The Student Room Group

FP1- January 2010 Question 6 help! (complex and real roots)

Hi,
Can anyone help me answer this question? Im stuck on how to get the real root as the coefficients are not given
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by paccap
Hi,
Can anyone help me answer this question? Im stuck on how to get the real root as the coefficients are not given
Thanks

You're given that the coefficient of xx is 66 and you know that two roots of the cubic are 5i5-i and 5+i5+i. What do you know about roots and the coefficient of the xx term in a cubic?
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
You're given that the coefficient of xx is 66 and you know that two roots of the cubic are 5i5-i and 5+i5+i. What do you know about roots and the coefficient of the xx term in a cubic?

Hint, if you call the real root mm, then what are (5i)(5+i)(5-i)(5+i), m(5+i)m(5+i) and m(5i)m(5-i) and what should they all add up to?
Reply 3
Original post by Zacken
Hint, if you call the real root mm, then what are (5i)(5+i)(5-i)(5+i), m(5+i)m(5+i) and m(5i)m(5-i) and what should they all add up to?

Should the sum of the roots add up to 6?
Reply 4
If all the coefficients of a polynomial function are real and say the complex number, w w is a root, this also means that it's conjugate w w^* is also a root of the polynomial.
Reply 5
Original post by paccap
Should the sum of the roots add up to 6?

Not the sum of the roots. But the sum of alternating two products of the roots.

You know know that if a cubic has roots α,β,γ\alpha, \beta, \gamma then αβ+αγ+βγ=coefficient of x\alpha \beta + \alpha \gamma + \beta \gamma = \text{coefficient of } \, x.

So, in this case: (5i)(5+i)+m(5i)+m(5+i)=6(5-i)(5+i) + m(5-i) + m(5+i) = 6.
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken
Not the sum of the roots. But the sum of alternating two products of the roots.

You know know that if a cubic has roots α,β,γ\alpha, \beta, \gamma then αβ+αγ+βγ=coefficient of x\alpha \beta + \alpha \gamma + \beta \gamma = \text{coefficient of } \, x.

So, in this case: (5i)(5+i)+m(5i)+m(5+i)=6(5-i)(5+i) + m(5-i) + m(5+i) = 6.

OK, I get that part now! So solving it gives me m=-2
With that can I multiply out (z-5-i)(z-5+1)(z+2) and compare coefficients to get what p and q are?
Reply 7
Original post by paccap

Correct.

With that can I multiply out (z-5-i)(z-5+1)(z+2) and compare coefficients to get what p and q are?

Indeed.
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken
Correct.

Indeed.

Awesome, thanks for your help!!
Original post by Zacken
Correct.

Indeed.

But I think it would be much quicker just to take the sum and product of the roots?
Original post by paccap

I'd just do p=-(sum of roots), q=-(product of roots) for a much quicker solution.
Reply 11
Original post by IrrationalRoot
But I think it would be much quicker just to take the sum and product of the roots?

I agree, but the OP doesn't seem very comfortable with the Vieta formulae so I thought it best to let him go about it on his own devices rather than unsettle him more.
Original post by Zacken
I agree, but the OP doesn't seem very comfortable with the Vieta formulae so I thought it best to let him go about it on his own devices rather than unsettle him more.

Still, he needs to be comfortable with them and get used to getting the answers the quickest way/way intended by the examiners.
For now it's ok I guess but good to let him know :smile:.
Reply 13
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Still, he needs to be comfortable with them and get used to getting the answers the quickest way/way intended by the examiners.
For now it's ok I guess but good to let him know :smile:.

Yeah, fair enough. I agree, but I'd try and let him know after he's done the question and reported back with success.
Reply 14
Original post by Zacken

would it be possible to show me how? maybe i can try and understand whats going on. I did get the correct answers, q =52 and p = -8
Original post by paccap
would it be possible to show me how? maybe i can try and understand whats going on. I did get the correct answers, q =52 and p = -8

Page 27 of this http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-MFP2-TEXTBOOK.PDF should help.
Reply 16
Original post by paccap

So, if a cubic equation x3+ax2+bx+cx^3 + ax^2 + bx + c has roots α,β,γ\alpha, \beta, \gamma then we can say three things:

c=αβγc = -\alpha \beta \gamma, and b=αβ+αγ+γβb = \alpha \beta + \alpha \gamma + \gamma \beta and a=(α+β+γ)a = -(\alpha + \beta + \gamma).

If you think this looks like magic, it's not. You can easily derive them yourself (and I do, since I always forget) by setting (xα)(xβ)(xγ)=x3+ax2+bx+c(x-\alpha)(x-\beta)(x-\gamma) = x^3 + ax^2 + bx + c and comparing coefficients.

In this case, we have α=5+i\alpha = 5+i, β=5i\beta = 5-i and γ=2\gamma = -2 so αβγ=q-\alpha \beta \gamma = q is easy to work out and (α+β+γ)=p-(\alpha + \beta + \gamma) = p is also easy to work out.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17

So if i did -(5+5-2) for p and -(5x5x-2) for q. That would be the quicker method?
Original post by paccap
So if i did -(5+5-2) for p and -(5x5x-2) for q. That would be the quicker method?

Well not 5s but 5+i and 5-i, since those are your roots (and 2).
But yes that would be quick.
Reply 19
Original post by Zacken
So, if a cubic equation x3+ax2+bx+cx^3 + ax^2 + bx + c has roots α,β,γ\alpha, \beta, \gamma then we can say three things:

c=αβγc = -\alpha \beta \gamma, and b=αβ+αγ+γβb = \alpha \beta + \alpha \gamma + \gamma \beta and a=(α+β+γ)a = -(\alpha + \beta + \gamma).

If you think this looks like magic, it's not. You can easily derive them yourself (and I do, since I always forget) by setting (xα)(xβ)(xγ)=x3+ax2+bx+c(x-\alpha)(x-\beta)(x-\gamma) = x^3 + ax^2 + bx + c and comparing coefficients.

In this case, we have α=5+i\alpha = 5+i, β=5i\beta = 5-i and γ=2\gamma = -2 so αβγ=q-\alpha \beta \gamma = q is easy to work out and (α+β+γ)=p-(\alpha + \beta + \gamma) = p is also easy to work out.

Awesome! Thanks for the explanation, i remember doing this but i wasnt 100% on the method. Ill be sure to practice this method

Quick Reply

Latest