The Student Room Group

St Andrews or Exeter

Absolutely any thoughts are appreciated!

I'd like people's thoughts on which university I should choose / you would choose.

I'd be studying German post A level, and Arabic and Russian ab initio at St Andrews.
I'd be studying German post A level, and Arabic ab initio at Exeter.
Both with the year abroad.

Benefits of St Andrews
(I get the impressions of)
- a better language department
- better sport
- better debating society
- higher prestige

Downsides of St Andrews
- more work (studying three languages, not two)
- fiercely competitive accommodation / prices higher
- might be a bit too idyllic for me

Benefits of Exeter
- less work (studying two languages, not three)
- lower prices for accommodation
- better night life / more opportunity to do typical stuff

Downsides of Exeter opposites of the benefits of St Andrews.

I'm not heavily a parties person, but I'd like the opportunities to do stuff like that, because I might not like them 'cos I've been to bad ones.

St Andrews seems to be a lot more into the arts, which I'm not really into.
I'm fine with quieter places, but I'd like the opportunity to get involved into a lot of nightlife regardless.

I still need to visit both places (though St Andrews might pose a big problem) but I want to get a better idea right now.

Feel free to dispute any information because this is only what I've gathered so far.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

:bump:
*stalks thread*
Academically it is likely to be much of a muchness with regards to quality, though how much (or little) you wish to study Russian should obviously inform your decision quite strongly. I think you are probably correct that Exeter will be more social, but you will have plenty of opportunities at St Andrews as well. It is certainly true that I have read a number of negative reviews from students about the social scene at SA, but I doubt it is as bad as they suggest. All you need is a club or two and a few pubs and you are set.

Accommodation may be cheaper at Exeter in the first year, but have you compared prices thereafter? Exeter is not known for being an enormously cheap place to live.

If I were you, the university I chose would depend on whether or not I wanted to study Russian. That aside, in general my personal preference would be Exeter. I should stress, though, that this is simply because I always enjoyed the thought of living in that part of the country.
Original post by ByronicHero
Academically it is likely to be much of a muchness with regards to quality, though how much (or little) you wish to study Russian should obviously inform your decision quite strongly. I think you are probably correct that Exeter will be more social, but you will have plenty of opportunities at St Andrews as well. It is certainly true that I have read a number of negative reviews from students about the social scene at SA, but I doubt it is as bad as they suggest. All you need is a club or two and a few pubs and you are set.

Accommodation may be cheaper at Exeter in the first year, but have you compared prices thereafter? Exeter is not known for being an enormously cheap place to live.

If I were you, the university I chose would depend on whether or not I wanted to study Russian. That aside, in general my personal preference would be Exeter. I should stress, though, that this is simply because I always enjoyed the thought of living in that part of the country.

I definitely want to learn it, but I'm not going to sacrifice having a good time to learn it straight away. To my understanding at Exeter you can pick up another language in the second year, which would probably make more sense and be more beneficial than starting two languages from scratch at once.

Also I'm not sure if I might be going in over my head, considering that I am expected to put 40 hours a week when I was viewing just the one subject (I can't remember exactly where it said that.)(I haven't seen the expected hours for multiple subjects though.) Although I do think I'm very good at learning languages now.

I'll go check / I'll go over the prices for the following years, though really the quality of the education / prospects and whether I'll enjoy it are my concern. That was kinda just an added bonus.

Thanks a lot for your answer. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by XcitingStuart
I definitely want to learn it, but I'm not going to sacrifice having a good time to learn it straight away.

It's not that bad in St Andrews. There are a lot of parties around, and while the only nightclub in town is pretty low quality, a lot of people hang out in the union at night (I've heard some pretty positive opinions about the place, though I'm not much of a partygoer myself. St Andrews also has raisin weekend, where people spend the weekend partying, and then the freshers go to a massive foam fight in St Salvator's quad: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3279237/We-feeling-white-St-Andrew-s-University-gets-messy-year-students-celebrate-Raisin-Monday-huge-foam-party.html
Reply 6

I'd like people's thoughts on which university I should choose / you would choose.

I'd be studying German post A level, and Arabic and Russian ab initio at St Andrews.

Benefits of St Andrews
- better sport
- higher prestige

Downsides of St Andrews

Benefits of Exeter

I'm not heavily a parties person, but I'd like the opportunities to do stuff like that, because I might not like them 'cos I've been to bad ones.

I'm fine with quieter places, but I'd like the opportunity to get involved into a lot of nightlife regardless.

I still need to visit both places (though St Andrews might pose a big problem) but I want to get a better idea right now.

Feel free to dispute any information because this is only what I've gathered so far.

