God or not?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by champ_mc99
That's the worst quote to use for a Theist argument. :biggrin:

Damn it :eek:

*logs off for the evening*
Original post by PrinceProsperity
no. everyone sins, those who believe in God just try not to.

You're not making any sense. If everyone sins, including theists, then clearly not believing in God does not provide any sort of excuse as by that logic theists wouldn't sin, and by your own admission they do.

Secondly, any reasonable logic would dictate that's it's actually theists who would desperately try not to sin because of fear of punishment in the afterlife.

Your very concept of sin is dependent on believing in a moral god. An atheist is therefore extremely unlikely to believe there is such thing as sin.

You ninja'ed me... :ninja:

I guess its payback for last time :tongue:
That wasn't a condition. "If" was used to put things into perspective to better explain my point. Alright, what if I said: "God is outside the universe before he created it, before Time and Space existed, hence the law of causation didn't apply due to no laws of physics being evident." Same thing mate.

Yes, I'm being serious. You're basically saying defeating religion defeats deism. I said nothing about a personal God. God could be thought of as something that just started things. Einstein hated the idea of a personal God but thought the belief on a non-personal deity was needed to explain the universe. Suddenly, according to your logic, Einstein was false simply because religion was false.

The bible doesn't say the Earth was made 6000 years ago. If you have proof link it.

Same thing? Not at all. Now you've turned it into a fact - give proof of its unconditional truth (that's what a fact is), and we shall discuss further. Otherwise, it's nothing but a twisted conditional.

Nice appeal to authority there (which makes little sense). As I said - this is not about the random person randomly believing in a deity (not that it changes anything per se as to the point above). Someone may believe that the Earth was created by a "Dragon God"? Do I need to refer to that when discussing the topic of "God"?

Read Genesis 5 and 11. As an added bonus, here's the truth that the earth is flat:
Isaiah 11:12 12 And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH.
Revelation 7:1 1 And after these things I saw four angels standing on FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree. (I do concede that the Bible is not considered the word of God, though most Christians take it to be as such).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PrinceProsperity
not really

Strong argument. :colonhash:
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
You're not making any sense. If everyone sins, including theists, then clearly not believing in God does not provide any sort of excuse as by that logic theists wouldn't sin, and by your own admission they do.

Secondly, any reasonable logic would dictate that's it's actually theists who would desperately try not to sin because of fear of punishment in the afterlife.

Your very concept of sin is dependent on believing in a moral god. An atheist is therefore extremely unlikely to believe there is such thing as sin.

The fear of god is the first step to knowing him.
Lmao, are you seriously disputing this when it's common sense? You do know our entire justice system is based on the burden of proof concept.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophic_burden_of_proof

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_burden_of_proof

Original post by Hydeman
Why are these things proof of the existence and divinity of the Christian god, specifically? Not everyone who died on a cross is a god, you know. It was a standard punishment at that time in that part of the world.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Earth_creationism#Interpretations_of_GenesisEnjoy the slow death of your grey matter.

I dont understand why you guys feel I have time to be reading Wiki pages :colonhash:
That wasn't a condition. "If" was used to put things into perspective to better explain my point. Alright, what if I said: "God is outside the universe before he created it, before Time and Space existed, hence the law of causation didn't apply due to no laws of physics being evident." Same thing mate.

Yes, I'm being serious. You're basically saying defeating religion defeats deism. I said nothing about a personal God. God could be thought of as something that just started things. Einstein hated the idea of a personal God but thought the belief on a non-personal deity was needed to explain the universe. Suddenly, according to your logic, Einstein was false simply because religion was false.

The bible doesn't say the Earth was made 6000 years ago. If you have proof link it.

Actually, it's not believed that the laws of physics as we know them applied to the singularity either. The origin, if any, of the singularity itself is currently unknown, so trying to invoke God is a futile exercise.

Original post by misslovinggrace
But God isn't a superstition.

If you're so sure that God is not real explain how/ who creates gravity.

“Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist.” - Stephen Hawkin

Why are you assuming there has to be a being that creates gravity?

Also, I have no idea why you quoted Stephen Hawking, you do know he's an atheist, don't you?
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm not gonna read a whole damn wiki page. Feel free to summarise it for me..Ain't nobody got time for that.
The Wikipedia article wasn't meant for you -- it was in response to @champ_mc99. :facepalm: The first part of the post was the response to your post:

Original post by Hydeman
Why are these things proof of the existence and divinity of the Christian god, specifically? Not everyone who died on a cross is a god, you know. It was a standard punishment at that time in that part of the world.

With comprehension fails as monumental as that, can you blame people for thinking that religionists are not the brightest people around? :moon:

http://www.creationtips.com/earthsage.html

As far as I can see, this is only the case if humans were made immediately after the Earth.

