The Student Room Group

Would you ever consider changing your name?

I've dreamed of changing my name for upwards of five years now.

I'm somewhat distanced from my family and I simply don't like my surname at all. My middle name is my mother's first name and I don't like it much either. Im fond of my first name but it has Italian/German origins and the name just doesn't match my surname (which has mixed English/Scottish roots) and so I have two minds about keeping my first name because although I'm fond of it, it's a bit of a hindrance considering how foreign it sounds and how unusual the spelling is.

I'm now planning on moving out in a year anyway and once I've got a job after uni I don't really plan on going back to my small rural hometown at all. Im going to be doing a degree in politics with French at Glasgow and so it's likely travel would be big part of my career considering the languages part. A name change is something I've wanted for so long and I have some names picked out that I love. Ive got my heart set on two really nice surnames that I love and go really well with my first name if I decide to keep it. I plan on changing my name in a few years (my family might not react well at this stage of my life and I want to practice going by my chosen names so I'm certain they fit me) so I was just wondering if anyone else has either changed their name or has considered changing their name?

Scroll to see replies

my name got changed when i was 7
Reply 2
I'd do it in a flash. Always hated my name.
Original post by TinyPhasma

I'm somewhat distanced from my family and I simply don't like my surname at all. My middle name is my mother's first name and I don't like it much either. Im fond of my first name but it has Italian/German origins and the name just doesn't match my surname (which has mixed English/Scottish roots) and so I have two minds about keeping my first name because although I'm fond of it, it's a bit of a hindrance considering how foreign it sounds and how unusual the spelling is.

I'm now planning on moving out in a year anyway and once I've got a job after uni I don't really plan on going back to my small rural hometown at all. Im going to be doing a degree in politics with French at Glasgow and so it's likely travel would be big part of my career considering the languages part. A name change is something I've wanted for so long and I have some names picked out that I love. Ive got my heart set on two really nice surnames that I love and go really well with my first name if I decide to keep it. I plan on changing my name in a few years (my family might not react well at this stage of my life and I want to practice going by my chosen names so I'm certain they fit me) so I was just wondering if anyone else has either changed their name or has considered changing their name?

I'd really like people to know me as Big Moisty
I wouldn't
I know a bit about name changing. It doesnt require anything special and you can change it instantly as long as the reason isnt dishonest i,e evading creditors. You cna either do it by deedpoll (£36) or with the aid of a notary by Deed if needed. I had my name changed when young, but i think its a good idea, although be aware you will still need to prove things like certificates in your previous name.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by thefatone
I'd really like people to know me as Big Moisty

Could be worse:

Reply 7
I find my name boring, but I think I've become too used to it to change it now. My sisters wanted my parents to call me Trimina for some reason, and I actually quite like that as a name, even though it is a bit strange. If I were to change my name, I think that's what I'd change it to that.
Reply 8
personally, I wouldn't change my name. if you want to do it then do it. do what will make you happy (short and long term). however, if you decide to get married to someone, wouldn't your surname be changed (if you change your surname)to the man your going to marry anyways if you are a female but I guess it would be okay if your a male... also your last name is a history of you. your family. your dads last name and your dads dad last name and that dad's dad last name xD (do you get what I'm trying to say?) you should be proud to carry your family's name. alternatively, I guess its okay if you just change your first name.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
I've been tempted to in the past as I think my first name sounds a bit tacky personally but I don't think I'd ever do it. I've had my surname changed and the next time it'll be changed is when I get married in a couple of yrs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by B00510
personally, I wouldn't change my name. if you want to do it then do it. do what will make you happy (short and long term). however, if you decide to get married to someone, wouldn't your surname be changed (if you change your surname)to the man your going to marry anyways if you are a female but I guess it would be okay if your a male... also your last name is a history of you. your family. your dads last name and your dads dad last name and that dad's dad last name xD (do you get what I'm trying to say?) you should be proud to carry your family's name. alternatively, I guess its okay if you just change your first name.

Meh marriage is something I'm kinda of iffy on. I mean if it happens it happens but I just don't see the point in spending thousands and thousands on what is in my opinion, a tired and outdated institution which isn't necessary to "prove my love" to someone. Even if I did get married I like the idea of a double barrel surname or even keeping my own last name simply because I don't see why I should have to change it.
Reply 11
Original post by 999tigger
I know a bit about name changing. It doesnt require anything special and you can change it instantly as long as the reason isnt dishonest i,e evading creditors. You cna either do it by deedpoll (£36) or with the aid of a notary by Deed if needed. I had my name changed when young, but i think its a good idea, although be aware you will still need to prove things like certificates in your previous name.

Yeah I've done a lot of research before becoming set on the idea. I want to be sure before I get into anything lol. Hence why I'm waiting a little while before officially changing anything

My name sucks it gets autocorrected to sh*t :cry:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm definitely changing mine, since i can remember I've wanted to change it! I'm getting a deed poll to change my first name to lily (it's liberty right now so close I guess?) and my last name to moore 😊
Definitely. I hate my name. :colonhash:

I consider changing my last name but my father's against the idea. It's not a big deal for me anyway. Do whatever makes you more comfortable, just make sure you discuss it with you parents ahead of time because it'll upset them (i think) if you change it without them knowing. Goodluck!
I would, but not because I dislike my birth name, it is simply because I don't want to be associated with the past and want to start afresh. I have considered changing it and consulted a solicitor, but it is expensive.
No i kinda like it
no, i wouldn't. it means 'Gift of God' and i'm trying to remember that. :yep:
Meh marriage is something I'm kinda of iffy on. I mean if it happens it happens but I just don't see the point in spending thousands and thousands

You don't have to spend more than £120.

Latest

Trending

Trending