I would have picked st Andrews on Prestige and location.
Good luck with your choice.
Original post by TimGB
It's not that bad in St Andrews. There are a lot of parties around, and while the only nightclub in town is pretty low quality, a lot of people hang out in the union at night (I've heard some pretty positive opinions about the place, though I'm not much of a partygoer myself. St Andrews also has raisin weekend, where people spend the weekend partying, and then the freshers go to a massive foam fight in St Salvator's quad: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3279237/We-feeling-white-St-Andrew-s-University-gets-messy-year-students-celebrate-Raisin-Monday-huge-foam-party.html

I'm just not sure I want to risk it, especially as it's unlikely I will be able to visit the place.

Original post by M14B
I would have picked st Andrews on Prestige and location.
Good luck with your choice.

Thanks! You too if you start uni this year. :smile:

Benefits of St Andrews
- better sport
- higher prestige

Downsides of St Andrews

Benefits of Exeter

Got offers from both a few years ago and chose St Andrews, PM me with any questions you have! :smile:
Reply 9
I live in Exeter and will be studying in St Andrews this September. If I am honest I think Exeter Uni is over rated. Sure it's a good university but I don't think it's quite at the same level as St Andrews. Whilst I wouldn't trust rankings too much, take a look at the Guardian, Times Higher Education and QS rankings. Exeter likes to make a point that they are part of the Russell Group (which counts for next to nothing in the real world) and that's their main selling point in my opinion. That said both are good universities so either will give you a great education. I do suggest visiting both if you have the chance.
Original post by HCI
I live in Exeter and will be studying in St Andrews this September. If I am honest I think Exeter Uni is over rated. Sure it's a good university but I don't think it's quite at the same level as St Andrews. Whilst I wouldn't trust rankings too much, take a look at the Guardian, Times Higher Education and QS rankings. Exeter likes to make a point that they are part of the Russell Group (which counts for next to nothing in the real world) and that's their main selling point in my opinion. That said both are good universities so either will give you a great education. I do suggest visiting both if you have the chance.

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anyone else? Still undecided. :/
I think you've got enough answers. tbh, I'm unsure about what you want to know more about.

All universities/courses have pros and cons. All up to you which pros you prefer and which cons you don't mind about. And no one on the earth can answer your question from your viewpoint.

If you want to know some specific information, then people like Capricancer can help you :smile:
Original post by RussellG
I think you've got enough answers. tbh, I'm unsure about what you want to know more about.

All universities/courses have pros and cons. All up to you which pros you prefer and which cons you don't mind about. And no one on the earth can answer your question from your viewpoint.

If you want to know some specific information, then people like Capricancer can help you :smile:

It's fine :smile: ; I've decided Exeter after looking thoroughly at the modules (which I really should have done at the beginning, but oh well. :tongue:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
It's fine :smile: ; I've decided Exeter after looking thoroughly at the modules (which I really should have done at the beginning, but oh well. :tongue:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good choice! By the way, the sports facilities are much better at Exeter( but obviously Golf would be better at St.Andrews)

Benefits of St Andrews
- better sport
- higher prestige

Downsides of St Andrews

Benefits of Exeter

As a student at St Andrews don't let the rep for bad night life put you off! it's unfounded in some ways. Yes there is only one "club" and it sucks. However, it does have a nightlife, just not one the same as most universities. People still go out a lot and we have the union and many pubs/bars and we are big on houseparties. Our societies also have many events etc so there's always something to do. If it's social life that'll put you off st andrews, its not bad enough to not go there, especially if you're not massive on parties.
Yes academically it seems rigorous, but I don't think we do any more work than other universities,. Yes there are three subjects in first and second year, but I feel like it may be just a little less of each in each year, hence the extra year of studying.
Original post by Film
Good choice! By the way, the sports facilities are much better at Exeter( but obviously Golf would be better at St.Andrews)

Our BRAND new sports centre is literally being built right at St Andrews...
Reply 17
Original post by Charlie_Ellie
Our BRAND new sports centre is literally being built right at St Andrews...

Yes this true it is being built, but is very substandard and pales to the sports center at Exeter. Seriously with the weather in St. Andrews, and it will only have 4 indoor Tennis courts?
Original post by Film
Yes this true it is being built, but is very substandard and pales to the sports center at Exeter. Seriously with the weather in St. Andrews, and it will only have 4 indoor Tennis courts?

Knowing St Andrews, when we had 4 outdoor tennis courts as well as the 2 at uni hall and a few others elsewhere they were mostly empty. Never had a trouble playing whenever we wanted to play.

St Andrews is a small school, 4 will be plenty enough.
Seriously tho why is everyone talking about short term stuff like tennis courts, clubs, pubs and sports facilities? The bigger issue is that St Andrews has higher prestige than Exeter and better job prospects. Doubt you will be sweating the small stuff like tennis courts when you're 30 and looking back regretting how you closed down your job prospects by not picking the best uni. It's a no brainer, St Andrews every time.

Original post by Rorschach II

Benefits of St Andrews
- better sport
- higher prestige

Downsides of St Andrews

Benefits of Exeter

Original post by Rorschach II

Anyone else? Still undecided. :/

Latest

Trending

Trending