That does seem to be the contention of Young Earth creationists, yes. But even if it wasn't, the centrepiece of their ideology is that the world (i.e. Earth) is around 6 000 years old, which was my original point about some Christians not believing that the Earth is of that age.
(edited 7 years ago)
I dont understand why you guys feel I have time to be reading Wiki pages :colonhash:

All you need to do is read the first few paragraphs. I do however find it odd that you ask for evidence and then refuse to read it when it's provided.
But God isn't a superstition.

If you're so sure that God is not real explain how/ who creates gravity.

“Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist.” - Stephen Hawkin

well in my view God is a superstition someone doesn't need to have created something for it to exist. Gravity exists as a force due to Physics or maybe gravity exists 'not as a force but as a consequence of the curvature of spacetime caused by the uneven distribution of mass/energy; and resulting in gravitational time dilation, where time lapses more slowly in lower (stronger) gravitational potential.' Just because something exists doesn't mean it has to have a creator. If you look at an oak tree you don't think God created it because you know it grew form an acorn, so why can't the universe/world have come to exist in the same way.
Original post by *Stefan*
Same thing? Not at all. Now you've turned it into a fact - give proof of its unconditional truth (that's what a fact is), and we shall discuss further. Otherwise, it's nothing but a twisted conditional.

Nice appeal to authority there (which makes little sense). As I said - this is not about the random person randomly believing in a deity (not that it changes anything per se as to the point above). Someone may believe that the Earth was created by a "Dragon God"? Do I need to refer to that when discussing the topic of "God"?

Read Genesis 5 and 11. As an added bonus, here's the truth that the earth is flat:
Isaiah 11:12 12 And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH.
Revelation 7:1 1 And after these things I saw four angels standing on FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree. (I do concede that the Bible is not considered the word of God, though most Christians take it to be as such).

The physicists agree that before the big bang, the laws of physics stop working. God is before the big bang.

A God can be a personal or non-personal God.

These quotes from the bible I won't bother with (not even Christian).
Original post by acupofgreentea
I forsaw this joke. :u:Your reassurance on the matter is appreciated, though. :colone:

Foresaw* or specifically phrased it like that to elicit the reassurance? :pierre:

Touche. :holmes:

Ha! :hahaha:

:colonhash:I take my slight compliment back. This is why you can't have nice things. :noway:

Spoiler

Women, in a nutshell: getting mad about silence. :giggle: :lol:

Spoiler

I can't tell whether you're joking or you genuinely find it abnormal I don't have a fax machine. :lolwut:

I'm joking. I'm not that archaic. :erm:

Original post by chemting
You ninja'ed me... :ninja:

I guess its payback for last time :tongue:

Sweet revenge is very much a staple of my diet, yes. :yep:
(edited 7 years ago)
Actually, it's not believed that the laws of physics as we know them applied to the singularity either. The origin, if any, of the singularity itself is currently unknown, so trying to invoke God is a futile exercise.

That's true. This point was referring to why God doesn't need a creator.
The physicists agree that before the big bang, the laws of physics stop working. God is before the big bang.

A God can be a personal or non-personal God.

These quotes from the bible I won't bother with (not even Christian).

Prove that this is true then. I've asked this three times. Give concrete proof that God existed before the Big Bang and that he thereby created earth.

I agree. How is that relevant to what I said?

So, you asked for proof for what I said from the Bible and now say you won't bother with it. Sounds legit :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's true. This point was referring to why God doesn't need a creator.

Well it hasn't really explained anything, it's just special pleading. Space and time were created with the Big Bang, there is no evidence that there is anything outside of that, it is a completely baseless claim that religionists have invented to try and conserve God.
(edited 7 years ago)

Why are you assuming there has to be a being that creates gravity?

Also, I have no idea why you quoted Stephen Hawking, you do know he's an atheist, don't you?

f29.png

You got me. I don't even know what to say.
Well it hasn't really explained anything, it's just special pleading. Space and time were created with the Big Bang, there is no evidence that there is anything outside of that, it is a completely baseless claim that religionists have invented to try and conserve God.

Again not my point whether there is evidence or not. Point was this explains why God doesn't need a creator.
Original post by karl pilkington
well in my view God is a superstition someone doesn't need to have created something for it to exist. Gravity exists as a force due to Physics or maybe gravity exists 'not as a force but as a consequence of the curvature of spacetime caused by the uneven distribution of mass/energy; and resulting in gravitational time dilation, where time lapses more slowly in lower (stronger) gravitational potential.' Just because something exists doesn't mean it has to have a creator. If you look at an oak tree you don't think God created it because you know it grew form an acorn, so why can't the universe/world have come to exist in the same way.

All you need to do is read the first few paragraphs. I do however find it odd that you ask for evidence and then refuse to read it when it's provided.

Guys... I'm out :ahhhhh::bricks:
God is bae?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending